Owner of Canucks hopes to purchase Hornets, move them to Vancouver

Dash

Canucks Sports and Entertainment chairman Francesco Aquilini has been looking for five years a franchise that can be purchased and moved to Vancouver.

Sources say Aquilini is looking into the Hornets, who are currently owned by the NBA.

During an interview this week, commissioner David Stern said Vancouver is one of several markets interested in a relocated NBA franchise.

Stern listed Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Tampa/St. Petersburg as markets with NBA-ready facilities. Vancouver’s Rogers Arena, owned by the Canucks, would qualify as well.

“I have regrets about both Seattle and Vancouver,” Stern said.

The Grizzlies left Vancouver in 2001 after just six seasons.

Aquilini’s interest in an NBA team dates to 2005.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210987/Owner_Of_Canucks_Hoping_To_Purchase_Hornets_Move_Club_To_Vancouver#ixzz1E5jbwUy7

This would be great for the NBA, Vancouver is a great city that definitely deserves another shot at an NBA team.

Vancouver was bad timing. Basketball wasn't at its highest yet here. With Steve Nash and now all the Canadian players in the NCAA, and the ones winning All-Americans.

Basketball is growing so fast here in Canada and there is a huge fan base out there. Plus the fans in Seattle that miss basketball would make the short trip.

• Like 1

I would be angry, making Chris Paul live in Vancouver? Well nvm it would just make him want to go to NY more.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Vancouver is one of the nicest cities in the world. I agree with Doc, if basketball is half as big on the west coast and growing as fast as it is over here, it could be a potential gold mine. Look how [expletive] the Raptors have been the past 16 years, yet they are one of the most economically successful teams in the NBA.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 1

Why does everyone assume that every Canadian city is garbage and small market when its not? Vancouver is a better place to live than a wide majority of the cities that already have teams.

Why does everyone assume that every Canadian city is garbage and small market when its not? Vancouver is a better place to live than a wide majority of the cities that already have teams.

I like the diversity of the people in Vancouver, really nice place.