Playoffs: best matchup for the Rockets?

Dash

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd like to take this time to say that I'm officially on the playoff bandwagon for the Rockets mainly for two reasons. 1) Aaron freaking Brooks is gone and we're already a better team without him despite losing Battier too. 2) this draft continues to get worse and the Rockets have already blown their chances at a decent pick, and with the Thabeet/Dragic moves I'd say we're young enough and might as well shoot for the playoffs.

Anyways here is how the Rockets have performed against their possible matchups.

San Antonio Spurs

Game 1: 124-121 OT

Where: away

Result: lost

Game 2: 108-95

0-2 but not all that bad, we'll have to see how the Rockets perform with their new lineup at home.

Dallas Mavericks

Game 1: 101-91

Game 2: 111-106

Game 3: 106-102

Where: home

No wins here but the games were fairly close and there is still one more to come at home.

Los Angeles Lakers

Game 1: 112-110 (with Yao)

Game 2: 109-99

Result: win

Game 3: 114-106

A win? Finally, the season series was VERY close and based on the box scores the Lakers are our best bet but do we really want to face the 2 time defending champions in the playoffs?

Oklahoma City Thunder (very unlikely this happens but there is a small possibility)

Game 1: 116-99

Game 2: 99-98

Result: win

Game 3: 117-105

Game 4: 118-112

Yikes this series might have been just as bad as the Mavs and this is without Perkins.

-----

Overall we're 2-10 against these teams, not very encouraging but I do think we could give each of them a run for their money with our recent play and new lineup. Honestly though I'm just hoping for a tough 6 game series and some hope for next season. Anyways thoughts on who would be the Rockets best possible matchup assuming we make it?

Edited by Dash

This is an encouraging thread but the Rockets still have a mountain to climb just to get in. ;)

I don't think any of them are good match ups lol but I really wouldn't want to see the Mavs or Thunder. I would rather see the Spurs or Lakers. Rockets seem to always play the Lakers tight and I think it could be another competitive series between those two, the Spurs would be hard with a healthy Parker back but might be able to extend those to 6 or even 7.

This is being overly optimistic though lol just glad they are playing well, glad they didn't tank, and glad they are doing whatever they can to make the playoffs I think that's what it's all about in the NBA.

This is an encouraging thread but the Rockets still have a mountain to climb just to get in. ;)

I don't think any of them are good match ups lol but I really wouldn't want to see the Mavs or Thunder. I would rather see the Spurs or Lakers. Rockets seem to always play the Lakers tight and I think it could be another competitive series between those two, the Spurs would be hard with a healthy Parker back but might be able to extend those to 6 or even 7.

This is being overly optimistic though lol just glad they are playing well, glad they didn't tank, and glad they are doing whatever they can to make the playoffs I think that's what it's all about in the NBA.

Spurs maybe but the Lakers? You crazy or just delusional?

No matter how close the Rockets can keep it there size will win out 10 out of 10 times in a 7 game series.

My vote is for the Thunder. They play the Thunder very well at home. They are a young team so who knows if they play to their full potential.

Naw I don't like the Thunder matchup at all now with Perkins as well. But like I said to think the Rockets have a shot against any of these teams in the playoffs equates to the same thing regardless lol.

Just getting in will be the accomplishment by itself.

Naw I don't like the Thunder matchup at all now with Perkins as well. But like I said to think the Rockets have a shot against any of these teams in the playoffs equates to the same thing regardless lol.

Just getting in will be the accomplishment by itself.

Yea getting in would be a great accomplishment on its own but thats not what this thread is about.

Its true that there chances would be low but Thunder is still a question mark. We did the same thing to the Lakers w/o Yao so I dont know if you can really base anything off that series. Perkins is a good low post defender but I dont think he would be a difference maker in a series against Houston. They got him to deal with players like Bynum, Howard, and Duncan.

Its going to be tough and although we aren't exactly in the playoffs right now, we aren't far behind and the 8th and 7th seeds are currently tied and there is only one game separating them from the 6th spot. Without Carmelo I expect Denver to drop from 5th as well so the Rockets definitely have plenty to be optimistic about right now. Its going to take at least 14-6 to get in but thankfully the schedule strength we have right now is average at best, so if the Rockets beat the teams they are supposed to beat (like the Clippers tonight) then there is a very good chance they get in. In a perfect world the Rockets get in along with the Grizzlies and Suns (we own their lottery protected picks), doubt all 3 get in but I'm hopeful.

Anyways I agree completely with your preferred matchups. Having to deal with athletic stars in Westbrook and Durant + an elite post defender would be a nightmare for our Rockets. Mavericks have always had our number, never feel comfortable heading into a game with them and while Hayes is a superb defender, he can't defend Dirk outside on the perimeter.

The Lakers' size is frightening but their play this season and Bynum's health makes me more comfortable going up against them than the Thunder or Mavericks. They're tied with the Spurs as my #1, going to wait and see how we do against them in the next two games before I decide on my preferred match-up.

ESPN gives us a 41% chance of making the playoffs and projects that we finish with 43 wins and have a 3 way tie with the Blazers and Suns for the 8th seed, which Houston loses. Just thought that might be interesting.

