Will The Basketball God’s Finally Give Jamal Crawford A Break?

BlueDevil

Jamal Crawford is a nine year NBA veteran. In that time he has gone from promising rookie to fringe All-star, bouncing in and out of the starting line-ups of the Bulls, Knicks, and Warriors.

He has had unbelievable success throughout his career, becoming the fourth player in NBA history to have 50 plus points in a game on three different teams.

He was the eighth overall pick in the 2000 draft, and he makes almost ten million dollars a year.

So how could Crawford possibly be cursed? Well, for one thing, he is the longest serving NBA player to NOT make the NBA playoffs.

Yes, the man who has been overlooked every year he’s been in the league has yet to make his post season debut. The main reason he has yet to play in the post season is simple; the man has never played on a good team.

From 2000-2004, he played for the Chicago Bulls. In his first three seasons Crawford was inconsistent and the team was in chaos.

In Crawford’s first season, the Bulls had the worst record in franchise history, 15-67, even with defending rookie of the year Elton Brand leading the way. Crawford played sparingly, playing 17 minutes a game and averaging 4.6 points.

In his sophomore year, 2002, the Bulls traded away their franchise cornerstone and leader, Brand, in favour of the second and fourth picks in the draft, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry. Both came straight out of high school and needed time to develop, and Chicago only won 21 games. Crawford only played in 23 games due to injury, but improved his points per game to 9.3.

In his third season, Crawford again proved his willingness to improve. He played 80 games, starting 31, and averaged 10.7 points per game. Chicago had a new point guard in rookie Jay Williams, as well as Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, Curry, and Chandler, and appeared to be building a team that could one day compete for a title. The Bulls won 30 games that year.

2003-2004, Crawford proved he was a starter in this league. He improved his points per game by nearly seven points, ending with 17.3 per game. He put up statistical bests in every non shooting category, but his team digressed. Williams had a career ending motorcycle accident, while Curry and Chandler struggled to stay healthy. The Bulls ended the season with 23 wins, second worse in the league, leading to the Bulls sign-and-trading Crawford that offseason to the Knicks for expiring contracts.

The next year the Bulls would make the playoffs, and Crawford would be playing for the Knicks.

Crawford hoped his move to New York would mean a chance at the playoffs, as the Knicks had qualified the year before, and had a dynamic and proven point guard in Stephon Marbury. Crawford teamed with Marbury to create a talented backcourt that could score with ease. In his first season, Crawford played in 70 games, starting 67, and averaging 17.7 points per game. The Knicks, however, continued their nosedive into the abyss, compiling a 33-49 record, and missing the playoffs.

With Isiah Thomas as their General Manager, the Knicks became a laughing stock in the NBA. They had a league high $130 million payroll, yet finished with a record of 23-59, again missing the playoffs. Crawfords minutes and points per game took a dive, as did the Knicks. Things looked bad for Crawford and his journey to the post season.

2007-2008, Crawford once again proved he deserved better then the Knicks could offer. While Thomas was busy trading away anyone he could in order to field a worthwhile team, Crawford was putting together his best season as a pro. He started all 80 games he played, and averaged 20.6 points per game. He had a career high 52 on January 26th, but the Knicks had little else to help Crawford, and the team again missed the postseason, compiling a record of 23-59, along with many embarrassing defeats.

Eleven games into his fifth season with the Knicks, and ninth in the league, Crawford was traded to Golden State for Al Harrington. Injuries to their star player, Monta Ellis, as well as chemistry issues with their high profile free agent, Corey Maggette, derailed what could have been a regrouping season for the Warriors in 2008-2009.

Crawford started all 65 games he played, but was in the doghouse with Coach Don Nelson after he refused to play after being benched. Once it was clear that the Warriors were out of playoff contention, Nelson benched Crawford in order to play his younger players. Crawford took exception, and refused to play afterwards. Crawford averaged 19.7 points per game in his one and only season with the Warriors.

In the offseason, Crawford was traded to Atlanta for point guards Acie Law and Speedy Claxton. He will start the 2009-2010 season as either the Hawks sixth man, or possible starting two guard if they decide to go small. Atlanta is a team that has made tremendous strides the past couple of seasons, going from laughing stock of the league to legitimate playoff contenders.

