NBA Roster Pages Complete

Real Deal

• Owner

Lakers - http://www.otrbasketball.com/lakers/roster.php

After many hours of deliberation (me sitting at my computer), I decided that Elgin Baylor didn't play enough power forward to stick at that position on the roster, and shockingly, Gasol is the greatest PF in Lakers history.

It would be nice to stick Wilt there, or Shaq, but they weren't PF's.

Also, I had to choose between Kobe and West, and it came down to who had the most rings. West has the better stats in a weaker era, Kobe has five rings and holds a lot of Laker records (including the scoring records), and neither West or Kobe are SF's.

Ugh.

• Owner

Magic - http://www.otrbasketball.com/magic/roster.php

Mavericks - http://www.otrbasketball.com/mavericks/roster.php

I know Dallas fans wanted Sam Perkins as a center on the all-time roster, but every year he played for Dallas, he was their starting PF. He played very few minutes at the center position.

It's the same situation I had with Dwight Howard. I wanted to place him at the PF, Shaq at center...but there's no way. Howard hasn't played the four in years.

• Owner

Nets - http://otrbasketball.com/nets/roster.php

That Orlando All Time team looks sick...Imagine them all together. Wow. That's probably gotta be my favorite lineup so far.

WHAAAT?

C - Shaq

PF - Gasol

SF - Baylor

SG - Kobe

PG - Magic

Come on, you Blazers fan...I know why you said that. :lol: Lakers take Orlando at every single position, and easily. :P

Not sure if Jason Kidd beats out Derek Harper for the Mavs All Time PG, RD. It's tough, because Kidd does have the ring, but Harper played most of his career in Dallas, and had some phenomenal years there including a trip to the WCF where they nearly beat the Lakers in 1988 (went to 7 games).

• Owner

Not sure if Jason Kidd beats out Derek Harper for the Mavs All Time PG, RD. It's tough, because Kidd does have the ring, but Harper played most of his career in Dallas, and had some phenomenal years there including a trip to the WCF where they nearly beat the Lakers in 1988 (went to 7 games).

I don't know. I gave it to Kidd not because of the ring, but because he simply did more on the court.

Kidd did play just 5-6 seasons in Dallas, though. I'm assuming Harper doubled that, because he was still in Dallas when I first started watching basketball.

• Owner

Brandon, since when can a team have four players with the same jersey number? Stop being lazy.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268769_10150293931440255_26426125254_9641496_6361500_n.jpg

Ha, nice one. I'll get that changed later tonight.

WHAAAT?

C - Shaq

PF - Gasol

SF - Baylor

SG - Kobe

PG - Magic

Come on, you Blazers fan...I know why you said that. :lol: Lakers take Orlando at every single position, and easily. :P

Yeah but the only player on that Lakers team I really like is Gasol. I don't care for anyone else. I like all 5 players on the Magic. Those 5 together just screams badass.

Plus, it's the Lakers man, as a Blazers fan, I'm not supposed to like any Laker. :lol:

I agree with this roster, although a case could be made for Pierce over Havlicek... Especially that if they're both SF who can play 2, Pierce spent more times at the SG position, as a matter of fact he played SG for the first part of his career (he only definitely became a SF when Ray Allen arrived in the team). It's arguable though.

I think too that Havlicek derserves a bit more to be in the lineup though, especially because he had a bit more success than Pierce (both individually and collectively) and he was a better defender than PP.

I 100% agree with you there, it's the easiest one to do though as the Bobcats have no history.

Here I think that it's too early to put Rose at PG to be honest... I know he's already MVP but he still just haven't done enough to be in a starting lineup of an All Time roster. Especially the way he played in last playoffs... I would put Norm Van Lier instead, certainly the best Bulls PG ever right now and one of the very best defenders of All Time.

Though I have no doubt that Rose will be here one day.

