Rogers in Talks to Buy Raptors

They are actually talking about buying a 66% share in MLSE, but I figured the topic I used would draw more attention considering this is a basketball forum.

The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan Board has been looking to divest itself from its 66 per cent stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment for "more than a year", according to sources in the North American sports and business communities.

"We knew there was some activity there but had no idea who the buyer was," said a source. "There clearly was something going on but it was vague, it sounded like an inside job from Day 1."

Several reports on Wednesday say that Rogers Communications are in negotiations to buy the Teacher's majority share, which would give it controlling interest in the company that owns the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, the NBA's Toronto Raptors, the AHL's Toronto Marlies and MLS's Toronto FC, along with the Air Canada Centre and the rights to BMO Field.

Rogers already owns baseball's Toronto Blue Jays, the Rogers Centre and all-sports stations Rogers Sportsnet and The Fan 590.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=343627

I doubt this would have any real huge impact on how the Raptors are ran because, as far as I know, Colangelo was given full independence by MLSE when he was hired and is allowed to make all the decisions he wants in regards to the team without interference (same with Burke and the Leafs).

It is a huge story regardless, though.

Sadly, if this does happens it would mean more games on Sportsnet and, as a result, more Leo Rautins. Ugh. :(

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I hate Leo Rautins as well but I'm all for Rogers being the owners if they're committed to putting a contender on the court in the near future. Building this team the right way and sustaining a winning culture. If Rogers is able to turn the franchise around I have no problems with them buying in.

This is a move that could shake-up the Toronto sports scene massively. Control of production and distribution is huge. The hit TSN would take from this could be massive because they could lose their Leaf games barring certain circumstances. It's too early to say how big this is, but it should be massive.