Source: Rockets Turn Down Offer From Lakers

The Lakers contacted the Rockets about dealing for Jordan Farmar or purchasing their first-round pick.

Houston turned Los Angeles down, according to a pair of NBA sources.

The Lakers would be expected to get anywhere from $500,000 to $1 million for the 29th overall pick.

"Absolutely," general manager Mitch Kupchak said when asked if the club would considering dealing the selection. "Sure."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60063/20090625/source_rockets_turn_down_offer_from_lakers/

• Owner

You may even see Brown playing the two, and us signing Kidd for chump change, if we're dealing Farmar. It's just weird to see Jordan's name in trade rumors before seeing Vujacic's, and that' makes me believe that we're looking at Kidd.

• Owner

Assuming talks are going on with Kidd, the only reason I see him being anywhere else is if he's asking for too much money, but knowing Kidd and his desire to win and play alongside Bryant and in a pass-privileged offense (if that makes sense), I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a lot less.

• Owner

Ya think Kidd will sign for vet's min? Hope you're right.

Nope. But I think if we got rid of Farmar for more cash, or for a pick, we'd pull a little from our MLE to bring him in for a two or three year deal.

• Owner

Hm...

could a sign and trade work? I dunno who knows. Hope we get Kidd.

Well, Farmar will make around $2 million next season, and he has a qualifying offer of $2.8 million or so for the following season. So if Kidd were to want half the MLE, we would probably pull the trigger, granted it would be around $3 million. We would have to add someone like Yue. I'd have to go check the correct numbers.

• Owner

No we could offer up Morrison, who is a 5 million expiring I believe. Total of 7 million? That seems like enough dollars for Kidd.

But I think this only works out if Kidd demands to be a Laker, right?

I believe Kidd is unrestricted. He can do what he wants. If another team was interested in Farmar, they can pull a sign and trade off with Jason.

• Owner

Will anyone even take Sasha?

Not this off-season. He's still owed around $10.5 million, two years left on the contract.

After next season, he'll be an expiring $5.5 million for teams looking at cap space in 2011.