Linas Kleiza

headliner

We’re 14 games into the season so I thought it would be interesting to discuss certain player’s performance thus far. Linas Kleiza is first on my list to discuss for one reason only I’m neither a fan of this guy nor a fan of his play thus far.

So far Linas Kleiza is averaging 10.2 PPG 3.5 RPG 1.0 APG 69%FTP 24%3P 24.5 MPG.

PG: Jose Calderon/Jerryd Bayless

SG: Demar DeRozan/ Leandro Barbosa/ Julian Wright

SF: Sonny Weems/Linas Kleiza/ Peja Stojakovic

PF: Reggie Evans / Amir Johnson/ Ed Davis

C: Andrea Bargnani/ Joey Dorsey/ Solomon Alabi

Let’s discuss whether or not he was a mistake to sign and looking at the teams depth chart is Linas Kleiza expendable?

It is way too early to say whether it was a mistake to sign him. Even if it wasn't the best idea to bring him in, he is hardly on a horrible contract (a front loaded 4 yr/$18M deal for a guy like Kleiza is fair value) so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The problem with Kleiza is the one that plauges most of the Raptor players. Because of the clear lack of talent and shot creators on this roster, he is forced to manufacture his own offense, which he isn't capable of doing. He is a spot up shooter who can post up on occasion. Those are what he does well, but when he is forced to put the ball on the floor for more than two or three dribbles, he gets into trouble. He simply doesn't have the quickness or creativity to create his own offense at this level, which isn't a knock against him.

I think that when (if) the Raptors become a playoff team and a threat in the East, he will show his true value as a tough, physical 3/4 hybrid off of the bench. I like his game, but he simply is being asked to do too much this year and is playing outside of his skill set.

One thing that I do especially hate about his game is that he is an absolute black hole. He simply does not pass the ball and kills the ball movement. I can live with the reckless drives, post ups and things like that because he is just trying to create offense, and as one of the better offensive players on the team he should be doing that, but he really needs to pass the ball more.

Today's game 0 points 2 turnovers 0 assists in 10 minutes of play? Black hole? He may have been great in international ball but when it comes to NBA ball he is a complete disappointment. I don’t understand why he is getting minutes which are taken away from a guy like Demar?

Today's game 0 points 2 turnovers 0 assists in 10 minutes of play? Black hole? He may have been great in international ball but when it comes to NBA ball he is a complete disappointment. I don’t understand why he is getting minutes which are taken away from a guy like Demar?

I definitely agree that he has been all sorts of awful, but really, who else is going to get those minutes? Weems has been equally as awful, Barbosa is an inconsistent chucker, Wright isn't very good and Peja has been hurt. DeRozan has been averaging around 32 a night for the last little while, which isn't ideal but also isn't worth complaining about.

That is the problem. The Raptors perimeter rotation is so weak that you can't really bench him because who else are you going to play?