Report: Nets receive permission to speak with Melo

Nestle Snipes

The Carmelo Anthony trade talks appear to have taken another step forward.

NBA.com reports the Denver Nuggets gave the New Jersey Nets permission Sunday to speak directly with the forward and sell him on changing teams. The permission allows the Nets to negotiate with Anthony without being guilty of tampering.

Yahoo! Sports and ESPN.com reported that a meeting between Anthony; Nets majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov and minority owner Jay-Z could take place Tuesday.

The Nets have been working to acquire Anthony since last summer after Anthony balked at signing the Nuggets' offer of a three-year, $65 contract extension. New Jersey wants Anthony to agree to the extension before it signs off on the trade.

Recent reports indicated a proposed three-way trade involving the Nuggets, Nets and Detroit Pistons could be completed this week. As many as 16 players, led by Anthony, could be changing teams in the swap.[/Quote]

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-01-16/report-nets-receive-permission-to-speak-with-melo

Edited by Nestlé Snipes

Denied

In a post-game interview on Sunday night, Carmelo Anthony expressed no interest in communicating with New Jersey's top officials, who aim to convince him to sign a contract extension with the Nets.

Reports are swirling that the Nuggets have granted the Nets permission to speak with Anthony as the final details of a three-team trade are apparently being hammered out.

Anthony said contact with the Nets should be made by Denver's front office.

"The Nuggets pay me. I can't talk to those people," Anthony said.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71186/20110117/carmelo_expresses_no_interest_in_meeting_with_nets/#ixzz1BGhiIQij

When I let Anthony know that his comments were coming across as a resounding no to an invitation to get involved in the trade talks with the Nets, he said, "Yeah, I don’t want the NBA coming down on me or coming down on the team." Then I reminded him that the NBA would not consider such a conversation tampering because the Nuggets were on board.

Ken Berger

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

LOL. Bench him for the rest of the season, then let him walk for less money and less years in July and just take the loss.

I don't think he'd mind that at all, actually. he'd still be able to sign wherever he wants this summer and he'd make so much endorsement money in New York, it'd more than make up for the lost contract money. meanwhile, the Nuggets would completely take themselves out of playoff contention by benching him and they'd still get absolutely nothing for him when he leaves.

I don't get why you're so much against Carmelo. he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore and he has the right to request a trade. he's not forcing them to trade him, but he's still letting them know he won't be back. he couldn't really be handling this any better, but your still on his case.

Edited by HOV

• Owner

I don't get why you're so much against Carmelo. he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore and he has the right to request a trade. he's not forcing them to trade him, but he's still letting them know he won't be back. he couldn't really be handling this any better, but your still on his case.

He's not forcing them to trade him? Yeah, he is...and not only that, he's also forcing them to trade him to New York. He's not coming out and saying it, but everyone knows what he's doing.

He couldn't be handling this any better? He could've just played out the season and never made a comment about it until the Nuggets were eliminated from the playoffs. He could say, "I'm going to explore my options as a free agent," and leave it at that...no mention of any other city, ever.

THEN, if he decided he's going to explore those options, he could ask whatever team he's going to about a sign-and-trade deal, to give him the extra year on his contract and to give back to the Nuggets.

He shouldn't have the green light, as a player under contract, to pick one team and become a locker room distraction by making ignorant comments about the city of Denver, or about the Nuggets' organization, or about where he would want to play or where he has always dreamed of playing.

Two things are a given: he will not be playing in Denver next season, no matter what, and he's not going to sign his extension until he's guaranteed to be going to New York in a trade. That gives me the conclusion that he doesn't give a [expletive] about the Denver Nuggets. He doesn't want to play for them anymore, doesn't want them to try to add more pieces to satisfy him, and he doesn't want them to add pieces they would like to have AFTER he's gone because they are extremely limited right now.

It's pretty clear why he's doing wrong.

He's not forcing them to trade him? Yeah, he is...and not only that, he's also forcing them to trade him to New York.

he's not forcing them to trade him. they don't HAVE to trade him.

