Sheridan on Knicks/Nets/Melo

NomarFachix

Knick fans are acting like they have the upper hands now... we don't know if Prokhorov is bluffing to prompt Nuggets to do deal... and even if they mean it, we can still turn to Rockets.

Furthermore, Wilson Chandler already stated he would not play in Denver. That complicates things as he's a FA this summer... and he leaves us in the summer? Gallo also said he wouldn't want to be traded to Denver. Now this uncertainty of their (Chandler and Gallo) commitment to Nuggets just severely drop their package value.

I will take Kevin Martin (at least 20+ppg for the next 4-5 years?), and I'm sure for Carmelo, the Rockets will go the next step and include Aaron Brooks... who we can trade to another team for some value. Yeah, they won't get commitment from Melo, but they should be confident because they were at one time on Melo's wish list, and Melo's top priority is security and pay esp when lockout hits.

Knick fans are acting like they have the upper hands now... we don't know if Prokhorov is bluffing to prompt Nuggets to do deal... and even if they mean it, we can still turn to Rockets.

Furthermore, Wilson Chandler already stated he would not play in Denver. That complicates things as he's a FA this summer... and he leaves us in the summer? Gallo also said he wouldn't want to be traded to Denver. Now this uncertainty of their (Chandler and Gallo) commitment to Nuggets just severely drop their package value.

I will take Kevin Martin (at least 20+ppg for the next 4-5 years?), and I'm sure for Carmelo, the Rockets will go the next step and include Aaron Brooks... who we can trade to another team for some value. Yeah, they won't get commitment from Melo, but they should be confident because they were at one time on Melo's wish list, and Melo's top priority is security and pay esp when lockout hits.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You still think Prokhorov is bluffing???????

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

^Maybe... I'm not serious with that comment... but a man like that, you don't know what's up with his bag of tricks just when you think you have him figured out, he surprises you.

What better than to familiarize yourself with this whole NBA thing than trading for a superstar? Learn how a franchise player can do for your sports team, success on and off the court. For a foreigner investor like him, Melo would make him see the NBA from a larger scope.

^Maybe... I'm not serious with that comment... but a man like that, you don't know what's up with his bag of tricks just when you think you have him figured out, he surprises you.

What better than to familiarize yourself with this whole NBA thing than trading for a superstar? Learn how a franchise player can do for your sports team, success on and off the court. For a foreigner investor like him, Melo would make him see the NBA from a larger scope.

Sure but at the end of the day he is a man. A man that clearly feels very disrespected by the Nuggets management. The only way this deal would continue is if Kroenke got on his knees and sucked his dick. Real talk.

Do you seriously believe that for a half year rental that the Rockets will give up a good, young PG in Brooks AND a 20PPG scorer in his prime in Martin??? Here's what will happen...

Denver: "Yeah, if you guys want Carmelo, we'll want Brooks, Martin and a draft picks."

Morey: "Ok, let me crunch some numbers." *enters numbers* "Oh, ok, well here is what my computer is telling me..." *Shows them computer which says "[expletive] off"*

^Like I said in my post, you don't know for sure he's a rental for them. If you're the Rockets and willing to take risk, you gotta feel confident, esp at one time it was said they were on Melo's wish list and Melo's top priority (read article below) is signing extension, not sign a new contract with a new team under next CBA.

Rockets are fair-sized market, definitely bigger than Denver...

Is there going to be a lockout?

"Oh, without a doubt," he said. "Without a doubt."

So that's another reason to sign the extension now, I said.

"Exactly."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/01/18/carmelo/index.html

^Like I said in my post, you don't know for sure he's a rental for them. If you're the Rockets and willing to take risk, you gotta feel confident, esp at one time it was said they were on Melo's wish list and Melo's top priority (read article below) is signing extension, not sign a new contract with a new team under next CBA.

Rockets are fair-sized market, definitely bigger than Denver...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/01/18/carmelo/index.html

Why would Melo want to go there after 2 of their 3 best players (young ones, at that) are traded? Melo would arrive to a team with Scola, an aging Battier, and not a whole lot else. He'd be better off in Denver, where there is a better team and better fan support.

He's going to the Knicks, or maybe the Bulls if they can put together a lucrative package. Rockets have no chance to keep him long-term, so if they trade for him then you guys will not be getting both Brooks and Martin.

^Because he won't have a choice if we trade him to a team that is willing to rent him. Whether or not the Rockets are confident about resigning him, it's none of our (Denver's perspective) business. But imo they should be.

If not both of them, Kevin Martin or Aaron Brooks alone is better than the Knicks package, for the fact that their value just got a lot worse when Chandler said he's not staying with Nuggets long term.

