The path traveled by the 25th overall pick of the 2008 draft

Dash

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the night of the extremely talented 2008 NBA draft, the Houston Rockets were sitting on the 25th pick in the first round. Normally many wouldn't expect anything more than a long-term project or 9th or 10th man off the bench, but tonight was different as the draft was stocked with great talent in both rounds. Houston tried to move up to the 'teen picks to try and snatch Brandon Rush or Courtney Lee, but Daryl Morey came to no avail. After the Orlando Magic selected Lee with the 22nd pick, the Rockets didn't pout and they set their sights on another prospect.

Houston selected the ever so talented and potential loaded French native, Nicolas Batum. Batum was earlier thought to be a lottery pick but slipped to the Rockets' lap. Sounds like a great pick right? Sure but Daryl Morey and the Rockets were not done.

Shortly after the announcement of the 25th pick, Houston traded the rights to Batum to the Portland Trailblazers for the draft rights to Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey. Arthur was considered to be a late lottery pick and many predicted to go to the Sacramento Kings at the 12th pick (they would take Jason Thompson instead), but a heart condition recently discovered in his physical caused him to drop. By making this trade the Rockets c-blocked their divisional rival, the San Antonio Spurs, and also picked up another pick (Dorsey).

Arthur was a Rocket (most consider this a three team deal but many Rockets fans recall Morey trading for Arthur's rights) for all but 30 minutes to an hour. Houston would make another deal, this time with the Memphis Grizzlies, in which Arthur draft rights were traded and in return the Rockets finally received the player they were targeting all night long in Donte Greene. Greene was another projected late lottery pick but his stock dropped after word got out of Donte's poor attitude in a Nets workout. Houston was absolutely enamored by Donte's length, athleticism and high scoring ability. The sky was the limit and Tracy McGrady (at the time) seemed like the perfect mentor for the rookie.

Just a couple of weeks after Donte Greene scored 40 points in a Rockets summer league game, he was traded along with Bobby Jackson and a future first round pick (Omri Casspi) to the Sacramento Kings for the controversial Ron Artest, Sean Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr. Artest, a former All-Star and regarded as one of the NBA's elite perimeter defenders, would help lead the Houston Rockets to their first second round appearance in over a decade and force a game 7 with the future NBA champions Los Angeles Lakers.

After the season many thought the Rockets would resign Ron Artest to a multiple year deal but after news of Yao's season ending injury got out, Houston got cold and merely offered Artest a $10 million one year deal. Artest was offended by the Rockets short term offer and would bolt to the team that ended his Rockets' season, the Lakers. Houston in turn signed the Lakers young athletic forward Trevor Ariza to a Mid-Level Exception (MLE) multi-year deal. Adelman would later state that Ariza would be the Rockets new #1 option as they try to turn him into an all-star. The experiment failed miserably but Trevor put together a strong performance in the second half of the season that included a triple double game against his future team, the New Orleans Hornets.

With no sign of warning Daryl Morey traded Trevor Ariza in a multi team deal for the player he targeted 2 years ago, Courtney Lee. Morey and Adelman spoke very highly of Lee, praising his work ethic, basketball IQ and defense. Unfortunately the Rockets would struggle early on the season with a 3-9 record and Lee hasn't been able to show the skills that Morey has sought after ever so much. With rumors of a potential trade for an all-star to help the Rockets get back into form, could Lee be packaged? Or will Houston decide to keep Lee if he shows improvements as the season goes along? Only time will tell.

• Like 4

I picked Artest, but I got a feeling Batum would have been terrific with the Rockets as well. He can shoot the 3 and also play good D.

Both would be tremendous to have right now. What I don't understand is if Morey was planning on competing this and last season, why didn't he resign Ron Artest, who had proven enough to the organization? If the Rockets rebuild like I think they will come February then I'd absolutely would LOVE to have Batum right now. Strange that he was the original pick we made.

If I had to rank the players:

1. Ron Artest

2. Nicolas Batum (interchangeable with Artest)

3. Trevor Ariza

4. Courtney Lee

5. Donte Greene (I think he could have been something special had Houston been able to keep and groom him)

6. Darrell Arthur

Should've just held on to Rudy Gay IMO. Didn't they acquire him at one point?

Yes we drafted him in 2006 and yes I regret that Shane Battier trade so much.

They definitely made the right decision trading for Ron, despite him leaving pretty soon after. Any time you have the opportunity to land a Ron Artest for a late round pick, you do it and don't look back.

I agree but management made a terrible decision by not resigning Artest.

Yeah, you gotta have Artest. They made several mistakes along the way, but getting Artest wasn't one of them. Sadly he left(or wasn't resigned) and makes this look awful, but it was the right move.

Yeah, you gotta have Artest. They made several mistakes along the way, but getting Artest wasn't one of them. Sadly he left(or wasn't resigned) and makes this look awful, but it was the right move.

Houston had a $10 million for 4 year deal on the table for Artest but Yao's injury is what caused them to back down and move on to signing Ariza.

What I don't understand is if Morey and the Rockets were so intent on making the 2010 playoffs and then competing for a championship the following, why wasn't Artest resigned? Yao's injury last season wasn't career ending, it just meant a (likely) one season break from the playoffs. Like I've said in past threads its like Morey is in between rebuilding and competing, not being entirely committed to either one. He's still a top 3 gm in my book but letting go of Ron is a real head-scratcher.