He's not coming out and saying it, but everyone knows what he's doing.

he has the right to only want to play for one team. why should he spend the next three plus years of his career playing somewhere he doesn't want to be? he has more leverage than Denver here, and he's using it.

He couldn't be handling this any better? He could've just played out the season and never made a comment about it until the Nuggets were eliminated from the playoffs. He could say, "I'm going to explore my options as a free agent," and leave it at that...no mention of any other city, ever.

impossible. Denver's been offering him this extension for at least six months now, probably longer. he couldn't have just gone the whole year without telling them yes or no on their offer. I'm sure they demanded an answer and I'm sure he had no choice but to decide whether or not he was going to sign the extension.

THEN, if he decided he's going to explore those options, he could ask whatever team he's going to about a sign-and-trade deal, to give him the extra year on his contract and to give back to the Nuggets.

dude...

you can't possibly be serious. this is a business, everyone knows this is a business. Melo isn't a saint. he's a professional basketball player looking to provide for him and his family. becoming an unrestricted free agent, agreeing to play for a new team, then saying, 'oh, btw, I won't sign this contract unless you guys give something to Denver.' no player would ever do that, dude. those are totally unrealistic expectations.

He shouldn't have the green light, as a player under contract, to pick one team and become a locker room distraction by making ignorant comments about the city of Denver, or about the Nuggets' organization, or about where he would want to play or where he has always dreamed of playing.

why the hell not? it's a free country. you can't just make it illegal for him to make statements to the media about places he might want to play in the future.

Two things are a given: he will not be playing in Denver next season, no matter what, and he's not going to sign his extension until he's guaranteed to be going to New York in a trade. That gives me the conclusion that he doesn't give a [expletive] about the Denver Nuggets. He doesn't want to play for them anymore, doesn't want them to try to add more pieces to satisfy him, and he doesn't want them to add pieces they would like to have AFTER he's gone because they are extremely limited right now.

you're probably right. he probably doesn't give a [expletive] about Denver anymore. he's already given them more than seven years of his career and they never even made the finals. I wouldn't give a [expletive] about them anymore, either.

Melo wants to move on and I understand that completely. he's been there for close to a decade and it just didn't work out. he has the right to sign wherever he wants at the end of the year and he's at least allowing Denver the chance to get something for him while he's there.

I think the only way he could win with you is if he stayed in Denver, but that's not the way it works anymore. it's a business and when a player's contract expires, they can sign anywhere. if Denver didn't want their backs to the wall, they should have traded him earlier. that way, he would have had more years left on his contract and they could have gotten more in exchange. they never traded him, though, and they never extended him, so this is where they're at.

It's pretty clear why he's doing wrong.

not to me, I guess.

• Owner
he's not forcing them to trade him. they don't HAVE to trade him.

Yeah, they do have to trade him, or they will lose him for nothing. You even stated that a bit ago. By definition, no player can force any team to trade him...but Melo is pretty damn close to doing just that...and not only that, but also determining what they get for him. The more he demands NY, the less the Knicks have to offer.

he has the right to only want to play for one team. why should he spend the next three plus years of his career playing somewhere he doesn't want to be? he has more leverage than Denver here, and he's using it.

There's a reason why players aren't free agents during an NBA season. Carmelo is not a free agent.

impossible. Denver's been offering him this extension for at least six months now, probably longer. he couldn't have just gone the whole year without telling them yes or no on their offer. I'm sure they demanded an answer and I'm sure he had no choice but to decide whether or not he was going to sign the extension.

I never said it was impossible to tell them no. Many players decline extensions. Was Dwyane Wade a free agent? Where is he playing now? If he says no to an extension, it's clear he's going to test free agency (or, of course, leave Denver). He can wait it out, then work out a sign-and-trade at the end of the year, to give back to the Nuggets.

