Witten wouldn't trade Tony Romo for Peyton Manning

fish7718

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten says he has a good relationship with Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning . Even though they didn't play together in college the two attended the University of Tennessee.

Witten recently mentioned that Manning went out of his way to try and take the young tight end under his wing and show him the ropes. Witten still considers Manning a "great mentor" to this day and the two often chat about NFL related topics.

But does that mean Witten would rather have Manning as his quarterback?

When a reporter asked Witten this week if he could tell Tony Romo that his tight end would rather play with Manning, a laughing Witten responded: "Absolutely not. Absolutely not."

"I got a good quarterback too," Witten said. "I wouldn't trade him for anybody. It's been a good relationship. We've had a lot of success and good times together. Hopefully, we can get it back on track."

This wasn't the first time the Pro Bowl tight end talked about Romo and Manning in the same sentence.

During a March interview with ESPN's Colin Cowherd, Witten said: "(Romo) is easy-going and laid back. (But people ask) does he have enough to take the team; I mean, does he have that 'Peyton Manning' attitude where the team's under his arms? He's got that."

The Cowboys tight end also said he doesn't hold a grudge against Manning for the Colts selecting tight end Dallas Clark in the first round of the 2003 draft over Witten who the Cowboys then selected in the third round.

"That's alright, he said it wasn't under his control," Witten said with a laugh before pointing out, "That man makes every decision in that organization."

Source

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by STATCity

Wow, thank you for saying that, this way in the future I don't have to question whether or not you know football.

I'm talking about right now smart one.

Romo can't even [expletive]ing throw because he broke his [expletive]ing collarbone.

I'd probably take Romo over Manning too, just because of the age difference. I'd rather have at least 5 years of really good quarterbacking than 2 years of incredible quarterbacking and then a big question mark after that.

Tony Romo isn't young himself, and Peyton is still an elite QB in the NFL. Give me Peyton Manning for three or four years over Tony Romo for five or six years. He's proven himself for a decade, and people want to act like it's the end of the road for him after having a few poor games.

Believe me, I am loving that Peyton Manning has been sucking recently, but there is not much to worry about with him, as he will undoubtedly sign the most lucrative contract in NFL history soon.

• Like 1

Tony Romo isn't young himself, and Peyton is still an elite QB in the NFL. Give me Peyton Manning for three or four years over Tony Romo for five or six years. He's proven himself for a decade, and people want to act like it's the end of the road for him after having a few poor games.

Believe me, I am loving that Peyton Manning has been sucking recently, but there is not much to worry about with him, as he will undoubtedly sign the most lucrative contract in NFL history soon.

When did I say that he sucks because of the few poor games he's had? I said that I'd rather have Romo who will still be really good for the next 5 years at least, than I would 2 guaranteed great years from Peyton and who knows what after that.

I'm not sure when Romo has been really good, to be honest.

Eh, I think he has gotten to that point. Obviously a lot of people will scrutinize him and pick apart his mistakes being that he's in the driver's seat of the biggest market in the NFL, but I believe that he is at that point. 3 straight seasons (not counting this year) with a QB rating over 90 (obviously not the end all be all of QB stats, but still a pretty good one to use to judge a QB), and he had a completion percentage of nearly 70% this season. He was only picked off on 1.6% of his passes last year (9 times in 550 attempts), and had a nice 7.3 net yards per average attempt.

It's obvious he's lying. There's no way Witten would really be against a trade to bring one of the best QB's in the game to Dallas, and neither would Jerry or anyone in uniform or in office.

Chemistry is huge in the NFL, obviously Witten and Manning wouldn't have a problem learning each other, but I don't think you can say he's lying, you can call him dumb or crazy though.

Interesting debate as to who I'd pick for my franchise today, Manning or Romo. Romo may not be as gifted as Manning but he does some thing better than Manning.

You seriously think that's even a debate? C'mon man.

Absolutely, Manning is showing signs of again this year, 34 is very old in this league. Romo may be 30 but Romo hasn't taken the amount of NFL hits Manning has in his career, gotta figure Romo has 4-5 more years on Manning.

Absolutely, Manning is showing signs of again this year, 34 is very old in this league. Romo may be 30 but Romo hasn't taken the amount of NFL hits Manning has in his career, gotta figure Romo has 4-5 more years on Manning.

I don't think that Manning has really shown signs of age, his receiving corps has just been severely depleted. Wayne is questionable week after week, no Gonzalez, Clark or Collie. He's down to Jacob freakin' Tamme as one of his top options. Age and the fact that Peyton has started since the beginning of his career whereas Romo has only been a starter for the last couple of seasons are the main factors of my decision that I'd rather have Romo if I'm building a franchise.

Manning has only been sacked over 20 times once since 03 as opposed to Romo who's never played a season where he was sacked less than 20 times. I think Manning has plenty of years left because of the lack of hits he's taken.

Not to mention, Manning really has to do it all right now. They have no running game, none whatsoever so he's forced to do everything right now. He's struggling but I'll still take him over Romo if I'm starting a franchise.

Rodgers vs. Manning is a better debate.