Also Bob Love was rather a SF. And even if he didn't play in Chicago as long as Grant, I have no doubt that Rodman is the best PF that ever wear a Bulls jersey. Besides it's in Chicago that Rodman had his best years, especially the 96 Finals that even are his career highlights. Besides we know all that he brought to Chicago, it's simple in 95 all the key players of the 96 season were already there and the Bulls lost against Orlando in the second... You just add Rodman to that team and not only they win a ring but they also break the record for most win in a season ever and win two more rings the two following years, becoming the fourth team to ever make a three peat (only the Minneapolis Lakers, Celtics (who won eight in a row) and 91-93 Bulls won three titles in a row before them).

Rodman has to be the starting PF.

Here I agree with everything except maybe for Johnson. I think I would rather put Bob Dandridge instead. It's arguable though. Both players were terrific and had a great career but Dandridge was a very important player of the only Bucks team to ever win a ring and he was also a better defender.

So I'd give the edge to Bob.

Honestly Wicks was a very good player but Sheed is the most talented player to ever wear a Blazers jersey (IMO). Not only that but Wicks never even led them to the playoffs while Sheed led them to the playoffs every year he was there, twice in the WCF. And without the miracle at the end of the 2000 game 7 he certainly would have even led them to a ring...

There is no doubt in my mind that Sheed has to start at PF.

And Petrie was very talented but he didn't achieve enough to be in the starting lineup IMO. Especially that the Blazers didn't do anything with him. Sad for him that he was traded to Atlanta the year the Blazers won their first ring... He never played in Atlanta anyhow as he had to retire because of a bad knee injury.

So I would rather put Jim Paxson instead in the lineup.

Mmh you got the wrong link there lol. So I don't know what you picked but mine would be :

C. Brad Daugherty

P.F. Larry Nance

S.F. LeBron James

S.G. Austin Carr

P.G. Mark Price

Danny Manning definitely has to be the SF here. Maggette had some nice year but he never was the player that Manning before his knee injury. Manning was a fantastic player. And he even led the Clippers to the playoffs twice in a row, the only time it happened since the Clippers arrived in LA.

As for the SG, well I guess that a case could be made for Ron Harper. But I think that Randy Smith was overall a better player. So I guess I agree with that pick but it's definitely arguable.

Even if Randolph hasn't played a lot in Memphis I would definitely put him over Abdur-Rahim. Shareef is one of the biggest disappointments ever, he was an alright player but he was no leader material and never did anything with that franchise. While Z Bo changed the Grizzlies. It's first thanks to him that the Grizzlies have been so good these last two couple of years. And his performance in the last playoffs was beyong belief. Definitely the best Grizzlies season ever and by far.

So I think that it's plenty enough for him to start at PF.

And I think that a case could be made for Mike Miller at SG. But it's arguable. And I'm fine with Battier.

Oh and I would pick Jason Williams over Bibby at PG. Bibby was not the player that he became later in Sac Town in his Grizzlies days and Williams stayed longer and had some more succesful years in Memphis. Not to mention that he had the best years of his career as a Grizzlies.

Honestly Mutombo has to start here. As good as Willis was, he never had the impact that Mutombo had, especially defensively of course, and Dikembe even had his best years as a Hawk. Just impossible not to pick Deke here.

And Maravich should start at SG, Hagan was a fantastic player but he was rather a SF and Pistol Pete was just overall a better player who even revolutionized the game of basketball.

It honestly doesn't matter if neither Shaq or Zo were PF, they are CLEARLY the best inside players to ever play in Miami and both have to start in that roster. So I would put Shaq at center (he started to decrease in Miami but still had his last great years as a Heat and has to be in that roster) and Zo at PF instead of Haslem. Zo had the size of a PF and could play PF anyhow.

Other than that I agree.

No problem there, I 100% with that roster.

I agree with you there too. Well if Chambers played more than just two seasons and at least was still at his prime I guess he could have been mentioned over Eaton... But that wasn't the case so Eaton has to be mentioned here indeed.

The starting C has to be Jerry Lucas. Lacey was a good player but he wasn't even close to the the great Jerry who even had his best years as a King (or rather a Royals).

Lakers - http://www.otrbasketball.com/lakers/roster.php

After many hours of deliberation (me sitting at my computer), I decided that Elgin Baylor didn't play enough power forward to stick at that position on the roster, and shockingly, Gasol is the greatest PF in Lakers history.

It would be nice to stick Wilt there, or Shaq, but they weren't PF's.

