What will increase activity?

Real Deal

Call up David Stern and see if you could get some advertising with the NBA :)

1) I can almost guarantee he has nothing to do with the advertising done in the NBA. They have hundreds of other people for that.

2) Those people would say sure. And then they'd show you the crazy-high prices.

;)

1) I can almost guarantee he has nothing to do with the advertising done in the NBA. They have hundreds of other people for that.

2) Those people would say sure. And then they'd show you the crazy-high prices.

;)

I'm pretty sure Stern controls what ever he wants. All he would have to do is wear a suit with the OTR logo on it :) just beg him like that chick from American Idol

2:50-4:00 Edited by fish7718

I'll never move to vBulletin. I'd rather just shut the site down for good. It's an expensive version of phpBB.

Hahahaha, I said the exact same thing in my head when I read that post. :lol:

Some of you guys need to buy some OTR shirts, and wear them around your school. Better yet, buy the OTR thong and give it to that special lady friend of yours.

• Owner

Some of you guys need to buy some OTR shirts, and wear them around your school. Better yet, buy the OTR thong and give it to that special lady friend of yours.

http://www.cafepress.com/onthereal

Haha...still up. Needs an update, though.

Well, all I know is that activity will not increase internally, it never has and never will. It feels like this topic pops up once in a while but we always have the same dudes posting in the end. We have a really nice core of members here, and I don't know about everyone else but the thing I like about this board is I don't have to sift through arguments every thread or a bunch of BS topics. I can go through every topic that I've missed in a reasonable amount of time.

The only way we will increase activity is to bring on new members. And that is extremely difficult, it has been and always will be for message boards. People don't like when they join a board and are thousands of posts behind people, their opinion even gets discounted because of their post count. Of course new members like Oliver or whatever are an exception, but finding members who will be active and stick around is difficult, but that is the only way we can improve activity. It has always been difficult but like I made a topic a few years back, it'd be cool if we had a rookie of the year or some type of award every few months, just to kind of acknowledge/encourage new posters to be active and contribute in the short term when they first get here. Recruiting is just really difficult.

Really, activity feels the same to me, though. It'd be cool if we had a few fans for each team, but we don't and it's difficult even for realgm to do this. That's another thing, it sucks when you join this board and are the only fan of a team (Bucks, Clippers, etc). If we had 2-3 or so fans of each team the activity would be insane, because people would discuss their team, rather than just general NBA talk.

Edited by Check my Stats

I really believe that a lot of us are past our primes. i know that I used to love coming to this site because we were all in the same grade, basketball was the ish back then and so was our community. Guys like Ben, Jer, Steve, Me, HARRY (lol) and a few others excluding Harry haven't posted that much because I just honestly think we are past it. I would love for us to pick up the activity because it is almost like an addiction coming to this site. Being here for five years, I think that we either have to work on something, or find a way to let the ship sink peacefully(but I dont ever want to see that happen.)

The easiest and most effective way of increasing activity (at least in my opinion) is to create topics. News reports are nice and all but unless the report isn't anything significant or noteworthy, there really isn't much to add after the first few posts. More creative and debatable topics are what could generate more activity.

wow, some of you are sounding apocalyptic about this lol. all we need is new members. if we find a way to get new people registering here, our activity will spike for sure. it might be time to invest in advertising. I know you can pay to put ads on mlbtraderumors.com and what not. advertising on some basketball site or radio station or whatever would do wonders.

The easiest way to increase more activity is recruiting the correct way, do not spam other forums. Try email, IM's, and social networking sites which could be a great key to get more fresh faces in. Another plausible way is to create quality discussion topics instead of just posting news topic. When you post a news topic, put some analysis on it, it doesn't mean you have to write an essay, just write about 2-4 sentences on that topic and readers are more interested in posting when someone does it.

Cavamatic has a great idea. I saw RSZ and ASH (two forums I post on) (I prefer OTR)) merge with other forums and this made their forum WAY more active. Try that out!

RSZ never was made more active by merging... the last merge we gained 1 active dedicated member and a couple guys who post from time to time.

Merging doesn't work unless both boards are extremely active (Even then it's risky, people won't get on and chances are one group of members will leave and restart their old board), and if two forums are that active they have no reason to merge.

We should make a thread about all the times the Mavs choked, it would get us 500 posts per day tbh.

Remember when the Rockets were up 2-0 on the Mavs and we won the series?

Oh yeah, Mavs def choked there...

Man... you guys don't need to increase activity...

I'm an admin of another basketball forum and it's seriously dead over there. Over a year ago, the forum was getting like 30-50 thousand posts a month... and now it's like 2-3 thousand posts a month.

You guys are doing just fine from what I can see.