Shannon Brown or JR Smith

kingfish

I want to see Brown when he cools off a bit, and see how he adjusts his game. Right now, Brown is clearly playing superior basketball. I do feel JR is probably more talented, and he is a better passer and slightly better defender, but right now Brown is plain stroking it from deep. With this new-found confidence, will he go the JR route and keep jacking up 3pt shots when he's ice cold in the near-future? That's the situation I'm looking for before I can fairly judge Brown's play.

• Like 1

ive been a shannon brown fan since he got drafted for the cavs, never really liked jr smith

BUT

jr smith is way more talented, shannon is workin his way up fast though in the few short years he's been with the lakers and is still young

difference between shannon brown playin well and jr smith playing well to me is this..

brown = confident

jr = cocky

^I agree with the confident cocky part.

Brown is a great teammate and locker room guy. This is not to say J.R. is a cancer... when he goes "nuts" he doesn't bring the team down like most cancers, e.g. sabotaging a game... this is because I can say without bias that J.R. tries to be the player George Karl wants him to be, but due to GK's crazy scrutiny on him, he tends to fold under pressure. I do believe J.R. just happened to play with 2 coaches (Byron Scott in New Orleans and George Karl now) that don't tolerate him much.

I do believe GK has a strong bias against J.R. In other words, he tries to make too much over little stuff when J.R. screws up. And probably Byron Scott did too.

In Portland game, we saw how Billups jacked up a contested 30 footer 3-pointer with 13 secs left that cost us the game. GK always complained about J.R.'s shot selection, and yet he did not say anything about that Billups shot, and Billups (shooting career worst 31 3PT% this season, including about 33 overall FG%) has taken many ill-advised shots since last year.

I do believe J.R. can thrive and at least become a 20 ppg scorer under the coach that pushes the right buttons with him. Coaches that are patient and hold their own emotions in check when dealing with him, yet those that demand respect. Phil Jackson comes into mind. George Karl just doesn't seem to have any interest in getting out that diamond from the rough or take any "crap" from J.R.

Despite the baggage, I'll take J.R. any day for many reasons:

- He is a scoring threat that EASILY creates his own shots, be it half-court sets or full-court sets.

- He passes like a PG, he can pass so well that he is one of the few non-PGs that actually have that chance to be a full-time PG... Despite his disdain for J.R., it's not uncommon for him to trust J.R. enough to run the team's plays even when Billups/ Ty are on the floor at times. He has not only passing skill but also the court vision of a PG. He can be a SG version of LeBron, one that scores but also facilitates the team very well. He passes so well that I rarely see him commit a TO from his passing. He can do pick and roll and bounce passes through tight spaces of defense better than most PGs in the L. He can penetrate and kick out flawlessly. He can dish alley oops off dribble in transition. Unfortunately, there's not many youtube videos of his passing as evidence... all I ask is if you doubt my opinion on J.R.'s passing, please watch and observe more Nugget games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A2zfItzJAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmEPwMke2sA

- When he puts his mind to it, J.R. is actually a good defender... I wouldn't say he is All NBA Defensive Team, but one that is clearly above average

J.R. is not my favorite player by any means, so I can say with certainty that I said all above without bias.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire
  • Like 1

I want to see Brown when he cools off a bit, and see how he adjusts his game. Right now, Brown is clearly playing superior basketball. I do feel JR is probably more talented, and he is a better passer and slightly better defender, but right now Brown is plain stroking it from deep. With this new-found confidence, will he go the JR route and keep jacking up 3pt shots when he's ice cold in the near-future? That's the situation I'm looking for before I can fairly judge Brown's play.

that was what he did last year (replace 3pt shots with contested mid-range jumpers). part orf the reason his percentage is up is not just due to his shooting, but because of his decision making.

• Owner

that was what he did last year (replace 3pt shots with contested mid-range jumpers). part orf the reason his percentage is up is not just due to his shooting, but because of his decision making.

That, and because he was shooting with a busted hand or wrist (can't remember which).

I wasn't too happy when Brown went into his mini-Kobe modes, and decided he was going to try and drop 30. I think he's actually a smarter player now.

I agree that Smith is a better passer and more talented, but no way he's a better defender than Brown is.

Shannon Brown has improved a great deal and we can clearly see that in his play. I think winning championships in a lot of ways sends your confidence level threw the roof and that’s what we’re seeing in Brown. I think if you increase his role the more production you will see out of Brown. Brown is better defensively than JR.

