Official 2009 Boston Red Sox Thread

EastCoastNiner

Jonathan Papelbon sucks.

The Boston Red Sox had a 7-4 lead at the start of the top of the 9th inning tonight, and my friend and I both said, "Watch, he is going to blow this game, and I hope he lets up 3 runs so we can win it in the bottom of the 9th", and he did what we said he would.

He blew the 3 run lead, and the Boston Red Sox lost in the 11th inning.

I would include him in a deal to the Toronto Blue Jays if they want him because Daniel Bard is going to be the best closer in the MLB soon.

Also, Jason Bay has sucked, and he didn't have an RBI for 12 games until last night, and he only has 4 or 5 RBI's in July.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

A few things:

1) How did J-Bay's average tank that badly? At one point, I saw it hovering around .280, and then a few weeks later, I look and see that it's at about .250.

2) Is David Ortiz hitting the way Boston needs him to or is he just hitting for power at times?

3) Was today just a bad night for Nick Green at SS or is he not that good of a fielding SS?

Also, that is a tough loss. Three run lead to start the ninth, Boston lets the runner move to second on defensive indifference, one out away with an unimportant runner on third, two errors, and the lead is gone. Then Boston was so close to tying it in the eleventh but couldn't.

A few things:

1) How did J-Bay's average tank that badly? At one point, I saw it hovering around .280, and then a few weeks later, I look and see that it's at about .250.

2) Is David Ortiz hitting the way Boston needs him to or is he just hitting for power at times?

3) Was today just a bad night for Nick Green at SS or is he not that good of a fielding SS?

Also, that is a tough loss. Three run lead to start the ninth, Boston lets the runner move to second on defensive indifference, one out away with an unimportant runner on third, two errors, and the lead is gone. Then Boston was so close to tying it in the eleventh but couldn't.

1. Jason Bay started the season off red hot, and has just gotten worse as the seasons has gone on, and has struck out wayyyy too much.

Not to mention that he only has 4 RBI's this month, and he didn't have one for 12 games until last night.

2. The start of the season has really hurt his batting average, but he has been doing well the past month, batting .300+ I believe, and getting his power back, but he needs to do more.

3. Nick Green is not a good fielder, but has a hose as a cannon, but I'd take him over Jed Lowrie any day right now.

If Johnatan Papelbon didn't let up some hits and could have actually fielded one of the ground balls, it would have been game over, but he is just terrible right now for how good he has been in recent years.

Daniel Bard is the real deal, and will be the best closer in the MLB soon.

I wonder how Francona's going to use Martinez when Varitek is healthy. If you put him at catcher, you're benching the captain. If you put him at first base, you can't bench Youkilis, so you have to move Youk over to third base. That means you'd have to bench Lowell, who's a .290 hitter.

It'll be interesting, Francona usually finds ways to take care of problems.

I wonder how Francona's going to use Martinez when Varitek is healthy. If you put him at catcher, you're benching the captain. If you put him at first base, you can't bench Youkilis, so you have to move Youk over to third base. That means you'd have to bench Lowell, who's a .290 hitter.

It'll be interesting, Francona usually finds ways to take care of problems.

He's not taking out Kevin Youkilis, the same play that finished 3rd in the AL MVP voting last year, and is starting to get back on track.

Jason Varitek is going to be affected the most, and will lose the most playing time.

Ughhhhh!!!!!

This team needs to get it together and start hitting the [expletive]ing baseball.

Nothing is going right, at all.

I thought that the line-up would be awesome at the beginning of the year, and it still has a chance to be very good, but there are some MAJOR weaknesses.

1. Jacoby Ellsbury- Good

2. Dustin Pedroia- Good

3. Victor Martinez- Good

4. Kevin Youklilis- Good, but can be streaky

5. Jason Bay- He hasn't done [expletive] in well over a month.

6. J.D. Drew- [expletive]ty average, and hasn't done [expletive], and he needs to step up because this team needs him to.

7. Mike Lowell- Good, and having a better season than I thought he was, but injuries are hurting him.

8. Nick Green/Lowrie- Nick Green sucks at fielding and hasn't done well this season, and Jed Lowrie makes me want to cry when he is at the plate.

9. Jason Varitek- Would that be the first, second, or third out of the inning that he recorded? He has just sucked the past few seasons.

10. David Ortiz- He sucks dick right now, and it's actually been this way since last season.

Pitcing:

Josh Beckett- Excellent.

Jon Lester- Excellent.

Brady Penny- I don't know what to expect from him.

Clay Bucholtz- He has potential, but he needs to throw strikes, and not be my least favorite player of "All-Time", which he was last season.

Tim Wakefield- He needs to come back NOW!

Dice-K- He can make a MAJOR impact, and he can help get this team going!!!

Bullpen-

Jonathan Papelbon- He has been better lately, but I still don't trust him completely.

Daniel Bard- He has struggled lately after being DOMINANT!

Rest of the bullpen- Has been very good.

So, this team needs to get Tim Wakefield and Dice-K back, but more importantly, needs to start HITTING THE [expletive]ING BASEBALL!!!!!!!

JOE MAUER IN 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADRIAN GONZALEZ IN 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good-bye David Ortiz, J.D. Drew, and Jason Varitek, and welcome lots of spending money.......after re-signing Josh Beckett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, this team can still make the playoffs, but needs to turn it around now!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it looks like Boston is about back on track. Bay and Ortiz both homered last night and Boston's offense didn't seem to have much trouble of Halladay.

I believe I heard Ellsbury is one steal away from tying the franchise single season record.