Also, I had to choose between Kobe and West, and it came down to who had the most rings. West has the better stats in a weaker era, Kobe has five rings and holds a lot of Laker records (including the scoring records), and neither West or Kobe are SF's.

I personally think that it just doesn't matter if Baylor didn't play enough PF or if Kareem weren't a PF, if they can play PF then they can be mentioned as one. The only thing that matters when you do an All Time roster is that you make sure that you mention the very best players in it. Not at any price of course, there's no way you would mention West as a PF... But Kareem could definitely play PF. So I definitely think that Kareem should be the starting PF here. It's just impossible to skip Kareem of that lineup anyhow, he was clearly by far better than Gasol and just has to start.

The lineup could also be Shaq, Kareem or Wilt at center, then Baylor at PF, Kobe at SF (not only can he play SF but he played SF many times during his career, he was even the starting SF in 99, the first time that he became a starter and when Eddie Jones was still in the team), West at SG and Magic at PG but first of all IMO it's just impossible not to mention both Shaq and Kareem in that roster and I think that West would be better of the bench anyhow. West was a pure combo guard he could back up at the same time Magic and Kobe.

So the starting lineup definitely has to be :

C. Shaquille O'Neal

P.F. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

S.F. Elgin Baylor

S.G. Kobe Bryant

P.G. Earvin "Magic" Johnson

Mavericks - http://www.otrbasketball.com/mavericks/roster.php

I know Dallas fans wanted Sam Perkins as a center on the all-time roster, but every year he played for Dallas, he was their starting PF. He played very few minutes at the center position.

Again it doesn't matter if Perkins played more at PF, he could play center, played center many times and so definitely can be mentioned as the starting C. And Tarpley has nothing to do in that roster, neither on the starting lineup or on the bench, he just didn't play enough because of his cocaine problems. Although I agree that in terms of pure talent he's certainly the second best inside player that the Mavs ever had. But he didn't have the career that he was supposed to be and I would even put James Donaldson ahead of him.

Anyway Perkins has to start.

And I agree with ABL, I think that Harper has to start over Kidd. In terms of pure talent Kidd is the best PG that the Mavs ever had but when he played with that team he was either not his prime yet or past his prime... That's just not enough to be the starting PG. It has to be Derek Harper. Who was a fantastic player, a great defender (and I have to say my favorite PG ever) and as ABL mentioned led the Mavs to a fantastic WCF against the Lakers in 88, they almost beat the Lakers that year.

Magic - http://www.otrbasketball.com/magic/roster.php

It's the same situation I had with Dwight Howard. I wanted to place him at the PF, Shaq at center...but there's no way. Howard hasn't played the four in years.

As I already stated all of this doesn't matter IMO, Shaq and Dwight are by far the best inside players that the franchise ever had and both have to start. Besides, even if he never played PF in his NBA days yet, Howard still is first of all a PF (even if he became a true C now). So he definitely can be mentioned at PF. And Shaq has to start at C.

Also there's no way that Grant Hill can be mentioned in that roster. Grant almost never played in Orlando because of his injuries.

No I would put McGrady at SF. He played and started at SF many time in his Orlando days and in all his career for that matter.

And I would put Penny at SG, after Shaq departure Penny played more SG and less PG. He even didn't play PG at all in the last years of his career.

And I would put Scott Skyles at PG. He was the first "star" of the franchise and had the best years of his career there. It's also as a Magic, in 1990, that Scott broke the NBA record for most assist in a game ever, with 30 assists.

Honestly Billy Paultz had the best years of his career as a Nets but Coleman was just a better player overall. In terms of pure talent he's certainly the best player that the Nets ever had. But sadly never reached his potential... And the Nets were not as successful in the Coleman years as they were during the Erving and Paultz era. So it's arguable.

I also thin that a case could be made for Petrovic over Carter. But Drazen didn't play enough in New Jersey though, because of that terrible car accident in 93... Too bad cause I am sure that he would be in that roster for sure.

But anyway yeah I think that right now Carter deserves to be in it.

• Like 2

• Owner

The all-time lineups take into consideration time spent with the team, production with that particular team, and primary positions. I can't stick Kareem at the four. He's known as one of the greatest centers ever.

