Draft Express Article on Perry Jones

Built Ford Tough

Deemed by many scouts as the prospect with the highest upside of any player in college basketball, Perry Jones of Baylor has had an up and down freshman season that appears to be taking a turn for the better at the moment.

Jones was extremely deferential early in the season, looking somewhat lost or apathetic at times, but he has been more assertive in Big 12 play, scoring 19 points or more in six of nine in-conference games thus far. While some of that has to do with Jones' increasing comfort level and individual aggressiveness, it also has plenty to do with how he's being utilized by his coaching staff and teammates.

Even though he's one of the most efficient players in college basketball, shooting nearly 60% inside the arc, Jones is still not getting as many touches as he probably should. Baylor's guards (specifically LaceDarius Dunn) have exhibited poor shot selection all season long, and the team ranks as one of the most turnover prone in college basketball.

Amongst the college players currently in our Top 100 Prospect Rankings, Jones rates towards the bottom of the list in field goal attempts per minute. This is a situation not all that unlike Derrick Favors' at Georgia Tech last season.

When not being ignored by teammates, it's easy to see what makes Jones such a tantalizing prospect, as you can see in the first two minutes of the following video we created:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Perry-Jones-3630/

A lot more at the link, including the video that is mentioned in the last sentence, which I think is worth the 6 minutes. It isn't just a highlight package like you see on Youtube but instead it actually features game footage.

All in all, this is a great read from John Givony, who is one of the best draft guys around. I would much rather read what he writes than somebody like Jay Bilas or Chad Ford (no offense to either one of them).

People talk about him being a small forward and all, but I just don't see it. I don't claim to be an expert or anything on him as I have only seen about 4 Baylor games this season, and they were at the beginning of the year when he was being underutilized, but I definitely see him more as a face up 4 who operates in the high post, much like Chris Bosh, although Jones looks to have more potential as a passer and ball hander while not possessing the jumper that Bosh has. Obviously he can develop more of a perimeter game as he is still young, but I defintiely see him as a high post 4 more than a 3, althoujgh he looks like he has the ability to play the 3 at times.

Anyways, I will just end my post here as I don't want to post a bunch of nonsense. I'll just reccomend taking a read and watching the video posted in the link because they are both excellent and provide a lot of information on Jones.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

He's an intriguing specieman indeed and he has way better ball handling than what I thought. My problem with Jones though is what position he will play in the NBA. He has the body of a PF but plays like a SF and he really needs to work on his defense and get more consistency on his shoots.

Edited by htownborn