Please explain something to me...

kingfish

Wilt Chamberlain averaged 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists per game over his entire career.

30 points, 22 rebounds, 4 assists................ Please explain to me why he is NOT the GOAT? He also won 2 championships and 4 MVPs.

If hes not the GOAT because of the era he played in, then doesnt that mean his stats are useless regardless, and shouldnt even be taken seriously or even discussed?

Wilt Chamberlain averaged 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists per game over his entire career.

30 points, 22 rebounds, 4 assists................ Please explain to me why he is NOT the GOAT? He also won 2 championships and 4 MVPs.

If hes not the GOAT because of the era he played in, then doesnt that mean his stats are useless regardless, and shouldnt even be taken seriously or even discussed?

To me it's Michael Jordan.

Wilt lost to his competition alot in Bill Russell, I recall that Russell always held Wilt way below his usual stats

Jordan dominated his era

Despite Wilt's dominance he won 2 championships

Jordan won 6

Jordan's impact and legacy on the game outweighs Wilts

Though his stats were good, he failed to deliver in the biggest stage i guess.

It's like you can post up the best stats go 82-0 but if you underperform and lose in the play-offs its pointless,

Edited by nepaliballer

Well I would say that a case could be made for Wilt indeed. In fact I think that it is impossible to say that one particular player was the Greatest of All Time for sure, there are way too many things to take in consideration. And in my opinion a case could be made for several players. Wilt included of course.

Although there is just one thing that bothers me about Wilt, it's that he tended to play more for himself than for his team. His huge stats were in fact too huge, basketball is first of all a collective game and no one can win alone. It is absolutely not surprising to me that the year he won his first ring was the year in which he shot less than 20 times per game for the first time in his career (before that he shot between 25 and 40 times per game which is way too much...). Wilt was the first one to be sorry for his "selfishness" later on, he even said that scoring 100 points was not a good memory.

There is also the fact that Wilt tended to be a little less effective in the playoffs than in the regular season. Contrary to the other greatest players like Jordan (who had his most impressive records in the playoffs), Magic, Bird (who is the only one to ever lead his team to a ring while shooting above 50% for field goals, 40% for three-point field goals, and 90% for free throws in the playoffs), Russell or Shaq (whose performances in the 2000/02 Finals are certainly the most impressive performances in the history of the NBA Finals).