Something I noticed in the Bible

Real Deal

• Owner
Second Peter 3:7

“But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.”

From my understanding, this is tying the Flood and the end of days together, saying that the world will end the same way. Could be wrong in the way I translate that, but either way, I ran across this as well...

“But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

What does that even mean? I never understood the significance of this in the Bible.

However, I just read about that new-age Ark (the topic here at TLN), and it got me thinking...

Genesis 7:4

“For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.”

Noah had a seven-day notice, from God.

Is it possible that you can connect these three, in any way?

The way I understand things, the Bible has related those seven days to 7,000 years (one day to 1,000 years).

If that's true, and the Flood happened in 4990 BC, adding 7,000 years (no year zero) would mean that 2011 would be it. He gave the world seven days to get into the Ark. Is He giving us 7,000 years (one day to 1,000 years) to seek His safety?

If you don't believe in God and plan on derailing the topic with ridiculous statements, don't post. You'll be banned from the Off-Topic forum for two months.

• Like 2

Before I say anything, let it be known I am relatively ignorant to the Bible...

With that said, I think the line, "“But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day,” means that God is with you every single day; that one day or a thousand, He will always be with you.

As for the other stuff, I personally don't take it literally. The Bible and its stories are a metaphor for principles of living, created by humans just like you and me. I don't take any possible predictions seriously.

I am an atheist so I tend to ignore the bible when it comes to factual stuff...however I will admit that most of it makes for great discussion fodder...I am also not ignorant to other beliefs which seems to be very hard for most people...I get along with everyone regardless of race/creed/religion or social status...

I think I can answer these fairly well.

From my understanding, this is tying the Flood and the end of days together, saying that the world will end the same way. Could be wrong in the way I translate that, but either way, I ran across this as well...

What does that even mean? I never understood the significance of this in the Bible.

In the previous verse (6), Peter was saying that God demonstrates the truthfulness of His word, and that He has intervened in dramatic ways in the past. God said that he would destroy the world with a flood, and He did. In verse 7, God will keep to His word and destroy the world, but this time with fire. In verse 8, Peter is talking about the delay of Christ's second coming (and the eventual judgment and destruction of the world). The bit about the thousand years shows that God does not view time the same way humans do. It's hard to wrap our minds around that concept, but time is a natural law and God is outside of those laws, so time doesn't apply to him. God is also delaying Christ's second coming because he wants more people to repent.

Noah had a seven-day notice, from God.

Is it possible that you can connect these three, in any way?

The way I understand things, the Bible has related those seven days to 7,000 years (one day to 1,000 years).

If that's true, and the Flood happened in 4990 BC, adding 7,000 years (no year zero) would mean that 2011 would be it. He gave the world seven days to get into the Ark. Is He giving us 7,000 years (one day to 1,000 years) to seek His safety?

I think it's reasonable to draw parallels to the two events, but you have to keep in mind there will be no warning of when Christ's second coming happens. In 1 Thessalonians 5:2, Paul says "For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night."

As for the time thing, I'd have to look deeper into that. Most of the time (depending on the passage), when time is mentioned it is meant literally. When you get to verses like "that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” the writer is trying to illustrate something, in this case that God does not view time the say way we do. Sometimes you have to look at the context of the verse and dig a little to understand what's going on.

• Like 3

we have really really bad floods in Australia if you haven't heard yet... :blink:

idk i went to a Catholic school and even though i was young (primary school) i never really believed any of the stuff being said but some of it was pretty interesting and makes you wonder

• Owner

Sorry, let me rephrase what I said at the beginning: the Earth will "end" in the same way in regards to the seven days scenario, but with The Rapture instead of the Ark, and then God destroys the Earth with fire.

The topic is more about the translation of the "one day is to 1,000 years" comment. To me, it's stating that the seven days he gave Noah are equal to the 7,000 years he's giving us...and if that's true, 2011 is the year.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:2, Paul says "For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night."
"But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief."

Almost sounds like some will know.

Sorry, let me rephrase what I said at the beginning: the Earth will "end" in the same way in regards to the seven days scenario, but with The Rapture instead of the Ark, and then God destroys the Earth with fire.

The topic is more about the translation of the "one day is to 1,000 years" comment. To me, it's stating that the seven days he gave Noah are equal to the 7,000 years he's giving us...and if that's true, 2011 is the year.

Almost sounds like some will know.

Gotcha. Yes, He's given a lot time for more people to repent, and whether it's 7,000 years or more I can't say. As for the last verse you posted, the darkness is referring to an unbeliever's moral state and separation from God, but as Christians we don't have to worry about the darkness because we'll be with God. God calls for us to be alert and sober (self-disciplined), and while we don't know exactly when the tribulation will happen, it's not going to take us by surprise when it does.

• Like 1

• Owner

Gotcha. Yes, He's given a lot time for more people to repent, and whether it's 7,000 years or more I can't say. As for the last verse you posted, the darkness is referring to an unbeliever's moral state and separation from God, but as Christians we don't have to worry about the darkness because we'll be with God. God calls for us to be alert and sober (self-disciplined), and while we don't know exactly when the tribulation will happen, it's not going to take us by surprise when it does.

Ah, I see.

"Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee."

If the believers aren't watching, he will come as a thief in the night. That's what I get from that verse.

Just confusing, that's all.

Yeah, it is kind of confusing. I think it's talking about how one responds to the Gospel message. If you listen to it, repent and keep it, you'll be fine...but if you listen to it and you don't repent, and don't keep it, you'll be in trouble once Christ comes back.

I think that's what it's talking about it. Look at Revelation 2:5 and it says the same thing. In my study Bible it also references 1 Thess. 5:2, the verse I posted earlier.

Wow, we have a really bad flood in Australia, one that already claimed 10 people's lives and 90+ others missing. This is the worst flood in 110+ years.

And check this out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/purpleb0n9/frogonsnake.jpg

Of all the support for the devastating Queensland floods, this has to be the most unusual — a green frog hitching a ride on the back of a brown snake.

"I felt amazement, I just couldn’t believe it," Mr Gerlach told ninemsn.

Mr Gelach said a friend who had been affected by many floods told him animals often helped each other out during disasters.

"It's quite common when you have animals in floods or fires or disasters, they actually get together and don't do anything," he said.

And in Victoria (Melbourne), we have rains for like 2 weeks (albeit not continuously)... but what's most amazing is this is supposed to be summer and amazingly hot days. INstead, it's been raining and it feels more like autumn than summer. I think we had like a total of 1-2 days of rain in last year's summer. This summer has been anything else but summer. It's been a lot of water.

The bible also says nobody knows of the end times, or the day it will happen. Im pretty sure there wouldnt be any hints as to when it would happen.

Either we will populate too much and not have enough food, or the Earth will flood due to melting ice, I saw some magazine when I was on some airplane and it showed almost half the earth under water in 1000-2000 years.