But, see, Melo doesn't have all of the leverage...because, as stated earlier, the Nuggets can keep him past the deadline and end up not using a sign-and-trade, which loses one year on his contract, more money, AND risks losing 30% of the money he could earn due to a new CBA (assuming the CBA won't cut all player salaries, and they are going to consider keeping all contracts signed pre-CBA 2011).

Obviously, that gives them nothing back...but it also screws Melo over. Even though he can make that up elsewhere, through endorsements, it's still an eight-digit number that he would love to see, anywhere around $30+ million he won't get out of that contract.

you can't possibly be serious. this is a business, everyone knows this is a business. Melo isn't a saint. he's a professional basketball player looking to provide for him and his family. becoming an unrestricted free agent, agreeing to play for a new team, then saying, 'oh, btw, I won't sign this contract unless you guys give something to Denver.' no player would ever do that, dude. those are totally unrealistic expectations.

Players do make that decision, because a sign-and-trade gives them an extra year on their contract. No team can offer more than the original.

why the hell not? it's a free country. you can't just make it illegal for him to make statements to the media about places he might want to play in the future.

Ask the Denver fans what they think of it. He was booed the other night by half of them.

he's already given them more than seven years of his career and they never even made the finals. I wouldn't give a [expletive] about them anymore, either.

LOL, easily tells me where you stand just by that comment alone, then. Seven years is 14 Finals teams, ONLY seven out of his conference. The Lakers are nearly a dynasty, and the Spurs ruled after the Kobe/Shaq era...and four of his seven playoff visits have come to an end due to those two teams.

Is this something you would've considered to Karl Malone and John Stockton, when they didn't reach the NBA Finals for 11-12 seasons before getting there twice, only to lose to the Bulls (a.k.a. greatest team ever)?

Didn't LeBron James go to the Finals in his fourth NBA season? Why did he leave?

How long did it take Dirk to get there in 2006? Eight. He's on his 13th with one team, and just one Finals visit.

Steve Nash never demanded a trade, and he's never been to the Finals. He's playing on a Suns team that's needing him to score 10 more points than he's already averaging, and he's barely able to play 30 minutes due to his back.

Not even Kevin Garnett bolted after seven years.

I think the only way he could win with you is if he stayed in Denver, but that's not the way it works anymore. it's a business and when a player's contract expires, they can sign anywhere. if Denver didn't want their backs to the wall, they should have traded him earlier. that way, he would have had more years left on his contract and they could have gotten more in exchange. they never traded him, though, and they never extended him, so this is where they're at.

He could win me over by staying in Denver, or by just shutting up to begin with and just letting his contract expire and becoming a free agent. He could've also kept it behind closed doors, instead of mentioning it in interviews and being an idiot on Twitter.

When a player's contract expires, they can sign anywhere...yes. Carmelo is still under contract.

Melo never let the organization know he was going to do this until it was too late. He should've told them his plans, behind closed doors, right after his Nuggets were beat by the Jazz in the playoffs last year (or sooner, because he already knew he was going to leave Denver).

I know this has a little to do with LeBron leaving Cleveland, no matter how much you deny it...but if you remove The Decision and the fact that he led fans to believe he was going to return and "build a contender in Cleveland" (his words), LeBron actually did the right thing. Carmelo isn't.

Im pretty sure hes gonna get max no matter what right?

A new CBA needs to be reached after this season, and the max contracts could take a hit in the new agreement. That's one point the Nets FO is likely to use to convince Melo that signing the extension with Jersey following a trade is the better option, as opposed to waiting until free agency.

Yeah, they do have to trade him, or they will lose him for nothing. You even stated that a bit ago. By definition, no player can force any team to trade him...but Melo is pretty damn close to doing just that...and not only that, but also determining what they get for him. The more he demands NY, the less the Knicks have to offer.

... and that's good on Melo. it's a business and he's using his leverage to get what he wants. you're criticizing him for doing all the right things lol.

