Some Christians opposing the prioritizing of sports over God

The Truth

“That’s one of the major things I decry in my book,” said Tom Krattenmaker, author of “Onward Christian Athletes,” who's based in Portland, Oregon. “The lack of that sort of prophetic distance from sports or the willingness to critique sports, the lack of setting priorities so that the worship of God is more important than this idolatrous relationship with sports.”
Hoffman says it would be naïve to think that the fans that show up for the Final Four in a couple weeks are going solely because they appreciate the skill and athleticism of the teams involved. For some, he says, it’s “sheer tribalism.”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/25/amid-march-madness-some-christians-decry-sports-worship/?hpt=C2

you gotta be kidding me.

Didn't read the posted article, but form the quotes posted it seemed more along the lines of them believing that people are putting sports on a pedestal that they believe God should be on.

I don't think they oppose sports at all.

just for the record, someone changed my thread title. none of those quoted in the article ever said Christians are putting sports above God; they're implying instead that sports are getting in the way of a closer relationship with God amongst Christians. just thought I'd throw that in there before people get on my case lol.

• Owner

just for the record, someone changed my thread title. none of those quoted in the article ever said Christians are putting sports above God; they're implying instead that sports are getting in the way of a closer relationship with God amongst Christians. just thought I'd throw that in there before people get on my case lol.

the lack of setting priorities so that the worship of God is more important than this idolatrous relationship with sports.

In other words, people aren't setting God as a higher priority than their obsession with sports.