^Because he won't have a choice if we trade him to a team that is willing to rent him. Whether or not the Rockets are confident about resigning him, it's none of our (Denver's perspective) business. But imo they should be.

If not both of them, Kevin Martin or Aaron Brooks alone is better than the Knicks package, for the fact that their value just got a lot worse when Chandler said he's not staying with Nuggets long term.

Kevin Martin or Aaron Brooks alone is not better than the Knicks package, and if Melo tells Morey he will not sign an extension there, then there is a possibility Morey won't put either in a deal. Maybe some cap relief, but he won't be giving up prime young talent for a possible run to the 2nd round of the playoffs...he's way too smart for that. And Melo WILL tell Morey he won't sign the extension, if for no other reason than to force the Nuggets' hand to trade him to where he wants.

You better believe maboi Woj

They've been considered a sleeper team for awhile. But just because they have picks and young players doesn't mean they are giving up Brooks + Martin + picks for a half-year rental. At most you may get one of them. My bet would be cap relief (they have Yao and I believe Battier's expirings), maybe a role player and a pick. The Knicks can offer you Gallo/Fields/Curry's expriring/picks. Since Melo won't sign the extension with Houston, that leaves NY as Denver's best option for return value.

Gallo is my boi, but he too (according to sources) is not happy about prospect of playing for Nuggets.

You don't want want players who publicly speak displeasure about (prospect of) playing for your team.

Houston also got Yao's expiring insurance-paid contract to offer us, plus KMart/ Brooks, plus Knicks 2012 unprotected pick, plus Jordan Hill, trumps NY's package.

I wouldn't lie, if Nets really back out (not bluff), Knicks' package of Chandler, Gallo, Fields, and picks is most attractive. But Chandler and Gallo essentially shot it down. Nugs would be fools to pursue it when they know those players are not keen on playing for the organization.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

I agree it is an issue with Chandler, since he will be a FA this summer, but with Gallo it shouldn't be a worry. Of course he won't want to leave a big market team who's playoff bound to a rebuilding team in a smaller market, but he will relish the opportunity to be a #1 guy in Denver. And he won't dog it the next 2 years because he will be looking to earn a fat contract.

As far as Houston goes, as I said, if Melo says no to the extension then the most you will get is Brooks or Martin, an expiring contract and maybe a draft pick. Morey wouldn't throw the kitchen sink at the Nuggets for a half-year rental.

Absolutely no way the Rockets trade Martin for Melo, what exactly would be the point of that? Martin is a borderline All-Star and has been the most efficient scorer in the league, a player of that caliber is someone you would want playing next to Carmelo. Morey wants Melo to team up with Martin and Scola and make a strong push for the playoffs. Houston can offer roughly $36 million in cap relief, more than ANY team in the NBA, and have the young assets and possibly picks (they need to acquire a 2011 or 2012 first in order to trade both their picks) to pull of a sweet deal for both sides.

A list of young players that CAN go for Melo are:

Kyle Lowry

Aaron Brooks

Courtney Lee

Chase Budinger

Jordan Hill

Patrick Patterson

Terrence Williams

Ishmael Smith

Any combination of 3 of those players plus cap relief and picks (Houston can easily acquire a late first). If Aaron Brooks or Lowry are traded then I'd LOVE to able to acquire Chauncey Billups, assuming the Nuggets want to move his contract.

If Morey came up to you today (on your doorstep!) and said "We have one offer to make and you get to make it... What will you offer for Carmelo Anthony? We must beat out the Knicks and still maintain roster integrity."... What would your one final offer be?

I don't think the Rockets would go any further than this:

Yao Ming, Jared Jeffries, Shane Battier (bought out), Aaron Brooks, Patrick Patterson/Jordan Hill, and maybe one of Terrence Williams/Chase Budinger for Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Al Harrington, and Chris Andersen. Denver sheds $23.4 million in salary and acquires $33 million in expirings along with some very solid young talent. However, Houston will likely seek out adding a third team with some salary cap like the Minnesota Timberwolves and trade them possibly Chase Budinger and acquire the Utah Jazz's 2011 first round draft pick. The Rockets are then able to add their 2011 first (rights to swap with the Knicks) and the Knicks' 2012 first round pick as well.

Remember though, the Rockets only have to beat the Knicks' and Maverick's offer. If their competition for Melo isn't much then we will probably see a trade much like Nitro's, which would consist of Aaron Brooks, Yao Ming, and one or two of their draft picks.

Edit: I also forget to mention that Yao's contract is insurance paid.

Edited by Dash