Morey breaks down on Rockets' trade deadline possibilities

Dash

Trades

As you can imagine, Daryl fielded several questions about potential deals, with the February 24th trade deadline just one week away.

“We’re going to try to make a trade to get somebody at a high-level, or someone who can develop into a high-level, or even trade for a pick that has a chance to be very high,” said Morey. “Any of those three. All are hard paths. All have low probability of working, but our job is really to go for the best path with the best chance among a bunch of really hard options.”

I then asked Daryl if he was confident he could make a deal beneficial for the Rockets right now, or if this was more of a situation where things will “open up” at the deadline.

“I think last year if you had asked me who you’ll trade for and list the chances, Kevin Martin would have been near the bottom,” said Morey. “Didn’t have any sense he might be available. It’s really hard to predict right now. We have a lot of discussions going that could turn out positive, but it’s very hard to predict.”

Morey added that the Rockets are thinking long-term in their conversations about trades.

“The priority for our deals is definitely how does the player we get fit into a potential championship caliber team,” said Morey. “This year is not a big factor in our deals. That doesn’t mean we’ve — it’s just second priority. It’s much less priority than how do these players fit into a winning plan going forward.”

From the sounds of this interview Morey seems to swaying toward a rebuilding stage. Its good to hear that Morey is looking at all his options but it seems that this season may likely be a lost cause unless something changes during the break.