JR Smith in my mind is the more talented of the two. He has a great ability to score the ball but I don’t think he is a great defender which I believe he is talented enough to improve on. My issue with him is that he is a rhythm type player meaning when he gets going you have next to no chance of stopping him from scoring. Both players are talented and I think if you put either of them in a different team with a greater role, they have a great impact in the NBA.

I'm going to say Shannon Brown in this one.

Why? Well first, he's not as arrogant as Smith, and he actually listens to his coach and tries to play as a teammate rather than someone just out there for stats. Granted, like RD said in a previous post, he did have mini-Kobe spells where he'd try to take games over, but he's improved a lot in his basketball IQ this year from what I've seen. The three-point shooting has improved, and honestly, from what I've seen, Brown is just about as deadly as Smith is these days. Also, in terms of athleticism, I'd say it's at least a tie if not Brown by a little bit. And if your talking about defense, there's no way you can say J.R. Smith is better than Shannon Brown.

Brown gets this vote from me all day.

I would say one clear advantage/ aspect of the game that I think J.R. has over Brown is the ability to create his own shots. Brown's scoring comes mostly from fastbreak dunks and screens... J.R. can create his shots at will and so effortlessly.

A second aspect of advantage is passing. I do think Brown's passing is average... J.R.'s passing is on a very high level.

Brown, is working his way up to one of the best 6th men in the league. But he isn't better than Smith. Smith is experienced and even though Shannon Brown has had better scoring numbers this season I still think Smith is better. Smith can be inconsistent at times but when he's hot he can be as good a shooter as anyone.

I would say one clear advantage/ aspect of the game that I think J.R. has over Brown is the ability to create his own shots. Brown's scoring comes mostly from fastbreak dunks and screens... J.R. can create his shots at will and so effortlessly.

A second aspect of advantage is passing. I do think Brown's passing is average... J.R.'s passing is on a very high level.

Perhaps you should watch Laker games more often cause Shannon has never had a problem creating his own shot. He is decent off the dribble but he also creates his own shot by moving without the ball.

Also dribbling around and chucking up a 30 footer isnt creating your own shot, so theres no advantage for JR there. :lol:

30 pts last game vs Suns without Melo (flu)

20 pts and 10 rebounds vs Bucks yesterday with Melo ejected in third quarter

J.R. has been dunking in the L since Brown was drafted and waived by Cavs...

More, J.R. has been a one-on-one player since Brown was in his nappies.

10.8 ppg this season and it's a career year for Brown :lol:

His career high is 27 pts... next time make a thread when he has touched at least 30 pts.

• Owner

First off, that "elite passer" rating you're giving to Smith is annoying. He's nowhere near elite. Nobody else on OTR agrees with that.

And Brown isn't going to drop 40 in a game because he's playing behind Kobe Bryant, and because Phil would pull him if he even tries to chuck enough shots to get to that 40.

He's elite... he's arguably the best passer on the team ahead of Melo, obviously ahead of Billups who has average passing skill, and ahead of Ty who tends to commit a TO.

He can make straight pass, bounce pass, pick and roll pass, alley-oop pass, behind-the-back pass, off-the-dribble pass, in-the-air pass (and before you argue any NBA player can make those passes) here's what makes him elite imo: he can make those passes with impressive accuracy, meaning he rarely commits a TO while passing. In game situations, those passes can be extremely difficult to execute without committing a TO, to an average player. It takes players with not only great passing skills but also great vision to do this...

If you want to put J.R.'s passing ability in the same sentence as an average NBA player's, I disagree completely.

As far as scoring goes, J.R. also has to play behind Melo (a dominant scorer) and AI and Billups all his career. Also coming off the bench. Brown's season high is 21 pts, I'm not even talking 40 pts, but 30 pts, which Brown has YET to touch in his 5 year career.

And if you argue Phil would pull Brown for taking too many shots (although Brown's shooting a career best 48.4 FG% and 45.6 3PT%), you have to remember J.R. has had to play looking over his shoulders his ENTIRE career because Byron Scott and George Karl have buried him on the bench for taking too many shots. In fact, he was in a doghouse just 2 weeks ago, receiving 3 DNP-CDs for, among them, the shot selections.

It's fair game, just unfair talent comparison, because it's NOT close.

JR Smith is way more talented, but Shannon Brown gets more production for his talent, I'll take that any day of the week.

If JR Smith put it together, hes a superstar IMO, hes got all the tools and talents.