Bob Love was a PF. This is according to ESPN and a couple of older Bulls fans. Plus, it was Chet Walker who started at the SF slot, with Love at the four.

In fact, all of the positions I ripped were from ESPN and fans that were my age or a bit older (and one very old Lakers fan).

Moving Kareem to PF, Mourning to PF, Lucas to C (Embry was starting at center, Lucas was the PF), and even Kobe at SF (which would be painful), it just doesn't make sense to me because, for those respective teams, these players should be recognized for the positions they played in AND against.

I did change my mind about Jason Kidd, by the way. Harper makes more sense.

It's hard to put Sheed in over Wicks because Wallace CHOSE not to use his talents as much as he could've. He wouldn't rebound the ball as much as we knew he could. He didn't force his way into the post enough. What Portland did shouldn't rewrite history...they were a very deep team. Pippen and Co. did quite a bit for that team, and while Sheed probably led in scoring almost every season, he didn't climb too high in that department, and Wicks put up numbers that Sheed may have been capable of (scoring-wise) but decided against because he was too obsessed with being a Larry Bird instead of a nasty, physical post player. I don't know.

Petrie and Paxson, I don't mind. It's basically one or the other, not a big deal to me. Petrie put up more impressive numbers, Paxson was there a little longer. I don't consider the team's success a big factor unless the team itself was complete trash (in the case of Kevin Martin when he was in Sacramento).

Sticking guys in positions they never played in (or rarely played)...it's just wrong. I don't see why any Heat fan would want to acknowledge Alonzo Mourning as the greatest PF to play for their franchise, when the only time he played PF was when SVG and Riley experimented with Zo and Shaq in the five together. Same with Kareem and others. Maybe if I was looking to put together an all-time roster that can play together and win games, but that's not the point...best players at their positions.

It is going to be awesome to see the Raptors lineup.

We will go from something like:

Shaq/Gasol/Baylor/Kobe/Magic or Parrish/McHale/Bird/Hondo/Cousy

to

Antonio Davis/Chris Bosh/Morris Peterson/Vince Carter/Jose Calderon (although I would have Stoudamire here, not sure who you will be listing)

:lol:

At least it isn't as bad as the Bobcats...

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Bob Love was a PF. This is according to ESPN and a couple of older Bulls fans. Plus, it was Chet Walker who started at the SF slot, with Love at the four.

Well I know that Love could play PF, he's in fact a swing man, but I forgot that he actually started as a PF at the time... Yeah it's true Walker was the SF. Although I watched some videos of Love and for me he rather had the game of a SF, even if he could play PF indeed.

Anyway no matter what I still would put Rodman as the starting PF.

It's hard to put Sheed in over Wicks because Wallace CHOSE not to use his talents as much as he could've. He wouldn't rebound the ball as much as we knew he could. He didn't force his way into the post enough. What Portland did shouldn't rewrite history...they were a very deep team. Pippen and Co. did quite a bit for that team, and while Sheed probably led in scoring almost every season, he didn't climb too high in that department, and Wicks put up numbers that Sheed may have been capable of (scoring-wise) but decided against because he was too obsessed with being a Larry Bird instead of a nasty, physical post player. I don't know.

Well I agree with this to some extent. I mean it's true that Sheed didn't play to his potential but this is especially true for his Detroit years. As a Blazer Sheed always accepted to be the true leader of the team, contrary to when he was a Piston. And the least we can say is that he did a fine job as the leader of this team. Sure his Blazers were very deep indeed, no one can win all by himself in a collective game anyhow, but as the leader he has to get more credit. I would add that the reason why he didn't have better stats than he had was because he played in such a deep team. When you're surrounded by so many scorers you just don't need to score more. Same for rebounds actually when you're surrounded by such great rebounders as Pippen, Sabonis, Grant or Davis you just don't have to get more rebounds than that. Besides Sheed was still at least the second best rebounder of this team every year. So I certainly don't think that he can be blamed for not having more PPG and RPG.

