Is this Steve Nash's best individual season?

The Regime

I found this topic on RealGM, and thought it was pretty interesting.

At the age of 36, Nash is putting up 17.3 points and 11 assists in 32.9 minutes per game. And this is on .532/.417/.918 shooting with a .642 TS%. That's just mind blowing.

For his career Nash has averaged 31.3 minutes per game and has put up 14.7 points and 8.4 assists on .491/.431/.904 shooting. I've never been much of a Steve Nash fan, but I really feel that he deserves to play on a championship contender. Should Phoenix consider trading him to rebuild and to give Nash an opportunity to win?

Lakers - need a PG, but Phoenix does not want to help the Lakers no matter what.

Celtics - already got Rondo

Heat - could use Nash

Magic - already got Gilbert and Jameer

Spurs - Phoenix rival plus they already got Parker

Only championship contender I could see him playing on is the Heat, but the Heat really dont have any trade assets outside of the big 3. Suns should just trade him to LA so he can get a ring. :D

Nah, 06-07 was probably his best individual season. Pretty much identical PPG/APG per 36min, and he had a ridiculous .652 TS%. I think the fact that he was able to put in those extra minutes back in 06-07 does add some value to what he accomplished that season individually.

Should Phoenix consider trading him to rebuild and to give Nash an opportunity to win?

absolutely, but not many clubs need a starting pg. Miami and LA could use his services, but those teams don't have the assets needed to acquire such a talented player. Charlotte and Atlanta are really the only teams that make sense for Nash.

^But you have to consider the talent that Nash worked with in 2006-07. He had a couple young athletic guys in Amare and Marion, who were excellent at finishing around the rim. Amare was putting up 20.4 ppg and was hauling in 9.6 rpg while shooting .575% from the floor. Marion chipped in with 17.5 ppg and 9.8 rpg.

In addition, Nash had a couple sharpshooters at his disposal who helped spread the floor. Barbosa was scoring 18.1 ppg while shooting the three ball at a really high rate (.434%), and Raja Bell who averaged 14.7 ppg who also shooting the three ball with effeciency (.413%).

This team was designed to run the floor and score points in loads, it's no wonder that Nash was able to put up career numbers that season.

As for this season, Nash has worked with little to no talent at all. He lead's the team in scoring, which is pathetic considering the role he has fulfilled his entire career. Vince Carter is supposed to be their number one option but he's only averaging 15.8 ppg while shooting .425% from the field. And then you have the ageless wonder Grant Hill who is their third best player bar none. Outside of that the team is garbage. The Suns have no explosive players, no dead eye three point shooters, and basically no one player who Nash can run a pick and roll, or pick and pop with effectiveness.

The fact that he has been able to nearly match his stats from 2006-07 is just amazing in my opinion. Nash alone is preventing the Suns from sinking. There's a good chance that they would have under 10 wins without the man.

^But you have to consider the talent that Nash worked with in 2006-07. He had a couple young athletic guys in Amare and Marion, who were excellent at finishing around the rim. Amare was putting up 20.4 ppg and was hauling in 9.6 rpg while shooting .575% from the floor. Marion chipped in with 17.5 ppg and 9.8 rpg.

In addition, Nash had a couple sharpshooters at his disposal who helped spread the floor. Barbosa was scoring 18.1 ppg while shooting the three ball at a really high rate (.434%), and Raja Bell who averaged 14.7 ppg who also shooting the three ball with effeciency (.413%).

This team was designed to run the floor and score points in loads, it's no wonder that Nash was able to put up career numbers that season.

As for this season, Nash has worked with little to no talent at all. He lead's the team in scoring, which is pathetic considering the role he has fulfilled his entire career. Vince Carter is supposed to be their number one option but he's only averaging 15.8 ppg while shooting .425% from the field. And then you have the ageless wonder Grant Hill who is their third best player bar none. Outside of that the team is garbage. The Suns have no explosive players, no dead eye three point shooters, and basically no one player who Nash can run a pick and roll, or pick and pop with effectiveness.

The fact that he has been able to nearly match his stats from 2006-07 is just amazing in my opinion. Nash alone is preventing the Suns from sinking. There's a good chance that they would have under 10 wins without the man.

Don't get me wrong, it's insanely impressive, and I do think he's underrated far too often. But, I just think he was a little better back around 05-07, whether you want to go by the eye-test or statistically. And as I said, him not being able to play as many minutes in the past does hurt his value a bit if we are comparing him to when he was able to give you a few more minutes a night.