Official Rockets low lottery pick/8th playoff seed anticipation thread

Dash

Here we go Rockets fans, the end of the regular season is only a couple of weeks away. With the big win tonight over the Celtics, the Rockets are now only 1.5 games back of the Memphis Grizzlies for the 8th seed. With our upcoming schedule, what do you think are chances are of catching up to them? If we do make the playoffs, we would likely end up facing the Spurs as the Blazers and Hornets are too far ahead of us to catch. Do you think Houston could give the Spurs a run for their money?

If the Rockets somehow do miss the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row, we will likely be picking either 13th or 14th again this season. Who would like Morey to pick up there? We could easily move up a couple slots by packaging our lottery pick along with the Magic's.

If we dont make the playoffs I know we are going to move up for a better pick.

On the chance of us making the playoffs I think it is good, we are arguably playing the best ball of the year and it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Sun 20 vs Utah

Wed 23 vs Golden State

Sun 27 @ Miami

Tue 29 @ New Jersey

Wed 30 @ Philadelphia

Fri 01 vs San Antonio

Sun 03 vs Atlanta

Tue 05 vs Sacramento

Wed 06 @ New Orleans

Sat 09 vs LA Clippers

Mon 11 vs Dallas

Wed 13 @ Minnesota

It is an average schedule with quite a few games being easily winnable and a few being very tough. Our next game against Utah is very much a must win as it can be twice as good or twice as bad for us. I think at most we can only lose 3 of our remaining games any more than that I think it will be over for us, we cant afford to lose games that we really should win.

Sun 20 vs Utah

Wed 23 vs Golden State

Sun 27 @ Miami

Tue 29 @ New Jersey

Wed 30 @ Philadelphia

Fri 01 vs San Antonio

Sun 03 vs Atlanta

Tue 05 vs Sacramento

Wed 06 @ New Orleans

Sat 09 vs LA Clippers

Mon 11 vs Dallas

Wed 13 @ Minnesota

Red = teams with better records

We're going to need around 45 games to get in, meaning we need to win 9 of our games. We have 7 games we should win and we're going to need to pull out at least 2 upsets, going to be tough but we can do it with our recent play.

It's a very exciting time right now to be a Rockets fan. After a trade that shipped out the reigning MIP, and a defensive captain you would have thought the season was going to get sketchy fast, but instead the emergence of Kyle Lowry and co. have turned this season into an enthusiastic one.

This team was so inconsistent all year battling various issues, and now the Rockets are that team that have nothing to lose, just go out play hard and try to grab that eighth seed.

I really hope they make it. I do think the Rockets can make life tough for the Spurs, I don't think they can beat them in a 7 game series, but could they make it competitive most definitely. This team scores in bunches and when they give at least a decent effort on D they will stay in just about every game.

Two guys that I have been shocked with are Kyle Lowry, and Chuck Hayes. Honestly these guys were really not offensive threats, Lowry struggled to score earlier in the season and well Chuck we all know is the defensive beast. Now you cant slouch on these guys, Kyle is scorching from all over the court, and Chuck sneaks in and gets his points, not to mention he's improved tremendously on his free throw shooting. You add these two into the mix of Kevin Martin, Bud, and Scola and it turns out to be a very competitive team who can strike fast.

If the Rockets move the ball and play confident through Adelmans offense then yes I think they can make life a bit tough for the Spurs, I really hope it happens.

• Like 1

Two guys that I have been shocked with are Kyle Lowry, and Chuck Hayes. Honestly these guys were really not offensive threats, Lowry struggled to score earlier in the season and well Chuck we all know is the defensive beast. Now you cant slouch on these guys, Kyle is scorching from all over the court, and Chuck sneaks in and gets his points, not to mention he's improved tremendously on his free throw shooting. You add these two into the mix of Kevin Martin, Bud, and Scola and it turns out to be a very competitive team who can strike fast.

Could not agree with you more, Lowery and Hayes have really improved throughout this season.

Hayes has decided to to actually try to score, his unexpected drives to basket take players off guard and result in freethrows or points for us what seems like every night.

The biggest improvement I have seen from Lowery is his confidence overall. Early on in the season he was taking shots when we needed them but you could tell they were a bit forced and unsure in a way. Now when he shoots you can see the confidence he has just from his fallow through. Thats what I think has brought his shoot up from inconsistent to fairly reliable when given an open look. I think the shipping of Brooks also made a significant difference.

It's a very exciting time right now to be a Rockets fan. After a trade that shipped out the reigning MIP, and a defensive captain you would have thought the season was going to get sketchy fast, but instead the emergence of Kyle Lowry and co. have turned this season into an enthusiastic one.

This team was so inconsistent all year battling various issues, and now the Rockets are that team that have nothing to lose, just go out play hard and try to grab that eighth seed.

I really hope they make it. I do think the Rockets can make life tough for the Spurs, I don't think they can beat them in a 7 game series, but could they make it competitive most definitely. This team scores in bunches and when they give at least a decent effort on D they will stay in just about every game.

If the Rockets move the ball and play confident through Adelmans offense then yes I think they can make life a bit tough for the Spurs, I really hope it happens.

Agreed.

It would be huge for the franchise if we could force a 6 game series (at least) with the Spurs. For one our young squad gains invaluable experience up against arguably the best team in the league, and free agents and players looking to move via trade will view Houston as a stronger destination (not by much though), and best of all it gives the players and the fans hope for a better season next year. All of this easily beats picking 2-4 spots higher in a weak draft.

While we have been playing MUCH better since the trades, its playoff time where I'm going to miss a true leader like Shane Battier. I hope Chuck and Scola are able to provide some of that leadership.

Bulls barely manage to fend off the Grizzlies, still a win but Memphis has been playing some gritty basketball since acquiring Battier. Suns lead by 8 in the 2nd quarter, if they could pull off a win it would be HUGE for us.

Tomorrow's big games:

Rockets vs 76ers

Grizzlies vs Warriors

Hornets vs Blazers

If everything goes Houston's way, meaning that we win and the Grizzlies and Hornets lose, then our playoff odds increase by roughly 20%. At least that is according to sportsclubstats.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NBA/Western/Southwest/Rockets.html

Good idea to bookmark this if you're a Rockets fan.

Edited by Dash
  • Like 1

...And the Rockets lose, Memphis wins and the Hornets hold an 7 point lead with 4 minutes to go. Worst case scenario.

Barring an undefeated streak till the end of the season, we're done. Time to look forward to the draft.

Edited by Dash

Here's what the Rockets are going to need to do in order to make it to the dance.

7-0: 84.5% chance to make playoffs.

6-1: 44.1% chance to make playoffs.

Remaining schedule:

Fri 01 vs San Antonio

Sun 03 vs Atlanta

Tue 05 vs Sacramento

Wed 06 @ New Orleans

Sat 09 vs LA Clippers

Mon 11 vs Dallas

Wed 13 @ Minnesota

Not looking so good.