Derrick Williams Entering NBA Draft

Built Ford Tough

Coast 2 Coast Hoops has learned from sources close to Derrick Williams that he will be entering the 2011 NBA Draft. Our sources cite the possibility of him being the #1 overall pick and the risk of injury being too great for him to ignore.

Derrick Williams averaged 19.5 points and 8.3 points in his sophomore season at Arizona. Williams was tremendously efficient, shooting 60 percent from the field and 57 percent from three point range. Williams also led the nation in free throw attempts.

Williams led an Arizona team that won the Pac 10 conference, won 30 games, and advanced to the Elite 8. Williams was the only player to average double digit points and led the team in rebounding, steals, and blocks. Williams was dominant all season, but it wasn't until Arizona's tourney run that he started to garner national attention.

Williams certainly made use of the big stage. Williams had a game winning block against Memphis, a game winning and-one against Texas, and had a chance at a game winning three pointer against UConn. Williams also led Arizona with 32 points and 13 rebounds in their blowout victory over top seeded Duke.

Despite his high shooting percentage, it wasn't until a stellar first half against Duke where he scored 25 points and made five three pointers that many scouts realized that he was a true threat from anywhere on the court. The national exposure moved him up draft boards and it is believed that he has a legitimate chance to be the top pick overall.

Our sources say that he could change his mind, but as of now the decision has been made to turn pro (despite local media reports that he has not made a decision). Williams will not comment on his future and has not indicated in the slightest that he will be going pro so we don't want to speak for him. His camp have been careful what they are telling the media, but a source close to him indicated his decision.

http://coast2coasthoops.com/content/coast-2-coast-sources-derrick-williams-enter-nba-draft-9/

Not that this should surprise anybody. After the initial shock of losing in the tournament wears off, you knew that a guy like Williams, who is likely to go in the top 3, would declare for the draft.

It really makes sense for him to declare this year anyways. I know, I know, there is the whole lockout possibility, but the fact of the matter is that when these guys are going to be picked in the top 3, hell, top 5, 99% of them are going to declare for the draft because that is simply too good of an opportunity to pass up.

It is why I still don't fully believe Sullinger won't enter, either (although to be fair, he does seem like he is actually staying at OSU).

• Owner

It's not a jaw-dropping announcement, as you said. Williams is going to take advantage of his draft value. Everyone saw him on a grand stage, knocking out the defending champs and playing very, very well doing it...and with the big numbers throughout the season to back it up, it's wise to take that opportunity.

Could be a pretty damn good player in the NBA, versatile SF with a lot of Danny Granger in him. If he hits the gym and puts on a lot of muscle, he could be a strong four, and very tough to defend.

It's not a jaw-dropping announcement, as you said. Williams is going to take advantage of his draft value. Everyone saw him on a grand stage, knocking out the defending champs and playing very, very well doing it...and with the big numbers throughout the season to back it up, it's wise to take that opportunity.

Could be a pretty damn good player in the NBA, versatile SF with a lot of Danny Granger in him. If he hits the gym and puts on a lot of muscle, he could be a strong four, and very tough to defend.

I think the PF is a better option for him. I just dont see him being able to stay up with alot of the SF's we have in the league today. Putting on some muscle and becoming a strong but still very quick PF seems to be a better fit for him.

• Owner

it would be huge for Golden State if they could get this guy.

Curry

Ellis

Williams

Udoh

Biedrins

ship David Lee's ass out of there.

Biedrins is complete trash. They need to send him off before anyone else. Getting Williams would be great for them, but then, they need to look for a real center that actually has the ability to play the position.

Biedrins is complete trash. They need to send him off before anyone else. Getting Williams would be great for them, but then, they need to look for a real center that actually has the ability to play the position.

yeah, they definitely need to improve at the center position.

they should go after Nene, but idk if they have the cap.

I think the PF is a better option for him. I just dont see him being able to stay up with alot of the SF's we have in the league today. Putting on some muscle and becoming a strong but still very quick PF seems to be a better fit for him.

Eh, I think he's quick enough to cover SF's in this league. People worry about Sullinger playing in the paint because he'd get blocked so much due to his size, the same goes for Williams. He stated himself that he prefers playing the 3.

This is the guy I want the Wizards to draft more than anyone else. He gets to the line a lot, has the ability to create his own shot, and loves to get on the break..he'd be the perfect fit next to Wall. He isn't a great ball handler, but has a quick first step and most importantly, isn't a ball stopper. He keeps it moving, and rarely do you see him hesitate with the ball in his hands.

Best part about him is that he mixes up. You never see him fall in love with the three, he can post defenders up, is an exceptional catch and shoot player, and is a smart player.

• 2 weeks later...

It is official now.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041311aad.html

TUCSON, Ariz.- University of Arizona men's basketball player Derrick Williams has decided to make himself eligible for the 2011 NBA Draft. Williams intends to sign with an agent and will not return to the program in 2011-12.

A 6-foot-8, 241-pound sophomore forward from La Mirada, Calif., Williams led Arizona with per-game averages of 19.5 points and 8.3 rebounds, to go with a .595 (226-of-380) field goal percentage in 38 appearances (all starts). He scored in double figures 37 times, posted 13 double-doubles and posted the two highest single-game rebounding totals in the Pac-10 this season (19 at Washington State on Jan. 22 and 18 at California on Feb. 5).

"After careful consideration and with the support of my family and Coach Miller, I have decided to declare for the 2011 NBA Draft," said Williams. "I have enjoyed my two years at Arizona both on and off the court. I want to thank my teammates, who are like brothers to me, my coaches and all Wildcat Fans for making my experience an unforgettable one."

The 2011 Pacific-10 Conference and USBWA District IX Player of the Year, Williams' 741 points scored was the third-highest single-season total in school history, while his 247 free throws and 331 attempts were new single-season school records. Additionally, his .568 three-point field goal percentage (42-of-74) this season ranked second in UA annals, while his 314 rebounds tied for seventh all time.

So at least there is a legitimate top 2 in this draft. It would be amazing if Barnes decided to declare to give the draft some more depth (and because the Raptors are picking in the top 3 :P), but at least the consensous top 2 have officially declared, especially after Perry Jones going back to Baylor come out of absolutely nowhere.