There's a reason why players aren't free agents during an NBA season. Carmelo is not a free agent.

well, obviously lol. my point was that if he only wants to play for one team, so be it. if the plan is to work out an extension before the end of the year, he should be able to choose whatever team he wants. Denver could still trade him without him signing an extension, but they won't get nearly as much out of the deal. that's Denver's fault, though.

I never said it was impossible to tell them no. Many players decline extensions. Was Dwyane Wade a free agent? Where is he playing now? If he says no to an extension, it's clear he's going to test free agency (or, of course, leave Denver).

but Melo already declined his extension. otherwise, he would have signed it by now. you can't compare Melo's situation with Wade's or anyone else's. it's a different scenario with each player. the Heat didn't trade Wade because they thought he'd stay with them. Denver knows Melo won't stay with them, so they know they have to trade him.

He can wait it out, then work out a sign-and-trade at the end of the year, to give back to the Nuggets.

dude, why would he give back to his competition? that's absolutely senseless.

But, see, Melo doesn't have all of the leverage...because, as stated earlier, the Nuggets can keep him past the deadline and end up not using a sign-and-trade, which loses one year on his contract, more money, AND risks losing 30% of the money he could earn due to a new CBA (assuming the CBA won't cut all player salaries, and they are going to consider keeping all contracts signed pre-CBA 2011).

Obviously, that gives them nothing back...but it also screws Melo over. Even though he can make that up elsewhere, through endorsements, it's still an eight-digit number that he would love to see, anywhere around $30+ million he won't get out of that contract.

but the Nuggets won't do that; it'd be way too foolish on their part. the fans would lose it if they see Melo leave for nothing.

Players do make that decision, because a sign-and-trade gives them an extra year on their contract. No team can offer more than the original.

they're never done the way you were proposing it be done, though.

they usually occur when teams have to do it to make salaries match.

Ask the Denver fans what they think of it. He was booed the other night by half of them.

so you really think it should be illegal for players to discuss joining other teams?

LOL, easily tells me where you stand just by that comment alone, then. Seven years is 14 Finals teams, ONLY seven out of his conference. The Lakers are nearly a dynasty, and the Spurs ruled after the Kobe/Shaq era...and four of his seven playoff visits have come to an end due to those two teams.

but things are just going to get worse in Denver. Billups, Nene, and K-Mart are all past their prime and they're all free agents pretty soon. Melo wants a new start, playing for a young, contending team. I don't get how he could be blamed for that, especially considering the current landscape of the NBA.

Is this something you would've considered to Karl Malone and John Stockton, when they didn't reach the NBA Finals for 11-12 seasons before getting there twice, only to lose to the Bulls (a.k.a. greatest team ever)?

Didn't LeBron James go to the Finals in his fourth NBA season? Why did he leave?

How long did it take Dirk to get there in 2006? Eight. He's on his 13th with one team, and just one Finals visit.

Steve Nash never demanded a trade, and he's never been to the Finals. He's playing on a Suns team that's needing him to score 10 more points than he's already averaging, and he's barely able to play 30 minutes due to his back.

Not even Kevin Garnett bolted after seven years.

none of those players you mentioned ever won a title except Garnett, and that was after he left the Wolves. sticking with the same team for all those years makes you loyal, but it doesn't necessarily make you a winner. I'd rather be a winner.

He could win me over by staying in Denver, or by just shutting up to begin with and just letting his contract expire and becoming a free agent. He could've also kept it behind closed doors, instead of mentioning it in interviews and being an idiot on Twitter.

When a player's contract expires, they can sign anywhere...yes. Carmelo is still under contract.

Melo never let the organization know he was going to do this until it was too late. He should've told them his plans, behind closed doors, right after his Nuggets were beat by the Jazz in the playoffs last year (or sooner, because he already knew he was going to leave Denver).

I know this has a little to do with LeBron leaving Cleveland, no matter how much you deny it...but if you remove The Decision and the fact that he led fans to believe he was going to return and "build a contender in Cleveland" (his words), LeBron actually did the right thing. Carmelo isn't.

dude, you can't just 'remove' actual events from the equation. you can't say, 'but if you remove the stabbing, this murderer is actually a pretty good guy.' you gotta take all or nothing.

