If Duncan is considered a center...

AboveLegit

For the most part, we all agree that Duncan is the greatest PF in history, but I see some debate from time to time about whether he is a power forward or center. It seems like he has actually played more minutes at C than PF...

I personally think he is and always will be known as a PF, but if he truly is considered a center, where does he rank in history?

TOP C's (not in order):

Russell

Kareem

Shaq

Wilt

Hakeem

Moses Malone

Robinson

Parish

• Owner

Hmm...never thought about that. Duncan has played a LOT of center since his last championship, especially in the last two seasons (probably 90% of the time, or more).

In fact, rewind back to 2005-06. I know Nazr Mohammed was starting games for the Spurs, and there's no way Pop would start Nazr at the four. Same with Rasho the year before. I'm sure Tim was at the PF position most of the year back then.

Oberto was playing PF for them when they faced Cleveland in the Finals. I forgot who the center was at the time. If it was Elson, he was playing limited minutes. Duncan probably split time between the two positions that season.

Anyway...at the center position, he's below Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and Russell. Argue Hakeem, because much like Duncan, Hakeem was almost flawless on both ends of the court, and he put up better numbers.

Top five center of all-time (probably 5th best).

• Like 1

Duncan for the main stay of his career has been used at the four. I think when you debate criteria he's certainly up there with the Karl Malone's, Charles Barkley's and others. He may very well be the best all time. As far as centers, he doesn't hit the top 5. He may be close to the top 12-15. Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Jabbar, O'neal, Chamberlain, Russell all filter in right there or above. (That list was in no particular order).

Well first of all the four best centers of All Time are IMO Wilt, Russell, Jabbar and Shaq. Because no other center ever dominated the game as much as those four did. A case can be made for each of them for best center ever. Now it's true that Bill's offensive game was not as good as the other three but his fantastic defense and leadership (arguably greatest ever in both categories) definitely make up for it.

For the second tier I'd pick Olajuwon, Ewing and Moses Malone. Robinson was very talented as well but his lack of leadership and the fact that he was invisible in money time, especially in the playoffs (ask Rodman about it), hurt him a lot, that's why he wasn't as good as the other three and that I would definitely not put him in the second tier. And I'd like to say a few words about Ewing here cause I know it might surprise some people that I put him in the second tier but it's important to understand that, even if I do believe myself that Olajuwon was a better center, it wasn't that clear that Hakeem was THAT better in the 90's. I know that in most people mind he was by far better but it's far from true. People usually think that because of Hakeem's rings. Now I believe that Hakeem was better, that's true, all I'm saying is that he was not CLEARLY better, Ewing was right behind him. As a matter of fact Wilt Chamberlain himself even said that for him Ewing was the best center of the 90's. I disagree with that (despite the fact that I'm a Knicks fan) but it still means something. Anyway Ewing was definitely better than Robinson. Because of his leadership. Ewing showed many times during his career how terrific a leader he was. He's the first reason why the Bulls surprisingly (that's right it was a big surprise at the time) had to play seven games against New York in 92 for example. He was fantastic in this series, especiallly in game 1 (or 2, I don't exactly remember) when he hit several clutch shots (even long distance shots) to make New York win in Chicago. Or we could mention the 94 Bulls-Knicks series or the same year Knicks-Pacers when he made us win a game thanks to a clutch lay up. And there's important thing to consider, it's that Ewing had all that success despite the fact that he never had a true second option in his team (I loved Starks and Oak - Starks is even my fav player with Ewing - but they were rather third options). He led the 94 Knicks in the Finals despite the fact that they had no great SF for example, Charles Smith even had to start as SF and he was rather a PF-C. In fact the only time Pat had a great second option was when Spree arrived in the team and at that time Ewing was getting out of his prime and was clearly not the same player.

For the third tier of my top ten list I'd say that it's between Mikan (the first true dominant superstar, even if it was in the very beginning of the game, at the time when the Lakers played in the Madison the announcement for the game was "Mikan vs Knicks", that says it all...), Robinson, Parish, Reed, Cowens, Petit, or Unseld. It's very hard, and I would even say impossible to make a 100% accurate list to the different eras and stuff anyhow.

Now back to Duncan, well I'd say that he can definitely be considered as center. He can play at both positions anyhow, center and PF. I think that in some cases it's just impossible to say that a player had one particular position, like for West and Oscar for example they definitely can be considered as PG and SG. And so could be mentioned in both positions' top tens. Duncan has played C and PF as efficiently so he can definitely be mentioned in both top ten centers of All Time and top ten Centers of All Time. Besides since Robinson's retirement, Duncan has been the main center of the team. During the Horry days Duncan ended the game as center. Horry was the main PF of the team. Then it was Dice and now Blair.

So to answer the thread's question I would put Duncan in the second tier, with Hakeem, Ewing and Moses Malone.

By the way I would like to say a few words about the best PFs of All Time as well, for me it's not that clear that Duncan is the best PF ever. I mean I agree that a strong case can be made for him but honestly he's not better in my eyes than Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. The reason why so many people think that he is clearly the best PF ever is because of his rings. But honestly had Duncan played in the 90's would Duncan have won so many rings ? I honestly doubt it a lot... While teams like the Barkley's Suns or Malone's Jazz (especially at the end of the 90's) would have definitely won a ring in this past decade IMO. Duncan's Spurs never had to play against the Jordan's Bulls (except in his rookie season). So for me a case can be made for Duncan, Malone and Barkley for best PF of All Time, there is no clear leader among the three.