Jimmer Fredette's Professional Potential

3pointgod

I have ZERO, actually to be honest I'd say negative four, faith in Jimmer as a pro. He can shoot yes, and he's a good scorer but I would not take him, not even late in the second round. He can't defend, he's not fast, he doesn't excel at distributing the ball, he's short and not very athletic (relatively speaking). Maybe in the right system he can be a guy that gets some productive minutes and hits some shots here and there, but I'm thinking he's going to have a sub-JJ Reddick career.

I'm honestly not sure on this one. He has a chance to be a decent point guard, as a backup. A lot of people have been comparing him to Redick, but I just don't see that. First off, Jimmer can handle the ball, unlike Redick when he first came into the league, and even at times now. Also, another fact is that Jimmer can create his own shot. J.J. Redick was always a spot up shooter and that's where I think Fredette has a chance to become a better player than people give him credit for. Do I think he's going to become a star? No, but he could become a decent role player.

I have ZERO, actually to be honest I'd say negative four, faith in Jimmer as a pro. He can shoot yes, and he's a good scorer but I would not take him, not even late in the second round.

I don't think he will be much of a pro either, but this is just ridiculous. I know, or at least hope, you are exaggerating to prove a point, but if you wouldn't take a chance on a guy like Fredette with a 2nd round pick, you are an idiot.

Best case scenario he has a JJ Redick like impact on a team, although he will never be the kind of defender as Redick has become. Redick isn't a star by any means, but as an 8th or 9th man he isn't terrible. You won't rely on him to give you 30 minutes a night or else your team will be in trouble, but you can rely on him for 15-20 minutes a night.

Worst case scenario, he is an Eddie House clone. Liability defensively, can't handle the rock or run an offense, but can come in during certain points in the game where you are in desperate need of shooting and he can provide you with that.

I'd say he falls somewhere in between these two, closer to House than Redick, but stil somewhere in between. He can handle the ball better than House can and I would expect that he can create his own offense better than House which won't force him to be a sport up shooter and nothing more.

I wouldn't use a lottery pick on him, and I'm not even sure how comfortable I would be giving him the guaranteed contract of a first round pick (but in a draft lacking depth, such as this one, that wouldn't be terrible), but if he were to fall to the 2nd round you would be insane not to at least take a chance on the guy.

• Like 1

Poor shot selection even though he's a big time scorer, he's not a good passer or rebounder, and he's a liability on defense. I'm not really high on him, but given the right system (where he's primarily used as a spot up shooter) he can be a difference maker. He'll get drafted in the first round though, let's not be ridiculous now.

Edited by Confidence

I don't think he will be much of a pro either, but this is just ridiculous. I know, or at least hope, you are exaggerating to prove a point, but if you wouldn't take a chance on a guy like Fredette with a 2nd round pick, you are an idiot.

Best case scenario he has a JJ Redick like impact on a team, although he will never be the kind of defender as Redick has become. Redick isn't a star by any means, but as an 8th or 9th man he isn't terrible. You won't rely on him to give you 30 minutes a night or else your team will be in trouble, but you can rely on him for 15-20 minutes a night.

Worst case scenario, he is an Eddie House clone. Liability defensively, can't handle the rock or run an offense, but can come in during certain points in the game where you are in desperate need of shooting and he can provide you with that.

I'd say he falls somewhere in between these two, closer to House than Redick, but stil somewhere in between. He can handle the ball better than House can and I would expect that he can create his own offense better than House which won't force him to be a sport up shooter and nothing more.

I wouldn't use a lottery pick on him, and I'm not even sure how comfortable I would be giving him the guaranteed contract of a first round pick (but in a draft lacking depth, such as this one, that wouldn't be terrible), but if he were to fall to the 2nd round you would be insane not to at least take a chance on the guy.

Jimmer is a great player - anyone will say it. What he's done in lieu of a terrible team in BYU is nothing short of outstanding, and he's carried what is basically a 9 seed all the way up to a 3 seed. He should get serious consideration for POY and rightfully so. He does it all on the offensive end for BYU, a lot of which will transfer over to the NBA - his off-ball movement, shooting, creativity and will to win will find a niche on some NBA team.

