Should Toronto Have Taken a Chance on Beasley?

I know now may not be the most opportune time to make this thread considering his 42 point game the other night and what not, but I've actually been thinking about this for a while after seeing just how untalented the Raptors.

As everybody knows, the Raptors could've easily had Beasley in the sign and trade for Bosh, but Colangelo wanted no part of him because of concerns around his work ethic, attitude and all that crap so he said no and took the $13.5M or whatever TPE instead.

So the question is, should Toronto have rolled the dice and taken a chance on Beasley?

I know that I said in the summer that I wasn't interested, but after actually watching this team and just how untalented they actually are, I definitely think I would've acquired Beasley in the summer. Anybody else feel the same?

Of course we should have, there was no risk to taking him on, and every other team in the league that COULD have taken him should have. The red flags around this kid were so stupid, even if he failed you could have just cut him.

I was laughing when people were saying Beasley was being offered for free to teams with cap, I thought it was foolish, but apparently it wasn't.

Like I said in the other thread, people acted like he was a scrub in Miami, but he was actually very solid for that team, the expectations were just too high for the kid from the get go. He was expected to come in and be Robin to Wade's Batman as a rookie, which was just crazy for a 19 year old.

There's no question about it that they should have.

Why would you pass up on a guy that has #2 overall pick potential? Your in desperate need of a star player, and he would have been the best option for them that has that "star" talent. He's showing lately in Minnesota that when he's asked to play big he can, and Toronto really missed out on him. Even back then I knew that they should have traded for him, because once he got of Miami I was sure that he'd revive his career.

I think the expectations from the Heat for him to come right in and be that second star that Wade needed really threw him off. Now that people were doubting him (everyone around the league, including in Minnesota), he used that as drive to get better and come back stronger, and a better player than ever. He's definitely making all those teams that passed on him regret that decision. I know the Pacers passed up on a deal that involved a first round pick I believe, and they are regretting it as well.

Yes, it would have been better than the deal that led Bosh out of Toronto anyways.

It would've been the exact same deal, except the TPE that the Raptors got would be around $8M or so instead of $13.5M after you factor in Beasley's deal.

Unless the Heat insisted that if the Raptors wanted Beasley they had to take Anthony and Chalmers as well, but I doubt that considering they were desperately trying to dump him in order to be able to afford three max deals.

But yeah, Beasley's play so far this season is making Colangelo (and, I guess, myself) look like an idiot for not taking the chance on him. Yeah he is taking a lot of shots, but he shooting nearly 50% from the floor and over 40% from three while scoring 20 points a night. Even if he bombed out in Toronto, he only has two more years left on his deal and it would be easy to get out of.

Definitely a poor decision in retrospect.

i honestly dont know why so few teams wanted him, people gamble over bigger idiots all the time who can't play

beasley is actually a very hard worker and is in the gym all the time workin on his game, that weed thing happened and he was mature enough to take care of it without letting it get worse. its not like he was comin high to practices and games, so i think teams will regret thinkin of beasley like another allen iverson type of player

and the fact that i sitll hear people mention him as "pot head" shows what they really know about this guy

Edited by Clutch

Colangelo is very big on character guys and based on Beasley’s past transgression I wouldn’t want a player like that on my team and clearly Colangelo feels the same but based on his play thus far it would have been worth the risk to take a chance on him. Beasley is playing with a chip on his shoulder it just looks as he wants to put every single doubter in their place.

How much of a factor do you think Kleiza was in Colangelo not wanting Beasley? Everybody and their mother knew that Colangelo loves Kleiza's game (tried to trade for him, sign him two summers ago and this past summer) and I think he knew that he was going to be throwing an MLE deal at Kleiza this summer.

Do you think that might've played a factor in him not wanting Beasley? He has had his sights set on him for years now. Or was it strictly the character issues?

I think it was strictly a character issue because Colangelo could have had both players on his roster but he chooses not to take Beasley. Beasley is a talent that no one can deny and because of his past mistakes Colangelo must have felt that he wouldn’t be the right fit for this team even if he is a great talent to have. If you think about it raptors are a young team and Beasley could influence these players in a negative way so to answer your question I do think it was strictly a character issue.

Going into this season, it looked like the Raptors were going to have trouble winning on days that end in Y. But Friday is clearly their night of choice, with their best win and best loss of the year coming the past two Fridays ... By the way, Bryan Colangelo says he was never offered Michael Beasley in his sign-and-trade deal for Bosh.

Beasley was cast aside by the Miami Heat and has scored 42 and 35 points in his past two games in Minnesota .

I don't buy that for a second.

His name was all over Bosh sign and trades. Everytime a scenario involved Bosh going to Toronto, Beasley was linked to Toronto. Once or twice can be a coincidence, but with how often he was linked to Toronto, you have to believe he was offered.

Miami was trying to do anything to get rid of him. The fact that he was traded for 2 2nd round picks shows that any team with cap space could've acquired him. By the sounds of it, Beasley was offered to anybody who had the ability to absorb his salary, which Toronto was capable of doing.

He can say that he was never offered him, and nobody will ever really know, but I highly doubt he wasn't offered with how desperately the Heat were trying to deal him.

Andrea is trying to play more down low but I think Beasley would have been a good fit in terms of allowing Andrea do what he does best which is take jump shots off the dribble. Beasley could have been the guy scoring down low and rebounding for the Raptors. Current issue I see with the raptors when you pass the ball down low to Evans your getting nothing out of him he has any offensive presence.