Paul Jones: Peja's Injury Was Bogus

I'm sure everybody knew this, or at the very least suspected this, but I found it funny how bluntly Jones put it:

For those of you that had your bogus meter on high about his injury, you were right.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2011/01/21/jones_blog/

Some other interesting comments from him about just how professional Stojakovic was during his time "with" the Raptors:

As for Stojakovic's time in Toronto, it was a two-sided affair in that it was another case of a veteran player not wanting to be in Toronto at the end of his career to be part of a young team's rebuilding phase.

There's one side that says at least he was professional, showed up and kept his mouth shut. Then there's the other side that says, he totally duped the fans for never wanting to be here.

But there are some that say the organization should not have done it because of the fallout and perception that it continues to perpetuate about Toronto around the league. The bottom line: it's a case of Stojakovic wanting to win at this point in his career and it wasn't happening in Toronto. In fairness, the organization probably wasn't going to play him ahead of the young guys, but he could have had an impact in mentoring some of them before he left for a better situation.

I don't like the way it happened because it propagates stereotypes about Toronto for the uneducated and misinformed. In truth, it's more about winning, or not winning in this case as opposed to living in the actual city.

He also compared Peja to Alonzo Mourning, back when the Raptors traded for him in the Carter deal:

The difference between him and Alonzo Mourning is two games in uniform.

Probably not thread worthy, but whatever. I found his sour grapes pretty amusing so I figured I'd post it.

To be fair, the Raptors management probably had just as much say in Peja not playing for the team, or having the "injury", as much as Peja himself did.

Both sides realized that there was no real future for Peja on this team and both of them would be better off if he didn't even play as it would be more beneficial for the Raptors to give those minutes to guys like Kleiza, Wright, DeRozan, Johnson and Davis instead of Stojakovic while there was no point in Peja suiting up considering he was going to be either traded or bought out once the 60-day rule expired.

This isn't the first time that a situation like this will have occured, and it sure as hell won't be the last time that it will either.

• Owner

To be fair, the Raptors management probably had just as much say in Peja not playing for the team, or having the "injury", as much as Peja himself did.

Both sides realized that there was no real future for Peja on this team and both of them would be better off if he didn't even play as it would be more beneficial for the Raptors to give those minutes to guys like Kleiza, Wright, DeRozan, Johnson and Davis instead of Stojakovic while there was no point in Peja suiting up considering he was going to be either traded or bought out once the 60-day rule expired.

This isn't the first time that a situation like this will have occured, and it sure as hell won't be the last time that it will either.

If that's the case, so be it...but I still stand by my post about me being glad he's going to Dallas. He didn't do anything for New Orleans, and was a huge liability on the defensive end. If this were the Peja back when he was dropping 20+ a game, it would be a bit different (maybe not, because I don't like any Kings players)...but Peja has fallen off the face of the Earth over the last two seasons, and for the last 5-6 years, his jumper just hasn't been there if you stick someone on him.

With that said, we just got rid of Mr. Camp-Shoot, so forgive me for being so harsh. ;) Toronto should be happy to get rid of him.