The one thing I'd be worried about is if he's drafted by the wrong team. Bill Simmons brought up Charlotte and that's an excellent point. The Bobcats would be awful for him.

• Owner

Whatever team he goes to will need to have a defensive anchor. He would fit in perfectly with the Magic, to be honest.

Redick is actually a decent comparison, but Jimmer attacks the basket more, and wants the ball all the time. He's a better passer, that's for sure, but he doesn't trust his teammates enough, either.

But, the good thing about being a college player is that there's always room for improvements, and the NBA is usually a wake-up call for everyone. Jimmer will learn to play less selfish basketball, and he'll realize that he'll need to put forth the effort on defense if he wants to avoid becoming Adam Morrison.

I don't quite remember who did. but he has been compared to Eddie House and Kyle Korver and I think that's a fair comparison. He plays virtually no D but can shoot the lights out. Really a hybrid between House's explosiveness in terms of his shooting and Korver's consistency in his shooting.

And Jimmer > Jennings in shooting only.

• Owner

He's no House or Korver. Jimmer isn't afraid to attack the basket, and he would rather create his own shot. Both House and Korver are spot-up shooters who look for others to create for them.

Jimmer > Jennings

Do it Bucks.

Picking Jimmer would actually make sense, Bucks already have a good defense but lack anyone who can bring it offensively consistently. Maybe Jimmer can be the guy that does but its too early to say right now.

Whatever team he goes to will need to have a defensive anchor. He would fit in perfectly with the Magic, to be honest.

Redick is actually a decent comparison, but Jimmer attacks the basket more, and wants the ball all the time. He's a better passer, that's for sure, but he doesn't trust his teammates enough, either.

But, the good thing about being a college player is that there's always room for improvements, and the NBA is usually a wake-up call for everyone. Jimmer will learn to play less selfish basketball, and he'll realize that he'll need to put forth the effort on defense if he wants to avoid becoming Adam Morrison.

Magic would work out great for him but he's a bit redundant to Nelson and Arenas no?

I'd like to see come to Houston, Morey was apparently raving about him earlier in the season.

Picking Jimmer would actually make sense, Bucks already have a good defense but lack anyone who can bring it offensively consistently. Maybe Jimmer can be the guy that does but its too early to say right now.

Magic would work out great for him but he's a bit redundant to Nelson and Arenas no?

I'd like to see come to Houston, Morey was apparently raving about him earlier in the season.

Trade Jennings to the Clippers for Aminu+Bledsoe

He's no House or Korver. Jimmer isn't afraid to attack the basket, and he would rather create his own shot. Both House and Korver are spot-up shooters who look for others to create for them.

Just because he isn't afraid to create his own should and would rather do it doesn't mean he will actually be able to do it at the next level.

Like I said the other day, I admit to not seeing any of him until tournament time, but in the three games that I did watch of his, he will struggle mightily to create his own shot in the NBA. He may be able to create a bit of seperation wtih a couple of dribbles, but I just don't see how he is going to be able to actually get to the rim with any sort of consistency. His handle is average at best (and I think it is more weak than average, but again, 3 games only), he doesn't have much of a first step and his footwork didn't appear to be anything special.

Fredette is going to definitely have to depend on others to create looks for him at the next level because he certainly doesn't look like he will be able to create much for himself. I do think he will be able to create better than House and Korver can, but I still think about 90% of his time in the NBA will be spent as a spot up shooter or curling off of screens (which is another thing he needs to work on as he was awful without the ball in his hands whenever I saw him).

Who knows, though. I said JJ Redick would be out of the league after his rookie contract and thought Adam Morrison would actually become a solid 6th-7th man for a team (and I still think had he not blown out his knee he could've at least been a rotation player). Fredette can easily prove me wrong, like I have been on plenty of prospects in the past.

• Owner

Arenas is done, as far as I'm concerned. He's shooting 34% for Orlando this season, and a lot of those shots have been wide open. The Magic need to figure out something, because he's going to cost them a shot at a championship if he continues to play important minutes for them.

Just because he isn't afraid to create his own should and would rather do it doesn't mean he will actually be able to do it at the next level.

