Strikeforce: Fedor vs Silva

Another interesting card for Strikeforce

Main card

* Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal bout: Russia Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brazil Antonio Silva[1]

* Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal bout: Belarus Andrei Arlovski vs. Russia Sergei Kharitonov[1]

* Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: United States Shane Del Rosario vs. United States Lavar Johnson[1]

* Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: United States Chad Griggs vs. United States Gianpiero Villante[1]

* Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout: Netherlands Valentijn Overeem vs. New Zealand Ray Sefo[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Fedor_vs._Silva

Wouldn't say interesting as only the main event and co-main event are worth a damn. Even the co-main event isn't anything spectacular as both fighters are past their respective primes (if would've been amazing to see when they were both at the top of their games, though).

None the less, Fedor fighting always makes for an interesting card. It is going to be interesting to see how he bounces back from his first legitimate loss. Part of the reason why he was so dominant for so long was that he has this unbeatable aura around him and no matter what you did to him, he would find a way to win the fight. It was a flash submission and all, but that aura may be gone now.

PS: How ridiculously stupid was the brackets that StrikeForce set up for this tournament? Arguably the 4 best fighters are all on the same side and the winner of this fight will figh the winner of Werdum/Overeem. That should be a FInals matchup. On the bright side, at least we are guaranteed to see a very intriguing matchup in the Semi-Finals. Either Fedor gets his rematch against Werdum or arguably the 2 best Heavyweights in the world will be fighting each other in Fedor/Reem.

As much as I hate to say it, Arlovski needs to retire. He has absolutely no chin at this point in his career (not that having a Rampage-esque chin would've helped him take those bombs from Sergei) and that makes it 4 fights in a row where he has been knocked out cold. He still has the talent to be a top 10 heavyweight, but he just doesn't have the chin to withstand any sort of punch anymore.

He needs to retire before he suffers some sort of permanent damage.

EDIT: Lol at how much size Fedor is giving up in this fight. He is about 5 inches shorter, 34 pounds lighter (probably more considering Silva weighed in at 264. I'd bet he is a lot more than that now) and has a reach of 8.5 less inches than Bigfoot. It just goes to show how insane it is that he is the best heavyweight in MMA history considering he is smaller than a lot of light heavyweights.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Disappointing tbh but Silva deserved it. Fedor is out of his prime now.

He got caught by Werdum, but he was absolutely dominated in this fight.

I don't know if he is out of his prime per say, but he just can't overcome the ridiculous size disadvantage that he faces every night. Like I posted above, it is pretty [expletive]ing hard to beat a guy who is 5 inches taller, about 40-50 pounds heaver and has nearly three quarters of a foot reach advantage. I don't care how good a guy is, those are just ridiculous odds to overcome.

I'm kind of glad that he lost to Silva tonight, though. If he managed to pull something out of his [expletive] in the 3rd round (had there been one) and get a win, I think that Overeem might've legitimately killed the guy when they fought. If Silva was able to dominate him like this, Ubereem would've killed the guy.

Edited by Built Ford Tough