Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards

AboveLegit

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html

Someone tell me why Christopher Nolan isn't nominated...

Or more importantly, tell me why Leonardo DiCaprio hasn't been nominated for one of his two movies in 2010... [expletive] the academy.

Inception is nomiated for all the things you'd assume it'd be nominated for, Leo's performance was great but the other performances listed were better. I actually think all the nominations on here are accurate and well deserved.

Inception is nomiated for all the things you'd assume it'd be nominated for, Leo's performance was great but the other performances listed were better. I actually think all the nominations on here are accurate and well deserved.

Eh, I think his performance in Shutter Island was great, as was his performance in Inception. One of those two should have been nominated IMO.

But I'm honestly shocked that Nolan wasn't nominated for his work in Inception, it was a masterpiece.

Eh, I think his performance in Shutter Island was great, as was his performance in Inception. One of those two should have been nominated IMO.

But I'm honestly shocked that Nolan wasn't nominated for his work in Inception, it was a masterpiece.

He was nominated for cinematography, which he will probably win, and the screen writing which to me is the easiest topic to pick a winner aside from TS3 for animation.

He was nominated for cinematography, which he will probably win, and the screen writing which to me is the easiest topic to pick a winner aside from TS3 for animation.

I still think he should have been nominated for Director though. It was one of the most inventive, thought provoking, and unique movies I have seen in a long time. I thought it dragged a little in parts, but aside from that, excellent, best movie of the year.

I still think he should have been nominated for Director though. It was one of the most inventive, thought provoking, and unique movies I have seen in a long time. I thought it dragged a little in parts, but aside from that, excellent, best movie of the year.

A big criticism of the movie was that it got boring at times. With an all star cast, amazing script and fantastic scenery the only thing there is to blame is direction. In the end, I kinda agree, but I feel the fact 5 movies were nominated over were not a knock at inception but actually a praise to the direction in those movies.

The oscars are such a joke. Leo still doesnt have an oscar and he wasnt even nominated this year. Also Nolan is the best director in the business right now.

Oscars are becoming more like the grammys where its just a big joke and meaningless now.

A big criticism of the movie was that it got boring at times. With an all star cast, amazing script and fantastic scenery the only thing there is to blame is direction. In the end, I kinda agree, but I feel the fact 5 movies were nominated over were not a knock at inception but actually a praise to the direction in those movies.

Either way though, it's probably the best movie of the year (and if you don't agree with that, then it's probably in your top 3), it's very rare to see a movie that good not get any consideration for best director.

Inception should have been nominated for best editing and Nolan should have gotten best director nod over Hopper, Russel or the Coen Brothers. Nolan is probably the best director of the decade. The guy really doesn't make a bad film. From Momento to Batman Begins, to The Dark Knight to Prestige, and now with Inception. He really makes movies seem like your reading a book, and his imagination is exactly what you imagine.

And I still think Shutter Island doesn't get enough credit, it was phenomenal. It was well acted all around (especially Dicaprio I thought his performance was fantastic), the film did a great job building up suspense and I literally was on the edge of my seat for a good portion of the movie.

Lol? I hope you realize when it all boils down... Nolan was involved with all of it. Script, scenery, direction... it was all him. So yes, he did indeed deserve a [expletive]ing nomination at the very least.

All-star cast? Who are these so-called "all-stars"? Up-and-coming actors/actress is more like it... no where are they close to "all-star" caliber outside of Leo.

JGL, Tom Hardy, and Ellen Page are all up-and-coming. Hell, most people would view JGL as the kid from childhood movies/tv show (3rd Rock) and Page as Juno...

Caine, Wattanabe, Cillian Murphy were all minor roles and the lather are PROBABLY known for their roles in Nolan's Batman movies.

I wouldn't consider this "All-star" at all. The Departed, Gangs of New York, and Catch Me if You Can (And this is only listing movies featuring Leo) are/should be considered all-star casts... A few years from now, would I consider this cast all-star worthy? Maybe. But not right now...

Also, I hope you realize the Coen's REMADE a previous movie whereas Nolan created his ideas which took 10(IIRC) years to create this idea and perfect what he wanted done. Nolan has been snubbed for years, and this year wasn't any different. Inception has 8 noms, yes, but it got snubbed in the MAIN ones.

Also, which of the other movies did you see for the Leading Actor roles? You saw Biutiful?

And damn at TSN... it was a GREAT film, yes. Writing was superb (should have that award locked), acting was milked out of most if not all of its cast (Timberlake, Eisenberg, Garfield, the twin dude, etc) all deserve recognition for the superb acting but god DAMN... its getting overrated and it's pissing me off. The only reason Inception isn't getting recognized is cause it's a PLOT movie opposed to a CHARACTER movie like most of the other movies. If you think about it (and if you understood it), Inceptions concept is mind blowing... it's [expletive]ing jaw dropping, rendering re-watches to fully understand the movie. Creativity, originality... I guess those are two things the Academy doesn't give a [expletive] about.

Instead, a biopic (yes, I understand the argument of "It's not just a facebook movie, but at the end of the day, it is... it's entirely JUST ABOUT [expletive]ING FACEBOOK, SO QUIT SAYING IT ISN'T) and a remake is all it takes to get Oscar noms. Both of Leo's performances deserved recognition (And this is coming from a previous hater, I'm still not a "fan")

Also, am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the music for TSN gets so much recognition when in reality it's a few piano keys? (Maybe it's cause I used to play piano but I thought it was pretty obvious, and I'm sure there are musical minds voting for this bull[expletive]... actually, there aren't, lmaos.)

