Update: Dampier to Heat basically done (pg. 1)

Built Ford Tough

Stein's Twitter:

Just filed to ESPN.com: Heat target Dampier as top choice to replace Haslem and could complete Damp signing this week. Link on the way

Meh. I don't think it will make that big of a difference, but with Haslem being out for so long, they clearly needed to get another big on that roster.

I still stand by what I said about him being lazy, unmotivated and just wanting a paycheck. For Miami's sake, hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think it is unrealistic to make those assumptions based on what has happened with him over the past few months.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

He's probably better than anyone they have at the moment, and that's sad to say because they don't have much. Dampier is slow, fat, and lazy these days in my opinion, but maybe playing alongside names like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade will make him want a ring and play hard. Maybe, that's probably the best-case scenario for the Heat.

He's physical and Miami desperately needs some toughness down low. I don't think he's bad as people make him out to be but him showing up out of shape didn't help him much. Hopefully the Heat staff can get him back into top shape and play like he cares.

its all about juwan howard and pittman !!!

Pittman was impressive in the pre-season. I know we don't usually play young guys but he could really make a difference with his size down low. I am definitely in favor of letting him get some minutes.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/22/aldridge-dampier/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

A struggling Miami Heat team will look to shore up the loss of center Udonis Haslem by signing veteran center Erick Dampier on Tuesday to a one-year contract, a league source confirmed Monday night. The 35-year-old Dampier was in Miami Monday and will sign Tuesday assuming there are no problems with his physical.

• Owner

Merged topics.

And Ajay, I edited your post because it was giving me some sort of an error on Safari. It may be the way you stick the URL in the quote. I was running an old version of Safari, so maybe that's it...but the code was still producing the error, nonetheless.

Merged topics.

And Ajay, I edited your post because it was giving me some sort of an error on Safari. It may be the way you stick the URL in the quote. I was running an old version of Safari, so maybe that's it...but the code was still producing the error, nonetheless.

If you have the Safari version 5.0.3 you should be just fine :glasses:

In case anybody was wondering (and if it wasn't already completely obvious) the Heat waived Stackhouse in order to create space on their roster for Dampier.

Heat just waived Jerry Stackhouse to sign Erick Dampier, sources say

Not that it should be a surprise considering Stackhouse isn't even an NBA caliber player anymore, but I figured I'd mention it anyways.

Necessary signing. The one area the Heat have gotten pounded on this season is on the offensive glass...they give up too many offensive boards, and don't get enough of them themselves. If nothing else, Dampier will give them that, and will give them much-needed size in the paint. He can also finish simple plays off near the rim, which is something Joel Anthony was never able to offer when he was still seeing the floor (he hasn't played the last 2 games).