California Police Allowed To Search Your Phone Without A Warrant

This is retarded. What sucks even more, is this piece:

Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedents, the ruling contends that "The loss of privacy upon arrest extends beyond the arrestee's body to include 'personal property ... immediately associated with the person of the arrestee' at the time of arrest."

Don't be surprised if more states start doing this. Hopefully it gets overturned.

I don't have a problem with it, don't do anything stupid and it doesn't apply to you.

I hope you have credit card information, social security information, and other information on your phone if you go to California and get arrested, while having your information taken. People get arrested wrongly often times, so, so much for your poorly thought out comment.

:rofl:

I think if you're stupid enough to get arrested, the police should have every right to search your [expletive]. If you're so [expletive]ed up in the head that you think it's a great idea to endanger others and drive under the influence, you're dumb enough to commit other crimes. This could at least prevent others from happening

I hope you have credit card information, social security information, and other information on your phone if you go to California and get arrested, while having your information taken. People get arrested wrongly often times, so, so much for your poorly thought out comment.

Yep, me being the 18 year old kid I am, I'm gonna go to Cali, murder a hooker in Compton, and then text some drug dealers looking for meth. How'd you know?

oh thats right, murder is the only thing that can get you arrested. same with a DUI. the police have no right to search your house without a warrant, they should not have access to your information on your cell phone. do you want them reading messages or seeing your pictures? what if you have private pictures on there? people get wrongly arrested all the time, quit being a moron

oh thats right, murder is the only thing that can get you arrested. same with a DUI. the police have no right to search your house without a warrant, they should not have access to your information on your cell phone. do you want them reading messages or seeing your pictures? what if you have private pictures on there? people get wrongly arrested all the time, quit being a moron

OH NO THEY WILL SEE MY MESSAGES ABOUT MY LUNCH PLANS FOR TOMORROW

Like I said, don't do stupid [expletive] and you won't get arrested.

OH NO THEY WILL SEE MY MESSAGES ABOUT MY LUNCH PLANS FOR TOMORROW

Like I said, don't do stupid [expletive] and you won't get arrested.

you obviously have never left your middle class white suburban neighborhood. keep talking at your [expletive]. you can get arrested for living next door to a murder scene as a possible suspect. you didn't do anything except go to sleep that night and wake up the next morning with a dead neighbor. the stupidity of your posts is astounding.

Edited by Lkr

^Oh, and by the way.. I thought it'd be obvious but apparently it's not. If a cop sees your SSN, his first thought ISN'T going to be, "Let's steal this kid's identity."

And, how exactly do you know they wouldn't take your SSN or credit card information. I agree that if you don't do something stupid in general you won't be arrested. However, if you are arrested for something petty or wrongly arrested and have personal information on your phone, I don't think the police should have access to it. Not all information in a phone for arrested people is incriminating, but may rather be personal and confidential.

you obviously have never left your middle class white suburban neighborhood. keep talking at your [expletive]. you can get arrested for living next door to a murder scene as a possible suspect. you didn't do anything except go to sleep that night and wake up the next morning with a dead neighbor. the stupidity of your posts is astounding.

No cop would arrest you for that, I wouldn't have a motive or any relation to my neighbor. Once they interview me, I'll let them check my room. Yeah see the loaded AK? Or what about the 12 inch butcher knife? Oh I didn't see those either because I would never be in the situation...

I see where you're coming from, it's just it would never happen to me, and if it did there would be no justification to arrest me in that situation

if the police REALLY need to search your phone, they can get a warrant. there isn't much more to it. but then again, i'm sure tt would be fine with surveillance videos in his house because he has nothing to hide :lol:

And, how exactly do you know they wouldn't take your SSN or credit card information. I agree that if you don't do something stupid in general you won't be arrested. However, if you are arrested for something petty or wrongly arrested and have personal information on your phone, I don't think the police should have access to it. Not all information in a phone for arrested people is incriminating, but may rather be personal and confidential.

I'm sure if they do check your phone, the only thing they'd be able to do is charge you for a crime relating to what they found. It's like searching for a gun in your house... if they see a bong with weed in plain sight, they can't do anything about it because it's not what they were looking for.

No cop would arrest you for that, I wouldn't have a motive or any relation to my neighbor. Once they interview me, I'll let them check my room. Yeah see the loaded AK? Or what about the 12 inch butcher knife? Oh I didn't see those either because I would never be in the situation...

I see where you're coming from, it's just it would never happen to me, and if it did there would be no justification to arrest me in that situation

keep telling yourself that. obviously you haven't left your white middle class suburb and seen the real world. hell, have you ever watched the news? arrested doesn't always mean you did something wrong. it could mean you are a suspect and they want to make sure you don't make a move.

I'm sure if they do check your phone, the only thing they'd be able to do is charge you for a crime relating to what they found. It's like searching for a gun in your house... if they see a bong with weed in plain sight, they can't do anything about it because it's not what they were looking for.

they can't search your home without a warrant. the problem isn't that they search the phone, the problem is they have no warrant, meaning they have no grounds to search it. they can look at whatever they want.

keep telling yourself that. obviously you haven't left your white middle class suburb and seen the real world. hell, have you ever watched the news? arrested doesn't always mean you did something wrong. it could mean you are a suspect and they want to make sure you don't make a move.

They would need a reason to arrest me. If my neighbor gets murdered, I'd be fine with getting arrested if they had a legit reason. But the thing is, they don't. Like I said I obviously see your point that it COULD happen, but they don't arrest people for NO reason, other than living right next door.

Here's your situation: They look at me, 18 years old. Criminal record? None. Traffic Records? Never even pulled over.. Good standing in school, varsity athletics. I'm sure I'm their #1 suspect.