Besides, even if I would have preferred him to assert himself more as a leader (especially during his Pistons years) I cannot blame a player for wanting to share more the ball at the same time. There are so many egos in this sport that it's quite refreshing to see a player who wants to share the ball with his teammates.

Also Wicks have averaged better numbers but first it was at another time, a time in which the defense were not as good, not only that but a time where there was just less good PFs. Sheed had to play against Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki, Webber, Malone, etc.. every night. And Sidney had those numbers in a team that did not even make the playoffs once. Not only that but the year Wicks and Petrie left the Blazers not only made the playoffs but even got a ring. This with Maurice Lucas instead of Wicks as the PF... While Sheed led his team to the playoffs every year. And the year he left the Blazers didn't make the playoffs with basically the same team, the main difference was that Randolph was the starting PF.

I agree that a case can be made for Wicks and I consider him as the second best PF the team ever had, but I personally would definitely put Sheed in the starting lineup.

The all-time lineups take into consideration time spent with the team, production with that particular team, and primary positions. I can't stick Kareem at the four. He's known as one of the greatest centers ever.

Moving Kareem to PF, Mourning to PF, Lucas to C (Embry was starting at center, Lucas was the PF), and even Kobe at SF (which would be painful), it just doesn't make sense to me because, for those respective teams, these players should be recognized for the positions they played in AND against.

Sticking guys in positions they never played in (or rarely played)...it's just wrong. I don't see why any Heat fan would want to acknowledge Alonzo Mourning as the greatest PF to play for their franchise, when the only time he played PF was when SVG and Riley experimented with Zo and Shaq in the five together. Same with Kareem and others. Maybe if I was looking to put together an all-time roster that can play together and win games, but that's not the point...best players at their positions.

I understand what you mean. But I just personally disagree though.. I mean sure it could be shocking to consider a true C as the best PF ever but honestly it would be even more shocking, at least to me, to have Haslem in the starting lineup instead of someone like Shaq... I would rather have Shaq and Mourning inside, same for Kareem and Shaq in LA, no matter if they're not listed at their true position. Besides this position thing is not that important to me. I mean for example when we think about Jordan we all think about SG, just like we all think about SF when we think about Bird, etc.. Yet those players didn't play at the same position through their career, even if they started most of the time at a particular one. Jordan played many times at SF, even PG, just like Bird played PF many times, etc... during games. All those great stars played at different position during the games through their long career, it is very rare that a player ALWAYS played at the same position.

What I mean to say here is that the name is more important than the position. At least to me.

Also I know that Lucas wasn't the starting C indeed, but he could and actually did play C many times during his career. Which is why I mentioned him as the starting C. Besides you mentioned Drexler as the starting SF and Willis as the starting C. Yet Willis always started at PF, the starting C was either Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak or Moses Malone. And Drexler always starter at SG, the starting SF was either Vandeweghe, Kersey or Clifford Robinson. So if Drexler or Willis can be mentioned at SG and C nonetheless I honestly think that Lucas can definitely be mentioned as the Kings starting C.

• Owner

If Rodman had more than just three seasons in Chicago, it would be easier for me. Love is the second or third all-time scorer in Chicago history. It's not really my place to "predict" how tough it was to play basketball in that era, or else I'm going to go and leave Kareem off the Bucks all-time list, as well as Wilt, and there's no reason to add Bill Russell to Boston, either.

And I'm considering Sheed now, but I'm still recognizing Wicks as the guy that did much more. It's basically going to be a decision I'm making for our lone Blazers fan. :lol:

Willis and Drexler's positions were my mistakes. I had Portland, Boston, and Atlanta completed a LONG time ago (even before I posted this topic...probably around Nov 2010), and I wasn't as dedicated to it as I am now. I knew Clyde was a primary two...but I didn't know that Willis started most of those games at the four. I completely forgot about him playing next to Rollins and Koncak (I actually never saw Tree in a Hawks uniform, since he left ATL a couple of seasons before I started watching ball, but I do remember Koncak being there forever). I'll change those up, eventually.

It's not really about starting positions, although that's a big deal...it's where they started AND played at the majority of their careers. I definitely understand your stance, I just doubt I'll change that, because while it sucks leaving off certain players (such as Kareem in LA), I just can't have him at the PF position.