But anyways... in a age where technology has taken over, (CGI, 3D, etc for the movie industry) not using those to enhance the movie but being able to create such a visually pleasing work of art is [expletive]ing mind blowing in itself. It's a shame Nolan isn't getting the respect he deserves. Him and Leo... biggest snubs... and will continue to be snubbed unless they bend over or something.

On a side note, back to the FB comment. I'm assuming most of the mainstream public went to see TSN because it was about FB in the first place... cause everyone these days is addicted to FB and its the fad these days. If it were a MySpace movie it wouldn't be great... since MySpace is dead, but if a MySpace movie was made back in the day (assuming we actually have a story) then it would have grabbed just as much attention from the public.

/end rant. Wanted to get [expletive] this [expletive] off my chest.

• Like 1

Lol? I hope you realize when it all boils down... Nolan was involved with all of it. Script, scenery, direction... it was all him. So yes, he did indeed deserve a [expletive]ing nomination at the very least.

And he was nominated in screen play (which he will win because it's incredible script) and he was also nominated as a producer in the best picture, so he's getting due credit in both of those nominations

All-star cast? Who are these so-called "all-stars"? Up-and-coming actors/actress is more like it... no where are they close to "all-star" caliber outside of Leo.

JGL, Tom Hardy, and Ellen Page are all up-and-coming. Hell, most people would view JGL as the kid from childhood movies/tv show (3rd Rock) and Page as Juno...

Caine, Wattanabe, Cillian Murphy were all minor roles and the lather are PROBABLY known for their roles in Nolan's Batman movies.

I wouldn't consider this "All-star" at all. The Departed, Gangs of New York, and Catch Me if You Can (And this is only listing movies featuring Leo) are/should be considered all-star casts... A few years from now, would I consider this cast all-star worthy? Maybe. But not right now...

I'm sorry when just about 5 actors/actresses in the movie have leading roles in their own great movies, I consider it an all star cast. Not to mention the others chosen were solid actors in their own right. JGL isn't even one of the biggest actors in the movie, certainly role wise but still he's a good actor, not as established as other. Page has now had a few movies where she has shown she can make a great movie in a leading role, and she was excellent in Juno, I don't see how her being Juno is a knock. Caine - Second Hand Lions, Cillian Murphy - 28 days later, Wattanabe - The last Samari, all before the batman movies, all leading roles, all great movies. The Departed probably has one of the deepest casts in recent history, since the days of Goodfellas. Catch Me if You Can is only 'better' because it has older more established actors. I guess we just have different ideas of what an all-star cast is.

Also, I hope you realize the Coen's REMADE a previous movie whereas Nolan created his ideas which took 10(IIRC) years to create this idea and perfect what he wanted done. Nolan has been snubbed for years, and this year wasn't any different. Inception has 8 noms, yes, but it got snubbed in the MAIN ones.
Who cares? True Grit was incredible, stop with your Nolan pity party.

Also, which of the other movies did you see for the Leading Actor roles? You saw Biutiful?

No but tbh, Leo's Inception performance was not the best I've seen from him, in minor ways it was incredible, but I can def see how there were better performances.

If you think about it (and if you understood it), Inceptions concept is mind blowing... it's [expletive]ing jaw dropping, rendering re-watches to fully understand the movie. Creativity, originality... I guess those are two things the Academy doesn't give a [expletive] about.
Which is why I believe it will win the screen writing award easily and probably best picture. Inception was my favorite movie of the year and probably one of my favorite movies of all time, check the inception thread if you need proof.

Oh well I'm tired of responding to your rant, I'll agree to disagree with you.

• Like 1

I don't think Leonardo deserves a nominee for Inception and I don't think he deserves one for Shutter Island either. Maybe it's just me but Shutter Island did not live up to expectations, maybe it was to hyped or I had extremely high expectations since it was from Marty. I enjoyed it but it wasn't incredible.

I think Leo has done so much better in the past I am not surprised that he didn't get nominated, I am surprised Nolan didn't get the nod for best Director. I don't think he would win that category but a nomination was well deserved for an innovative story in an era where all we do now is sequels and remakes, Chris came up with originality.

All the best actors deserve the nomination over Leo, the only arguable one is Javier Bardem, again I was hoping Mark Whalberg would get a nom he has been overshadowed by Christian Bales amazing performance which he WILL win for.

Anyway I think Colin Firth pretty much has that award in the bag, but my personal favorite is Jeff Bridges in True Grit. John Wayne won the Oscar for the original it would be great to see Jeff win it here, I don't see that happening though.

As far as lead actress Natalie Portman has been winning all over the place for Black Swan but I would not be surprised to see Annette Bening swoop in and take that Oscar from here.

For all you Leo fans (I am one also) he will get his Oscar soon enough. Leo has a laundry list of movies that he will be working on, and he's basically Marty's new De Niro so at some point Leonardo Dicaprio will win an Oscar it always takes time.

I do agree he deserves a nomination, not to win it but just to have that recognition.

It's debateable. Leo is obviously a star, Ellen Page, Tom Berenger and Ken Watanabe have already been nominated for an Oscar in the past while Marion Cotillard, and Michael Caine have already taken home Oscars. JGL is coming off Golden Globe recognition and is pretty much a trending topic across the country when it comes to movies good timing on picking him up.

It's not a shabby cast at all, may not be the most popular names but the acting is all star stuff IMO.

Coens based this movie off the book while the original was not. Also the Coens were able to do something that is rare now days and that's make a remake that's better than the original, that certainly receives lots of credit I am sure.

I saw it, I was personally shocked Javier got a nomination for it didn't see that coming. I just saw The King's Speech yesterday and I can't see Firth losing.

The rest of the nomination are all well deserved. No one is talking about James Franco's brilliant performance in 127 Hours that category is very strong this year.

• 1 month later...