What team could the NBA do without?

Scout200

I do think the Clippers too... it's always been the Lakers town... if they're gone, the small number (at least if you compare to Laker fans) of Clip fans can always become Laker fans, or become other teams' fans if they hate the Lakers that much :lol:

And yes, they seem to have this unlucky thing and aura about them that spread within the organization and seem to stick and not disappear for decades... with the talent they have, they should be better than their current record, but they're always associated with losing. It's one thing to be unlucky short term, it's another to be unlucky long term.

If the franchise folds, it's probably better for everyone in the organization... because "losing culture" can affect anyone especially if they're in the organization long term. You don't want to develop a losing/ victim/ self-pity mentality, no matter if you're a player, a coach, team staff, or owner.

Any team (owner, really) that isn't willing to spend money to improve their team, or spend to retain core players, doesn't deserve an NBA team. I understand owning a team is a business, but a line needs to be drawn, how can you expect to draw fans when your ownership isn't even committed to winning? This is why MLSE pisses me off, I really feel like they take their fans for granted.

Also lol at suggesting Clippers should be removed. They may be the blunt of a lot of jokes, but this team is still close to the middle in attendance despite their [expletive] record, are in a desirable market, and are in the midst of retooling this team (they have one of the brightest young stars in the league). Ship Baron and Kaman, add another top 5 pick, you have one of the brightest young teams in the NBA.

• Like 1

Also lol at suggesting Clippers should be removed. They may be the blunt of a lot of jokes, but this team is still close to the middle in attendance despite their [expletive] record, are in a desirable market, and are in the midst of retooling this team (they have one of the brightest young stars in the league). Ship Baron and Kaman, add another top 5 pick, you have one of the brightest young teams in the NBA.

Is it really desirable though? Do players really want to play there (and I'm talking about top tier guys like LeBron who essentially turned them down while making his decision)? Yeah it is a desirable market, but the team itself is not. They will forever be in the shadow of the Lakers, and you gotta believe that players have that in the back of their minds.

Hmmm... I thought one paragraph ago you said...

Any team (owner, really) that isn't willing to spend money to improve their team, or spend to retain core players, doesn't deserve an NBA team. I understand owning a team is a business, but a line needs to be drawn, how can you expect to draw fans when your ownership isn't even committed to winning? This is why MLSE pisses me off, I really feel like they take their fans for granted.

Donald Sterling says hi

Clippers, Nets... and anywhere else that has multiple teams in the same state or very close location to each other.

Not saying there is any reason for these teams to be removed though. I also do believe the NBA needs to spread further. There should be more teams, preferably located outside the states. Maybe a couple more teams in Canada, a team or two in Mexico, and definitely a division or two out in Europe, and maybe eventually Asia as well (particularly China, basketball is massively popular there).

• Owner

The Clippers won't be dropped from the league. If anything ever happens, they will be relocated.

I know Milwaukee and Memphis have been in those talks, though. I don't remember who it was now (from ESPN), but he was talking on his Twitter about the league potentially dropping teams (talk of it, anyway), and he stated that those two were the most likely to be considered...which makes a lot of sense.

Very true! Excellent point!!

Hmmm... I thought one paragraph ago you said...

Donald Sterling says hi

I wasn't aware that the Clippers were cheap, I haven't seen any such indication that suggests this, I could definitely be wrong though since I'm not that familiar with the team. Baron and Kaman are making huge bucks individually because of contracts they gave them, and I have to imagine if they were winning more than 20 games a year they would be inclined to spend more money.

Is it really desirable though? Do players really want to play there (and I'm talking about top tier guys like LeBron who essentially turned them down while making his decision)? Yeah it is a desirable market, but the team itself is not. They will forever be in the shadow of the Lakers, and you gotta believe that players have that in the back of their minds.

The team itself hasn't been desirable because they have been trash. However, you have to imagine if they cleared max cap space a player would have to be interested in going there with all the sweet pieces they have in place. Are the Clippers Miami, Boston, Lakers? No, but at the same time they aren't Milwaukee, Memphis, Toronto, etc. With the market they are in, you have to imagine if they had good pieces in place, and money to use, players would go there in a heartbeat. I really don't think the Lakers would scare teams off, if anything, trying to get the team out of the Lakers' shadow should be enticing, although you never know with the lack of competitiveness in the NBA these days.

I don't really think citing LBJ passing the Clippers is fair though, they don't have the pieces in place to attract a player like that right now, but 1 or 2 years from now? They definitely could/should.

Mmh well I hope that Billy Crystal won't ever look at this thread or he'll have a never breakdown lol...

But seriously I certainly don't think that the Clippers should be removed (they won't be for sure anyhow...), it's true that they've never been very succesful (that's the least we can say) but still they had some nice season in their Braves years, Bob McAdoo even had his best years there, he actually had his only MVP season as a Brave.

And they had some pretty exciting teams. I've always liked the Clippers personally, even if they weren't good. In the 90's they had some very good players like Ron Harper, Loy Vaught (who I always considered as a very underrated PF, I liked this player a lot), Danny Manning, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Smith, Gary Grant (who was among my very favorite PGs at the time), Bo Outlaw, Lamond Murray, Rodney Rogers, Eric Piatkowski, Darrick Martin, Brent Barry, etc... I loved all those players.

And at the beginning of the 2000's they had a very exciting team with Odom, Miles, Q Rich, McInnis, Dooling, Maggette, Boykins and Brand. Everyone was sure that this team could do something at the time. Well they actually were disappointing that's true but they were still very entertaining to watch.

That's a team I've always liked and the team that they got this year is more exciting than ever, if they play their cards right they can have a bright future. And I hope for them that this time they will.

I don't want any team to be removed anyhow, quite the opposite we need some new ones, there are a lot of very talented players in the world who would deserve to be NBA players right now, and there's gonna be more and more talented players in the future, you can be sure of that, so the last thing the NBA needs would be to get rid of a team IMO.

Edited by Oliver P

the Celtics. just burn any history of the franchise, then send all the past and current players, coaches, front office staff, etc. out to an oil rig somewhere. could make big bucks as a reality TV show.

Haha damn I couldn't even begin to imagine all the riots in the streets around the Garden if the Celtics franchise ever folded. We live for our sports teams up here in New England.

I'd probably pick the Toronto Raptors before anyone else though. If I lived in LA I think it would be cool to be a Clippers fan.

Imagine a league where the Lakers and Celtics didn't exist! A league where it wasn't a lock to see two certain teams in the finals every year. A league where small market teams like the Grizzlies and Bobcats had a chance. A league where building a championship team came via draft not buy spending ridiculous amounts of money........ Nah that wouldn't be fun.

Imagine a league where the Lakers and Celtics didn't exist! A league where it wasn't a lock to see two certain teams in the finals every year. A league where small market teams like the Grizzlies and Bobcats had a chance. A league where building a championship team came via draft not buy spending ridiculous amounts of money........ Nah that wouldn't be fun.

aside from the first sentence, i would love that.