I can't believe you think LeBron handled this better than Melo. LeBron deceived all the Cavs fans into thinking he'd stay... then he left. not only that - he did it on national television for all of them to see. he handled it in the worst way possible.

Melo is at least giving his team the option of getting something in return. I'd rather a player tell me, 'look, I'm gonna leave, but you can trade me now if you want.' that's much better than the player saying, 'I'm gonna stick around, just keep me here and I'll get us a ring'... then he leaves.

So Woj released an article talking about how Prokhy's meeting with Melo (assuming he does meet with him) holds a lot of meaning for the organization. He says the organization is basically appearing as a joke if Prokhy comes out of the meeting without an agreement with Melo and that they are a "bigger lost cause than they've ever been."

I honestly don't know what to expect anymore, nor do I know what's better for the team. Reportedly, Damion James is apart of the deal now as well.

It's been a crazy three months and a ridiculous two weeks.

• Owner

They do it all the time. You do realize that both LeBron and Bosh did it, right? The Cavs and Raptors received picks in a sign-and-trade, and it gave both LeBron and Bosh an extra year on their contracts, giving them a reason to take a little less money.

I can't believe you think LeBron handled this better than Melo.

...I'm pretty sure I made it clear that he didn't, which is why I said you'd have to remove a few events that took place.

All the rest of the stuff is opinion. You're making excuses for Carmelo throwing the Nuggets under the bus during the season, and I'm saying it was wrong of him to do so. Simple as that. He should've kept it behind closed doors if he really wants to leave.

• Owner

So Woj released an article talking about how Prokhy's meeting with Melo (assuming he does meet with him) holds a lot of meaning for the organization. He says the organization is basically appearing as a joke if Prokhy comes out of the meeting without an agreement with Melo and that they are a "bigger lost cause than they've ever been."

If Melo is dead-set on the Knicks, I don't see why anyone would think/say that. Sometimes, you can't change anyone's mind, no matter what you throw on the table.

• Owner

they did that to ensure themselves some extra money. it had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to help their former teams.

LOL dude, did you not see what you quoted?

And you said...

???

because you think Melo should have kept his mouth shut all year long and waited to become an unrestricted free agent before choosing a new team. then, once he decided on a new team, you proposed he ask that team to facilitate a sign and trade to help Denver. I was trying to show that LeBron and Bosh did that to give themselves some extra money/security. they didn't do it to help their former teams, which you think Melo should do with Denver.

• Owner

because you think Melo should have kept his mouth shut all year long and waited to become an unrestricted free agent before choosing a new team. then, once he decided on a new team, you proposed he ask that team to facilitate a sign and trade to help Denver. I was trying to show that LeBron and Bosh did that to give themselves some extra money/security. they didn't do it to help their former teams, which you think Melo should do with Denver.

:unsure:

I stated that Melo would want to do a sign-and-trade so he can get an extra year on his deal (I'll quote that post if needed). That's the main reason. I never said he would do it to help Denver. I said he should, to give back a little.

The sign-and-trade gives him the extra year today, in February, or even after the new CBA is put into place. Doesn't matter. Will he walk for nothing, and not give anything back to Denver? I doubt he would, especially because the new CBA could cut his salary significantly.

But, again, the point is that he should've never made this a public issue, not during the season. That's why half of the Denver crowd booed him the other night.

What he needed to do was play out the season, then seek the sign-and-trade deal to the Knicks. At that point, he'll be a free agent, officially, and he'll be able to say where he goes...and THEN, at that point, Denver can either get what they can, or just let him walk for nothing.

However, since he already made it public and became the eventual villain in Denver, there's no turning back...and Denver is going to get screwed because Melo could care less about the team or the fans, or else he wouldn't have been so disruptive during the season.

I feel bad for his Nuggets teammates, and the new GM that has to put up with this. Hell, even Nets fans are getting sick of it.