Bobcats/Hornets in serious trade talks

Dash

The Hornets and Bobcats are in advanced discussions on a trade that would send center Tyson Chandler to Charlotte in exchange for Emeka Okafor, according to NBA front-office sources.

The trade could have more components in its finished form.

Sources close to the process said talks featuring Chandler and Okafor have been ongoing since late last week.

The AP reports that the trade could be completed Monday.

Link

What is Charlotte on? I know this isn't the full deal but Okafor is much, much better than Chandler.

This deal is now official. Will be announced tomorrow. I posted the article and link to the Charlotte article in the Hornets board. I think Tyson is taking his physical tomorrow or something...which...in his case...this deal might not actually happen only because of that.

This deal is now official. Will be announced tomorrow. I posted the article and link to the Charlotte article in the Hornets board. I think Tyson is taking his physical tomorrow or something...which...in his case...this deal might not actually happen only because of that.

I think Tyson's had enough time to nurse what he had, would you think so kadillak? I have no idea about it, but I would think so.

I think Tyson's had enough time to nurse what he had, would you think so kadillak? I have no idea about it, but I would think so.

I would think so too, but you never know especially after that deal with OKC involving Wilcox and Smith went dead after they weren't happy when TC's physical revealed something about his foot injury from a few years back that was supposedly healed.

It's not really that lopsided of a trade.

Charlotte trades a supposed to be Power Forward for a 7'0. Plus, I think Charlotte is just trying to get rid of Meka's big contract. Emeka is a better player than Chandler, but there is no way Okafor should be getting that money for the next 5 years. Chadler's contract is bad as well but it does end in two years. Plus, Charlotte gets another player that has been to the playoffs.

OMG

We save on cap and get a much better player? PLEASE.

I wouldn't say that the Hornets save much money on this deal. Yeah, as of right now Chandler makes more money than Okafor does, but his contract runs out after this upcoming season (although he does have a player option that I would be shocked if he doesn't excercise) but Okafor is on the books long term and, if I am not mistaken, he will be making something like $13.5 and $14.5 million in the final years of his deal. For the next two years the Hornets save about $1-2M (not sure of the exact numbers) but in the long haul, the Bobcats are the team that is actually saving money as they get out from under the 6 year $72M extension that they gave Okafor before the beginning of last season.

Unless the Hornets are able to dump some salary before the season starts, they will still be paying the luxury tax anyways. They save a bit of money short term, but take on more salary long term.

I do agree with you about Okafor being the better player. He is a better defender and the better offensive player (which isn't saying much as neither have that good of a post game). Playing with Chris Paul may help out Okafor on the offensive end of the floor a lot though.

Good deal for the Hornets and I can see why the Cats make the deal as well. They are losing money and Okafor was due to make some serious coin and they needed to get out from under that deal and at the same time they acquired a pretty good center.

I wouldn't say that the Hornets save much money on this deal. Yeah, as of right now Chandler makes more money than Okafor does, but his contract runs out after this upcoming season (although he does have a player option that I would be shocked if he doesn't excercise) but Okafor is on the books long term and, if I am not mistaken, he will be making something like $13.5 and $14.5 million in the final years of his deal. For the next two years the Hornets save about $1-2M (not sure of the exact numbers) but in the long haul, the Bobcats are the team that is actually saving money as they get out from under the 6 year $72M extension that they gave Okafor before the beginning of last season.

Unless the Hornets are able to dump some salary before the season starts, they will still be paying the luxury tax anyways. They save a bit of money short term, but take on more salary long term.

I do agree with you about Okafor being the better player. He is a better defender and the better offensive player (which isn't saying much as neither have that good of a post game). Playing with Chris Paul may help out Okafor on the offensive end of the floor a lot though.

Good deal for the Hornets and I can see why the Cats make the deal as well. They are losing money and Okafor was due to make some serious coin and they needed to get out from under that deal and at the same time they acquired a pretty good center.

Yeah I initially just looked at Meka's 09 contract, but still. For the caliber of a player he might become, his salaries are about what is expected as his salary increases.

So Charlotte gives Okafor that huge extension last season, and then cancels it out by dealing Okafor—who they, again, gave an extension to just last year—for an inferior player with legitimate injury concerns. Assuming it's for cap relief down the road, the trade still reeks of horrible management because, 1) they could've gotten more value, and 2) they're essentially putting a fork in their next two seasons. It's time for a nuke.

So Charlotte gives Okafor that huge extension last season, and then cancels it out by dealing Okafor—who they, again, gave an extension to just last year—for an inferior player with legitimate injury concerns. Assuming it's for cap relief down the road, the trade still reeks of horrible management because, 1) they could've gotten more value, and 2) they're essentially putting a fork in their next two seasons. It's time for a nuke.

How exactly are they putting a fork in the next two seasons. The way I see it, Charlotte is still a playoff contending team. They've added Derrick Brown, Gerald Henderson, and Tyson Chandler and only lost Emeka Okafor and Cartier Martin. They're still a young team and you have to think that their young players will get better. They had a bad start last season and if it wasn't for that bad start, they would have made playoffs. Emeka Okafor is not that much better than Tyson Chandler.

Uh, NBA.com says there was a pick included...and that Charlotte included the first-rounder. :o

What the hell?

I've been looking everywhere on nba.com and I can't seem to find where you read it.

Edited by ATL

How exactly are they putting a fork in the next two seasons. The way I see it, Charlotte is still a playoff contending team. They've added Derrick Brown, Gerald Henderson, and Tyson Chandler and only lost Emeka Okafor and Cartier Martin. They're still a young team and you have to think that their young players will get better. They had a bad start last season and if it wasn't for that bad start, they would have made playoffs. Emeka Okafor is not that much better than Tyson Chandler.

You're kidding yourself if you think they're in any shape to compete. Their start to the season was not an aberration, it was a mediocre to below average team performing up to their level. And they just downgraded by trading down for an inferior player with shaky health. That, and they're fiscally handcuffed for the next two seasons.

Their owner is looking to sell the franchise. They might give the impression of competing, but that's the direction they're going in.