Josh Howard Cleared for Practice; Return Still Unknown

Josh Howard visited with Dr. David Altcheck at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York on Thursday and said he was cleared to participate in games of three-on-three, five-on-five, and more contact drills as he continues his recovery from left knee surgery last March.

I could be a month away. (Reuters Pictures) Howard doesn't have a timetable, but he will remain cautious about his return, even has the former all-star small forward continues to freely move on the court as if he has no complications. "Some days I feel good. Some days I feel bad. It just depends on my workload," Howard said on Friday. "It's going to be some sore moments. The doctor already let me know that's going to happen, it's just how I fight through it. Coming from an injury like this, that's known to happen, just keep fighting through it, hopefully it'll get better.

"Mostly I'm just watching out for setback," said, Howard, who admitted that he had a setback about two weeks ago that forced him to sit out a few days. "Strained it a little bit. Other than that, I got right back into the swing of things."

The Wizards have always targeted December as a realistic return date for Howard and the team won't force him back before it's time

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/11/josh-howard-expects-to-start-f.html#more

I never really saw Howard play in Washington other than one game against the Raptors, so I can't really comment on how much his return will help the Wizards, but I'd imagine it would be a boost considering he is the best small forward on the roster, flaws and all.

No doubt it will help a lot. Not only will it bolster their starting lineup (when he gets back into shape and completely healthy), but it also makes Washington so much deeper. Like BFT, he's the best small forward on the roster, so you think about putting him in there, and then you have your current starter on the bench. With the play of Al Thornton he's going to be a force as well, and having a guy like that come off the bench will be a major help. Adding him into the lineup makes them a lot smarter, and better defensively as well, so I think it will help a lot more than most people give it credit for. Good news that he's starting to get back into practice.