Chris Paul and the Hornets

http://i54.tinypic.com/i5yfjc.jpg

Since the beginning of February the Hornets have been on a downward spiral and have dropped 10 of their last 14 games. They're currently the 7th seed but are in danger of dropping out of the playoff picture.

In that span Chris Paul has shot 61-153 from the floor (.400%) 9-33 from three (.270%) and has averaged roughly 13 points per game, 9 assists per game, 1.79 steals per game, and 2.36 turnovers per game.

Those to me don't look like "best pg in the league (as many of you claim)" type of numbers. I've said it for a while now and I'll say it again, but Chris Paul is probably the third, maybe fourth, best pg in the league. For some reason he just hasn't been the same since he messed his knee up a little over a year ago. At this point in the season I'm starting to wonder whether he has his head straight and is really focused on winning games with the Hornets.

Thoughts?

Edited by Confidence

He's doing everything he can to get his team to win games but the supporting cast around him isn't helping much. Stats don't tell the whole story, yes the team is collapsing but that doesn't mean its entirely on him. Take Deron Williams for example, the 16 assists he's averaging as a Net are spectacular but he's also scoring 14 ppg on 33% and has yet to get a win in New Jersey.

He's doing everything he can to get his team to win games but the supporting cast around him isn't helping much. Stats don't tell the whole story, yes the team is collapsing but that doesn't mean its entirely on him. Take Deron Williams for example, the 16 assists he's averaging as a Net are spectacular but he's also scoring 14 ppg on 33% and has yet to get a win in New Jersey.

The Hornets are a far more talented team, and unlike Chris Paul, Deron Williams is in a new system so it's going to take him some time to get accustomed and develop some chemistry with the new guys. You cant judge him just based on 3-4 games.

Edited by Confidence

The Hornets are a far more talented team, and unlike Chris Paul, Deron Williams is in a new system so it's going to take him some time to get accustomed and develop some chemistry with the new guys. You cant judge him just based on 3-4 games.

I realize that, I was just making an example.

Paul does have a more talented team but he also plays in a more competitive conference. Anyways Chris Paul is in a funk right now and his teammates have failed to help take some of the load off of him. Having the best defensive team in the league is nice and all but when you don't have a closer besides Paul, who hasn't been himself lately, then you're going to be in some deep shit.

I don't know if its fair to blame the injury from last season, he was terrific earlier in the season and the Hornets were winning games and sitting atop of the conference. Seems too convenient to use that injury excuse for him but for all I know the injury has gotten worse over the course of the season, so whatever.

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the world regardless. Saying he's 3rd or 4th because of a one month stretch is blasphemy.

You do realize that he is coming off of major knee surgery that is supposed to take 2 years to full recover from, right? Kevin Garnett had the same surgery (or similar, not exactly sure) and everybody was saying last year that he was done and is a shell of his former self, yet this year he is just as good as he was when he first joined the Celtics.

He doesn't have the same quickness or explosiveness that he had prior to the surgery. It doesn't help that we are nearly 60 games into the season and players are always banged up at this time of the year. He may not be as quick and explosve as he was pre-surgery, but he is clearly not playing at 100% right now.

If he is still playing like this next season then it maybe time to start worrying about him, but I'll give him a pass on this season considering the expected recovery time of the surgery that he had last year. I made the mistake in writing off Kevin Garnett last season and I'll not do the same thing to Paul.

EDIT: I can understand if somebody is trying to say that he seems to have quit on the Hornets, though. His body language was absolutely awful against the Raptors and by the sounds of it, it wasn't any better against the Knicks when Toney Douglas lit him up like Calderon did. I think the injury is affecting his ability to play right now, but he doesn't seem to be all that motivated to play in New Orleans anymore, either.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

CP3 has been indeed struggling lately; David West apparently ripped into him recently and below are a few qoutes following the Knicks loss. It seems to definately be the knee though I believe like the above poster stated give him till next year to really see if there is a problem.

Monty on CP: "He's struggled with his shot and not being aggressive enough... He just needs to be more aggressive and he'll snap out of it."

CP: "My knee feels better than it has in a while. I feel like I can go by any point guard, which I could not do before."