Edited by Dash
  • Like 1

Ya that's a good point, I was listening to the radio all day today driving around and every host was saying the same thing to all these callers going a bit over the top with the winning streak lol "stay realistic" I think fans have been waiting all season for signs of consistent life and now they have finally got a taste of it, I hope they keep it up.

Ya that's a good point, I was listening to the radio all day today driving around and every host was saying the same thing to all these callers going a bit over the top with the winning streak lol "stay realistic" I think fans have been waiting all season for signs of consistent life and now they have finally got a taste of it, I hope they keep it up.

Exactly but the All-Star break has proven to be many times in the past as a shot in the arm for the Rockets. Somehow, someway, Houston decides step it up and make some good runs for the playoffs. Regardless I believe there was a strong push by Houston earlier in the season and I don't think I was all that excited back then, the way the Rockets have been playing this past week has been better than they were at any other point in the season. Anyways that is partly why I'm so optimistic right now but I have considered missing the playoffs as a definite possibility, but lets hope it doesn't come to that. If it does then the Rockets sacrificed a decent lottery pick for a late one in a weak draft.

They are the defending champs. I honestly dont get why you two think the Lakers would be a good matchup. Who cares how they play in the regular season. They need to save their energy for the playoffs.

I think I mentioned that somewhere in my post.

Match-ups are all about well...match-ups. Houston has proven many times in the past that they can tough it out with the Lakers unlike the Thunder or Mavericks. See my post above for this.

Think of it this way: if the Rockets are struggling against the Mavs and Thunder right now, how do you think they will do in a playoff series? I highly doubt it will get easier. However, Houston has performed moderately well against the Spurs and Lakers and while both are going to be much tougher in the playoffs, I think I would rather take my chances with them instead of a team that we don't match-up well with at all.

• Like 1

Match-ups are all about well...match-ups. Houston has proven many times in the past that they can tough it out with the Lakers unlike the Thunder or Mavericks. See my post above for this.

Think of it this way: if the Rockets are struggling against the Mavs and Thunder right now, how do you think they will do in a playoff series? I highly doubt it will get easier. However, Houston has performed moderately well against the Spurs and Lakers and while both are going to be much tougher in the playoffs, I think I would rather take my chances with them instead of a team that we don't match-up well with at all.

That sums it up for me +1

I think I mentioned that somewhere in my post.

They are the defending champs. It doesnt matter if the Rockets match up better with them. When you have an elite team, you find a way to win. I agree with the Mavs and Thunder not being great individual matchups but there are a million cases where the matchups doesnt matter. It takes experience and skills to win a playoffs series. Thunder is still a wildcard when it comes to succeeding in the playoffs.

Put this where non-Rockets fans have a say and most if not all would say the have less chance of beating the Lakers than the Thunder.

Edited by DaFranchise03

If the Rockets dont have any chance of getting out of the first round why do you care so much that they get in. I rather see Thabeet, Patterson, and T-Will get minutes then for the team to try so hard just to get in.

Making the playoffs is always good, an extra 4+ games.

Plus I dont care about making the lottery because Morey always picks a good pick regardless of position.

Plus I dont care about making the lottery because Morey always picks a good pick regardless of position.

i agree its not as important as maybe... developing the young players like i said. Why is Twill even on the team? They used this years pick on Patterson and his minutes vary every dam game. They need to let him learn from his mistakes and not just play him when he is playing good. If thabeet is really that raw than i can understand. Why didnt they play C-Bud more earlier. I admit i am a Battier fan but if they knew this would try to trade him why was he playing heavy minutes.

I would rather face Spurs than Lakers, Mavericks, Thunder

Spurs don't have a ton of size and we can put Chuck Hayes on Timmy D.

Good point but the thing that scares me the most about the Spurs is that you can shut down one of their big 3, and it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Spurs got crazy talent and depth on their roster, anyone on their roster is capable exploding for 20 or more points on a given night. Not to they are a terrific defensive unit with Popovich at the helm.

I can see the argument against the Lakers too considering they got Kobe, Pau and a sheer size advantage. Pick your poison Rockets but I hope the poison they end with is the Spurs/Lakers.

If the Rockets dont have any chance of getting out of the first round why do you care so much that they get in. I rather see Thabeet, Patterson, and T-Will get minutes then for the team to try so hard just to get in.

Adelman is loyal to the players that have already been on the roster for a while. He wouldn't sit them even if it were a rebuilding season.

True enough, Morey makes terrific draft picks at the position he is picking at but that doesn't mean he can't get better prospects. e.g. I would rather have Greg Monroe on the Rockets than Patrick Patterson although both guys are great, but Monroe is definitely the better player and prospect and could have been obtainable had the Rockets tanked last season.

i agree its not as important as maybe... developing the young players like i said. Why is Twill even on the team? They used this years pick on Patterson and his minutes vary every dam game. They need to let him learn from his mistakes and not just play him when he is playing good. If thabeet is really that raw than i can understand. Why didnt they play C-Bud more earlier. I admit i am a Battier fan but if they knew this would try to trade him why was he playing heavy minutes.

Did you see Bud play earlier in the season? Dude was awful. Patterson's minutes have been a bit inconsistent but I'm satisfied with what he is getting right now.

Battier was starting because he was better equipped to get us in the playoffs. No one knew this season would be as bad as its been and like I already posted, Adelman does not like playing guys that he's not familiar with and/or are too young. He is ALWAYS looking to win games and get us into the playoffs.