Maybe not you, but too many people will look at that and say, "What the hell? Kareem NEVER played PF. He's one of the greatest centers of all-time."

The unfortunate truth is, players will be left off. The Lakers have Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Baylor, West, Wilt, and Mikan...and only five roster spots. Magic, Kobe, and Baylor are given...there's no way I can leave them out. Where does West fit in? I'll move Baylor to PF (secondary position), which leaves out Kareem, if I were to consider putting him there. Or I'll be leaving out Shaq. Mikan (who revolutionized basketball, like you said about Pistol Pete) is out of the equation.

I had to make a decision: I'm stressing "roster" over "all-time" at this point. Not too much more, but it has to go by positions, or I might as well just make lists of the greatest players for each team, which would be much longer than warranted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Sheed is now listed as the Blazers' all-time PF.

I also added Mutombo instead of Willis (to Atlanta), Rodman to Chicago, moved Drexler to the SG position (no idea why I had him anywhere else) and inserted Vandeweghe into Portland's five (well-deserved, IMO).

Also, Derek Harper replaced Kidd in Dallas.

I do listen to all of your suggestions, lol...even if it sounds like I don't. :)

Ah...

Pacers - http://www.otrbasketball.com/pacers/roster.php

Pistons - http://www.otrbasketball.com/pistons/roster.php

Raptors - http://www.otrbasketball.com/raptors/roster.php

Rockets - http://www.otrbasketball.com/rockets/roster.php

Sixers - http://www.otrbasketball.com/sixers/roster.php

Spurs - http://www.otrbasketball.com/spurs/roster.php

Almost done. :o

• Owner

Suns - http://www.otrbasketball.com/suns/roster.php

Thunder - http://www.otrbasketball.com/thunder/roster.php

Timberwolves - http://www.otrbasketball.com/timberwolves/roster.php

Warriors - http://www.otrbasketball.com/warriors/roster.php

Wizards - http://www.otrbasketball.com/wizards/roster.php

Use the top navigation to see the rest of the teams (no need to post them again).

Time to work on the schedules.

• Like 1

I do listen to all of your suggestions, lol...even if it sounds like I don't. :)

Haha good to know.

inserted Vandeweghe into Portland's five (well-deserved, IMO).

Well Kiki was a very good player indeed but I'm not really sure about this choice though... Cause Kiki only played in Portland four years. You definitely can be mentioned in an All Time roster if you played with a team for a short amount of time like 3 or four years though, but then you have to have accomplished some amazing things with that team. And it's not really the case for Kiki... He had some very good years in Portland but he did not achieve many things, I mean the team didn't go very far and he was not even All Star or All NBA once as a Blazer. That's why I'm not sure that it's enough to be honest.

At the same time it is true that the Blazers never had great SFs. So if you don't want to put a SG as SF there are not many choices.. But I would put Uncle Cliffy over him. The Blazers were not more succesful when Clifford was the best player of the team than they were in the Kiki years, but Robinson played much longer in Portland and was part of the two Blazers teams that made the Finals in the 90's. He was also All Star once and a better defender than Kiki.

Jermaine definitely had the best years of his career in his Pacers days but I honestly would put George McGinnis over him. McGinnis was part of the first last two Pacers teams to win a ring in the franchise's ABA days, he was one of the very best players of the league at the time and even was ABA MVP in 1975. He definitely has to be in that lineup IMO.

I would also put Roger Brown instead of Person. Chuck was a very good player but Brown just achieved more both individually and collectively. He was a part of the three Pacers teams that win a ring and was four time All Stars contrary to Chuck who never was All Star or in an All NBA team.

I would put Rodman over DeBusschere here. Dave had the best years of his career as a Knick. In Detroit he made the playoffs only three times and was All Star three times. In New York he won two rings and was All Star every year. It's also in New York that he was All NBA for the only time of his career. While Rodman had the best years of his career in Detroit. He won two rings with the Bad Boys, made his only two All Star appearances as a Pistons (though he should definitely have been All Star in his Spurs and Bulls years as well) and was twice the DPOY there. He also had the best scoring year of his career in Detroit (the year the Bad Boys won their second ring) and his two best rebounding years, he grabbed more than 18 RPG twice (!).

