Gortat Calls Out Team for Poor Defense

Teletopez

"It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat tells FanHouse's Brett Pollakoff. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

"It's kind of a reality check for me, being on a team who is winning then all of a sudden coming to a team which is losing," says Gortat. "I mean, we are the worst defensive team in the league. I don't know; we've just got to come tomorrow as early as possible and just put in work -- three hours at least."

Perhaps this is what Suns head coach Alvin Gentry needed, though, besides the physical presence on the court. Perhaps what Gentry really needed was a player on the court and in the locker room screaming the message he's been trying to preach since he took the reins from Mike D'Antoni two seasons ago.

"I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours," Gortat continues. "Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we're doing bad, I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there's not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points. It's just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I'm not going to lie."

Link

Edited by Waldo

Actually, the Magic were losing before they traded him and the Suns and Magic had nearly the same records. Also, the Suns got just as far as Orlando did in the post season last year. Yeah, I know, no Amare, but Gortat should be happy he's been given an opportunity to no longer play as Dwight's shadow.

Actually, the Magic were losing before they traded him and the Suns and Magic had nearly the same records. Also, the Suns got just as far as Orlando did in the post season last year. Yeah, I know, no Amare, but Gortat should be happy he's been given an opportunity to no longer play as Dwight's shadow.

He probably is thrilled about getting a bigger role, but there is still reason to be unhappy over your club allowing 123 points. You could argue that he might have gone too far with the comments, but what he said could have a positive effect on the team moving forward.

• Owner

Well, he could mold himself into a Dwight Howard, a player that makes up for the rest of the awful defense on his team by playing some of the best help defense over the last 10-15 years.

Gortat is a nice on-ball defender, just not as intelligent helping penetration.

Not much to say about the Suns' defense, though, except for the fact that he's correct.