Hoopsworld: Raptors Interested in Jonny Flynn

When the Toronto Raptors traded prized back-up point guard Jarrett Jack to the New Orleans Hornets they lost their primary back-up to Jose Calderon, and while Jerryd Bayless can play some point, he seems better suited to the two-guard spot. The Raptors, too, have been in contact with the Timberwolves regarding Flynn, who would play behind Calderon in the spot once occupied by Jack.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18320#ixzz19WZmgDAf

I know that Hoopsworld isn't exactly the most reliable site, but they do seem to be a lot more accurate when they talk about the Raptors than other teams.

As for this rumor, isn't Flynn just as much of a combo guard as Bayless is? I don't claim to be an expert on Flynn, but from what I gather he is pretty much the same as Bayless when it comes to being a point guard. What makes them think that Flynn will be any better as the backup PG than Bayless will?

With that said, if it is a buy low situation or the Raptors move Calderon (which I don't see happening considering the report suggests they are trying to find a PG to backup Calderon), I would be all for it. He is young and has talent, so it would basically be the same kind of trade that they made earlier to land Bayless. I wouldn't give up anything of real value for him, though (so no Davis, DeRozan, Johnson, Bayless or draft picks).

Weems and a filler would be something I would do, but not sure it is really worth giving up much more than that for him.

The Raptors should go after Luke Ridnour if they can possibly get him. He has a great basketball IQ, can shoot, score, pass and is a veteran.

Why would they go after Ridnour? Trading Calderon for Ridnour is a lateral move at best, doesn't do anything for their future and ties their hands with a longer term deal than Calderon (although for less money). If they traded for Ridnour while keeping Calderon on the roster, well, I would contemplate handing in my Raptors fan card.

The Raptors should stay as far away from players like Luke Ridnour as possible.

Absolutely no way the Wolves trade Flynn for just Weems. Not even David Kahn is that inept.

I didn't say that the Wolves would do it. All I was saying is that from a Raptors perspective that is about the only trade that I would like to see them make. There is no way in hell I would want to see them give up any of their "core" players for Flynn considering I think that Bayless is the better player and the better prospect than Flynn, so it doesn't really make much sense, from a Raps point of view, to give up a legitimate asset for a guy like Flynn.

The Raptors and Wolves are terrible trade partners in general. They don't really have anything that would interst the other team and any move that they did make would be lateral moves at best that would see similarly talented prospects being swapped. Unless the Wolves are so desperate to get out of Pekovic's contract that they would use Flynn as bait (and the Raptors would offer Evans' expiring deal), they are just poor trading partners.

PS: It was Weems and filler (Miami 1st, Joey Dorsey, Alabi etc...), not just Weems. I clearly stated the word filler.

EDIT: This is all basically irrelevent, though. I would be absolutely shocked if a trade even happened. This seems to be purely speculation and nothing will come of it.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

David Kahn was at the Raptors/Bulls game last night and with the news about Toronto being interested in Flynn, there was some speculation that he was doing some scouting to see what he likes on the Raptors roster. Nothing has been said or anything, but there is some speculation going around Twitter of a three team trade between Toronto, New York and Minny that consists of:

To Toronto

Jonny Flynn

To New York

2011 Miami 1st

2011 Utah 1st

To Minnesota

Jerryd Bayless

Anthony Randolph

Just so you all know, this are more trade ideas than anything. There is nothing to suggest that a deal of this nature has been discussed, no credible journalist has even mentioned anything of the sort and I believe this "rumor" was started by a guy with around 14 followers on Twitter.

Just thought I would post this anyways, more so due to the fact that Kahn was at the Raptors/Bulls game last night.