Conley signs contract extension

Newman

The Memphis Grizzlies signed point guard Mike Conley to a contract extension late Monday night, according to his agent and father, Mike Conley Sr.

Conley

Conley Sr., who along with Bill Duffy represents his son, would not specify the terms of the contract. But other sources with knowledge of the situation said the deal is worth $45 million over five years.

The Grizzlies' decision to lock up Conley as their point guard of the future was sparked by his excellent play in the preseason and over the regular season's first three games.

Conley, the fourth pick of the 2007 draft, has averaged 15 points, 8.3 assists and a league-high 3.67 steals in leading Memphis to a 2-1 start.

"Did I envision that Mike would play like this? Yes," Conley Sr. said in a telephone interview on Monday. "But I did not have confidence that the Grizzlies would embrace him like they have with this contract. The first thing I told them when we began negotiating was that I didn't want to go further with these discussions unless Mike was their guy. They said he's their guy."

Conley's signing came just minutes before Monday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline for 2007 draft picks to sign contract extensions. With teams reluctant to sign players because of the uncertainty of the league's next collective bargaining agreement, Conley became only the fourth player from his class to receive an extension.

Source

I am surprised but I suppose the Grizz believe that Conley is going to play like this for the rest of the season so the contract isn't too bad.

Overpaid. I've never seen him as a $9 million player and I don't think he'll prove to be a $9 mil player. I think they should have used this money on other guys, maybe even in this upcoming free agency.

He's shown flashes in the past 3 games but he's still no where near worth $9 million per year. Grizzlies are spending, first the Rudy Gay contract and now the Conley extension, makes you wonder if they will pay up to Gasol and Randolph.

Well, Conley is a big part of their team. While he hasn't been putting up major numbers throughout his career, he's still been a very solid point guard for them. Since he's starting to play good basketball this year, I think they decided that they were going to go ahead and give him the extension. Did they overpay for him? Probably. But it's one of things where they knew that they needed to get something done, and they did what they thought it would take. Decent move for the Grizz.

Wasn't Parker 50 million in 4 years? That is 5 million more dollars in one less year.

Either way, it's pretty close.

Jameer Nelson gets $7 mil. Mo Williams $8.5 mil. Devin Harris $9 mil. Do they really think Mike Conley is in the same category as those guys?

And wasn't OJ supposed to move to the PG spot? What happened to that?

Completely stupid move by the Grizzlies.

Either way, it's pretty close.

Jameer Nelson gets $7 mil. Mo Williams $8.5 mil. Devin Harris $9 mil. Do they really think Mike Conley is in the same category as those guys?

And wasn't OJ supposed to move to the PG spot? What happened to that?

Completely stupid move by the Grizzlies.

Oh yeah, I agree completely, he is terribly overpaid but I just wanted to get the facts straight

Chris Wallace has been here long enough, and Grizzlies fans are tired of him. He got the Randolph deal done, but other than that, the front office has had way to many mistakes for this team to ever be taken seriously.

He's a restricted free agent after this year. At the very least they could've just waited and matched any offers made to him. Nobody is stupid enough to give Mike Conley that much money. It's a joke to see so many teams overpaying, especially a small market team like Memphis, with a potential lockout looming about player salaries.

Conley Vows To Validate Extension

Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley has vowed to live up to the lucrative contract extension he signed earlier this week.

Conley received a five-year, $40 million deal despite up-and-down play so far in his career. Memphis was inspired to extend the young guard thanks to his strong play in the preseason.

"I forget the past very quickly. I'm all about what I'm doing right now," Conley said.

"This year is different for me. I'm a different player. This year is going to be a big year for me and the Memphis Grizzlies. Now, I know that they believe in me. They trust me. I believe I belong and they believe that too."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69919/20101103/conley_vows_to_validate_extension/

I really like to see this, and I think he's going to turn his career around. So far he hasn't turned out to what Memphis expected him to be, but this year so far he's already showing that he can play ball. If he keeps up the numbers he has now, then this deal that he just signed will be a great one for both side. In my opinion it's obvious that he's playing with a purpose now, and that will play a big factor in him keeping up the great play.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Lone Granger

This is a motivating tool for him. People are already criticizing him and the deal. Memphis has a talented young core that can do a lot of damage. Conley has a chance to grow and develop with this team and ultimately emerge as a leader. People should cut him some slack and let him play basketball.