Adelman, Yao Disagree On Return

ChosenOne

http://www.chron.com/photos/2010/12/01/24283671/260xStory.jpg

While Yao Ming has set early next week as his target date to return, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said Thursday he wants to see how Yao responds to a full workout before any decision is made.

Yao, who has been sidelined more than three weeks with a sprained and bruised left ankle, went through a light workout Thursday at Toyota Center. The latest step in returning to the lineup came a day after the 7-6 center participated in the team’s shootaround Wednesday, the first time he had been on the court since he suffered the injury Nov. 10 in Washington.

Before Wednesday’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers, Yao told reporters he is targeting Tuesday’s game against the Detroit Pistons for his return. Adelman said he hasn’t discussed specifics on a return date with Yao.

“Yao said that, but no one else told me that,” Adelman said. “He didn’t tell me.”

A limited workout

Yao did not run extensively or participate in any contact drills Thursday. At the end of practice, Yao worked on low post moves, spins and pivots, with teammate Jordan Hill.

”We’re just trying to get him on the court where he’s moving around and see how he feels afterwards,” Adelman said. “The big key is going to be the more he gets on the court, the more things he does, does he have soreness, doesn’t he have soreness. That’s the thing I want to wait and see.”

Yao will not accompany the team on its two-game road trip, which begins tonight in Memphis, Tenn. The Rockets play at Chicago on Saturday before returning home.

The plan is for Yao to continue his rehabilitation this weekend, with the possibility he could join the team for a full workout Monday.

“He’ll get his chance next week,” Adelman said. “I think they’ll do a lot of work with him over the weekend. Next week he’ll have a chance to practice.”

Not yet 100 percent

Yao, who remains hopeful he can play against the Pistons, said he’s experiencing some weakness in his ankle but no pain.

“I can’t say my ankle is 100 percent, but it’s getting close,” Yao said.

The Rockets have been closely monitoring Yao’s minutes this season in his return after missing all of last season following surgery to repair a broken left foot. Yao is averaging 10. 2 points and 5.4 rebounds while averaging 18.2 minutes in five games.

When Yao returns, one option to ease him back could be to have him come off the bench, Adelman said.

“He’s talked to me about that,” he said. “I think we’re going to wait and see when the time comes what’s best for him. A lot of that is going to depend on the doctors. My understanding is they are going to give me a limit on minutes again.”

Even though Yao hasn’t gone through a full practice, teammates said having him back on the floor is an encouraging sign.

“I hope that it’s a little bit different than the first time,” forward Shane Battier said. “There was a lot pressure on him the first time to integrate him right away, start him and force him the ball. I think now we’re taking a much slower approach.

“Whatever speed he needs to come back at, that’s the speed we’ll accept him at. It will be a much lower pressure situation I hope, for him and for us.”

Houston Chronicle

Nothing big. I'm not sure if its a coincidence that Yao's target date is also Tracy McGrady's return to Houston, but Yao does want to get back on the court as early as possible. Rick is simply being cautious with him and doesn't want to give the media a timeline yet.