Brown Wants Bobcats to Run More

An interesting comment, pre-game, from Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown about tempo: Brown said the public perception that he's a walk-it-up coach is wrong. Brown says he's prodding his starters to look to run more, and that they're not as willing to do that as the reserves.

“In spite of what people might think, I want us to run every play,'' Brown said. "You get more time to use the clock, if you run effectively (it’s a disincentive for opponents) to go to the offensive boards and you get relatively good shots before the defense is set.

“But saying it and doing it are two different things. It takes a lot of effort to run on every play. That’s really a challenge for us. Our young kids are running as well as we’d like. The first group (not so much). Hopefully that will get better.’’

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2010/11/brown-prods-the-starters-to-run-more.html

It makes sense for a team who struggles so much to score points to look to up the tempo in hopes of getting easy buckets. They clearly don't have the kind of offensively talent to consistently score in the half court, and they have some nice athletic finishers like Wallace and Thomas and a speedy point guard in Augustine who can thrive in a faster system.

Their defense will ahve to improve to initiate the break, though. They haven't been playing as well defensively this season and you have to get stops to get on the break.

It is interesting to hear that Larry Brown wants his team to run more. I didn't think I'd hear the day when he stressed to his team to push the ball.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

DJ has quietly been putting together a decent season. I agree that he'll flourish in a faster pace offense, nice to see Larry Brown willing to change his methods for the better of the team. It'll be interesting how the team responds to the change in pace and if their defense will be effected by it.