Like I said the other day, I admit to not seeing any of him until tournament time, but in the three games that I did watch of his, he will struggle mightily to create his own shot in the NBA. He may be able to create a bit of seperation wtih a couple of dribbles, but I just don't see how he is going to be able to actually get to the rim with any sort of consistency. His handle is average at best (and I think it is more weak than average, but again, 3 games only), he doesn't have much of a first step and his footwork didn't appear to be anything special.

Korver was spotting up at Creighton, jacking eight threes a game in his last season, out of less than 12 shots a game. I still remember how he played, but I don't remember Eddie House (although I do know he played for Arizona State, and they weren't good enough to be in the tourney). Korver was definitely not the same player, so it makes me believe Fredette can be more.

But you're right about how none of this means he can get it done at the next level. All I'm saying is that there's nothing that I can say proves that he's similar to those two players, when they were in college or their current play in the NBA.

Fredette will have all of the tools available to him, for him to get better. Once you're selected and stuck on a team, you're forced to learn the game. It took Redick a bit, but he finally picked things up and improved on both ends of the court. Same with Trevor Ariza, and many others every single year.

My only problem with all of this is that Fredette was the primary option for BYU, and on a lot of nights, he was the only option. There's no way he'll have that in the NBA, so that's less defensive attention already. I can't ignore the fact that defenders are much better on a pro level, obviously, but at the same time, a lot of that can be neutralized by the type of offense ran.

You talk about Morrison and how he could've been something. Morrison was a pretty good offensive player, mainly when he was popping jumpers. Kobe stated that he was one amazing shooter, one of the best he's seen in a while (in practice, of course). Morrison's crutch wasn't just his injury, but the fact that he was absolutely horrific on the defensive end, which is what people thought about Redick as well, and what some will probably think about Fredette.

Ironically, you see that with Korver and House as well, and that's really the only comparison I draw between these players and Fredette.

Jimmer is a smart player when he's actually getting his team involved. When he's chucking shots, it's him being ignorant and trying to take over games. That may sound stupid, but Kobe Bryant was the same way when he was young, and so was Jordan at one point of his career. I'm definitely not going to draw a comparison between those guys, because Jimmer will never reach that level, but it's solid proof that players can in fact change their ways with the right teammates and coaches around them, both based on the talent and leadership those teammates and coaches provide.

Yeah, he can be a role-player, but I'm seriously concerned with his ability to get his shot off with the same ease he did in college. The three point line is further, the defenders are overwhelmingly taller, longer and better at defending deep shots. And I agree he has a lot better ability to create off the dribble than JJ, he's just one of those Adam Morrison, great-in-college-but-terrible in the NBA, players.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, he had an amazing college career and deserves to be player of the year. But doing it against Mountain West competition is in no way shape or form comparable to doing it against Eastern Conference teams.

• Owner

Yeah, he can be a role-player, but I'm seriously concerned with his ability to get his shot off with the same ease he did in college. The three point line is further, the defenders are overwhelmingly taller, longer and better at defending deep shots. And I agree he has a lot better ability to create off the dribble than JJ, he's just one of those Adam Morrison, great-in-college-but-terrible in the NBA, players.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, he had an amazing college career and deserves to be player of the year. But doing it against Mountain West competition is in no way shape or form comparable to doing it against Eastern Conference teams.

The three is 23'9" (as you said, isn't as short), but he's been shooting long threes all season long. Range won't be a problem.

He'll have trouble shooting over two-guards, but I doubt any NBA teams will play him at the two. He'll be a scoring point, and he gets enough elevation on his jumpers to shoot over almost any point guard in the NBA. But look at Allen Iverson. He had no trouble taking shots on two-guards. Jimmer is two inches taller. It's all about the way you elude your defender, using your ball-handling and your teammates.

You have to consider the fact that Jimmer won't be drawing all of these double teams when he's in the NBA. For the most part, if he lands on a team that has a superstar and a few decent players, he'll be open quite a bit, and MUCH more than he was at BYU.

don't forget that Morrison showed great potential before his injury and eventual benching in LA. I still think Morrison could be a decent piece for a team right now but he isn't given the opportunity, and Phil sure as hell wasn't going to bench Puke(in fairness he never plays anyway) for a guy that could actually hit an open 3