Nets getting frustrated with Denver's demands?

Dash

As @KenBerg_CBS writes, NJ frustrated with Denver's price for Melo. DEN wants 5 first round picks as part of bigger package, sources tell Y! Another problem for NJ, rival exec in talks says: In current multi-team discussions, NJ would give up Devin Harris w/o getting a PG back. Talks stopped over Christmas with tragic death of 'Melo's sister, but will resume next week. Josh Kroenke and Masai Ujiri are digging in.

Exactly RT @ChrisMannixSI: There has been more posturing from both sides on Anthony than any deal in recent memory.

After an appropriate cooling-off period surrounding Carmelo Anthony trade talks after the tragic death of his sister, teams are beginning to get a renewed sense of where the Nuggets are strategy-wise. And once again, multiple sources tell CBSSports.com that Denver officials are sending mixed signals and still appear undecided as to whether they're seeking veteran players who can help them now or some combination of cap relief, draft picks and young players.

In view of their frustration, the Nets have not yet gotten to the point where they're ready to pull all their chips off the table. But it's clear that the Nets are "sick of the whole charade," according to one source and have "backed away," according to another.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26731017

5 first rounders? DAMN

On top of that they want a veteran player, an expiring AND a young player. So my guess is Denver's proposed trade is something along the lines of this: Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy, 4-5 first round draft picks for Carmelo Anthony + filler. Yeah...good luck with that.

On top of that they want a veteran player, an expiring AND a young player. So my guess is Denver's proposed trade is something along the lines of this: Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy, 4-5 first round draft picks for Carmelo Anthony + filler. Yeah...good luck with that.

I think it's bigger than just that, there's probably more than just 2 teams involved.

I think it's bigger than just that, there's probably more than just 2 teams involved.

Yeah I know, I was just listing the assets New Jersey would trade since we have no idea who the other two teams are yet.

Melo isn't worth all that. He is a great player, but that kind of deal should only be made for a LeBron caliber player, not Melo. I don't get how the Nuggets think they can be this stingy when they don't have a ton of leverage. Melo needs to get traded to get his contract extension before the new CBA, and the Nuggets will get nothing in return if they stay this bone-headed. They both have major stake in this situation's resolution, so both parties need to make some compromises.

• Owner

Melo isn't worth all that. He is a great player, but that kind of deal should only be made for a LeBron caliber player, not Melo. I don't get how the Nuggets think they can be this stingy when they don't have a ton of leverage. Melo needs to get traded to get his contract extension before the new CBA, and the Nuggets will get nothing in return if they stay this bone-headed. They both have major stake in this situation's resolution, so both parties need to make some compromises.

Yep.

And, above all that, the Nets are probably growing impatient because they are sitting on a 9-23 record, 3-7 in their last ten games, and will basically need to win another 29-30 games to get into the playoffs in the East (based on them ending up with a .463 record, which would be good enough to give them the 7th seed today).

So, the target would be 29-21 as of now, 50 games remaining...which is around Denver's winning percentage as well. Makes sense for the Nets to think that way.

If Denver waits a week or two, that's another seven games...two against the Bulls, one Lakers, one Suns, all potential losses. That pretty much forces them to win what...34 games out of what's remaining?

The time frame is closing. The Nets will still work the trade, because they would want Melo for next season (and seasons beyond), but they would LOVE to get this done immediately, before their chances of making the playoffs are wiped off the board.