So is this the season the Crawford finally sees post season action? The East has dramatically improved, which could spell disaster for the Hawks and Crawford. Preseason outlooks show the Hawks finishing as a likely sixth to eighth seed, which leaves a lot of uncertainty to Crawford’s bid at the post season.

While we still have to wait to see how the season plays out, it will be interesting to see if the Basketball God’s will be smiling at Crawford’s good fortune, or laughing at his continued futility.

http://www.alldaynba.com/nbageneral/will-the-basketball-gods-finally-give-jamal-crawford-a-break/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/221182-will-the-basketball-gods-finally-give-jamal-crawford-a-break

Unbelievable success? He doesn't seem to really do anything but score. (At a rather low FG% too.) He's an OK player and even if he does taste the playoffs this season the Hawks will likely be swept. Sure it's good to have the experience but reminiscent of Shareef's career it was too little too late.

Unbelievable success? He doesn't seem to really do anything but score. (At a rather low FG% too.) He's an OK player and even if he does taste the playoffs this season the Hawks will likely be swept. Sure it's good to have the experience but reminiscent of Shareef's career it was too little too late.

Yeah, the Hawks will get swept in the first round and lose every game in the playoffs after they advanced to the second round the year before with an injured team....sure.

Great article and great read. The difference about Jamal Crawford and his situation in Atlanta is that he'll be playing the 6th man role. I doubt we would go small and put him at the two due to defense. If we have Bibby and Crawford at the starting backcourt, that could possibly be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. Crawford will play backup minutes at the point and at the two spot.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but why are people already considering we won't be a top 4 seed again? Almost every Hawks fan I know, as well as myself, are projecting the Hawks to be in the same spot as last season. What has Miami done to pass us? What has Philadelphia? Toronto? Washington? Chicago? Detroit?

Great article and great read. The difference about Jamal Crawford and his situation in Atlanta is that he'll be playing the 6th man role. I doubt we would go small and put him at the two due to defense. If we have Bibby and Crawford at the starting backcourt, that could possibly be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. Crawford will play backup minutes at the point and at the two spot.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but why are people already considering we won't be a top 4 seed again? Almost every Hawks fan I know, as well as myself, are projecting the Hawks to be in the same spot as last season. What has Miami done to pass us? What has Philadelphia? Toronto? Washington? Chicago? Detroit?

Ya I wouldnt imagine they would start small, but now they have that option. The Hawks have are a very offensive minded team, and like you said a bibby crawford backcourt would be terribly defensively.

As for the Hawks being a 4 seed, I still dont know who can fill that spot. I dont know why people think the Heat can, they havent gotten anyone to improve their team, and the east is much more competitive. I think itll be between the Hawks, Sixers, and Chicago for that spot. I dont trust Washington and will believe it when I see it that they are as good as they seem on paper.

Toronto is fielding a pretty strong team this season.

Not to say he's a key factor, but Turkoglu is the difference between being a fringe top 8 team and being involved in a race for home court advantage. Turkoglu is also a reliable fourth quarter guy, in a league where it seems we've run out of a lot of them. Plus the addition of Jarret Jack as the back-up point guard means thats the Raptors will always have a good floor general on the floor.

Then, the obvious; Chris Bosh plus Andrea Bargnani. I don't know, I think Toronto has cemented itself into being a team thats going to look to be contending for at the very least, the fourth home court advantage spot. They have the tools around them and they've got guys who play their style of game now.

Outside of the top three, the East is a going to be a giant cluster[expletive] next season. I do think that Atlanta will hold onto that 4th seed, but I can honestly see any of Atlanta, Washington, Toronto, Miami, Philly (if Brand plays like he is capable of and Louis Williams can be a reliable point guard) and Chicago all competing for the 4th seed. It is going to be a wild race for the 4-8 seeds between these teams and you can maybe even throw Detroit into that mix as well (but they would fight for a lower seed like 7-8 at best in my opinion).

I do believe that Atlanta will finish 4th in the East, but it is definitely not a guarntee as all of the teams around them have either gotten better or at the very least, stayed the same.

I love Crawford. He was our only pure scorer, brought some life to the Garden, and was actually clutch. I really liked him and he was just a down to earth, nice dude. Now, hopefully he'll get his chance to be a semi-contender w/ Atl, and make the post-season for once.