No problem there I 100% agree with this roster.

I would rather put Iverson as the PG to allow Greer to be in the lineup here. Cause as good as Cheeks was, Hal Greer was definitely a better player overall. And Iverson played PG several times and even started at PG for the first two years of his career, before Brown and Snow's arrivals so it's definitely possible to mention him at this position.

I 100% agree with this roster. A case could eventually be made for Ginobili but I would pick Alvin over him too.

Connie Hawkins has to start over Marion. It is true that The Hawk never played at 100% in his NBA days because he was unfairly suspended by the NBA for several years and had multiple injuries but he still amazingly managed to play at a very high level in his NBA days. For example, in the last game of his rookie season, he had 44 pts, 20 rbds, 8 asts, 5 stls and 5 blks (!)). He is in my opinion the most versatile player ever. He also invented many basketball moves and dunks. He was more than just a basketball player, he was a true artist. And it is clearly in Phoenix that he had the best years of his NBA career. He just has to start here.

I would also put Westphal over Davis. Paul was a combo guard but he started at SG for most of his career. Now he didn't play in Phoenix for as long as Walter but he was clearly a better player. Paul even led the Suns to their first Finals ever. And he was All Star and All NBA during four of his five years as a Sun. While if Davis was a multiple All Star too, he was All NBA only twice in his 11 years as a Sun.

And I would personally put Chambers as the C. Chambers was overall a better player. Yes Stoudemire is more athletic and more dominant in the paint, but Chambers was a better shooter, passer, defender, leader and better in the clutch than Amaré. And he mastered more the fundamentals. Which is why I would pick him over Stat.

However it's true that if Chambers played C many times during his career, and his Suns days, he never started at C. Contrary to Stat, who, like Chambers, is yet more a PF than a C. So as I know that you want to mention players only at the position they started at I guess that I'm fine with Stat.

I would rather have DJ at SG. Dennis was a combo guard and in his Seattle days he started at SG. Ray had some very nice years in Seattle but I think that Johnson just achieved more than him. He even led the team to their only ring ever. And was named Finals MVP that year. He's also a much better defender than Ray, one of the very best defenders ever. DJ was a fantastic player, one of my personal favorites. I've always found him to be quite underrated. For example when people think about the 80's Celtics they immediately think about Bird, McHale and Parish. Yet DJ was just as important as Parish and McHale for that team.

Also it might be a bit early to put Durant at SF, maybe I would put the X Man instead... I dunno.

Sam Cassell has to be the PG. I know he's only played two years in Minnesota but as I already said in this post a player that didn't stay long with a team can nonetheless be mentioned in an All Time roster if he accomplished great things with that team. That's exactly the case for Sam I Am. Whose arrival in that team, along with the arrival of Spree, gave a new dimension to that team and allowed them to pass the first round for the first and only time of their history. Sam even had the best year of his career as a Wolve, he was the clutch player, the go to guy of the team, the real leader and was All Star and All NBA for the first and only time of his career. Many even think that if Cassell wasn't injured against the Lakers in 2004, the Wolves would have made it to the Finals and would have had a great chance to win the ring. So even if he only played two years he definitely achieved enough to be mentioned here. Especially that Pooh only played three years as a Wolve... And all of the best PGs the Wolves had (Starbury, Brandon, etc..) didn't stay long as well. Besides the Wolves are a very young franchise and the number of years that a player played with the franchise is less important IMO.

And I'm not sure about the SG. I mean sure West was a Wolve for quite some time, nine years, but Sprewell and Rider were definitely better players than him. And when we look at it West was truly in the rotation for six years. Still is twice as much as Rider, but still... I dunno. I think I would still put Rider as the starting SG. But it's arguable.

There is honestly no way that Webber can be mentioned in that roster. He only played one year with the team... And the way he left, I doubt that Warriors fans want to consider him as a Warrior anyway... I would put Thurmond as the PF. He was rather a C but could play PF. However it's true that he played C for most of his career.. But he played PF his two first seasons as a Warrior, Chamberlain was the C. I don't know if it's gonna be enough for you.. But after all T Mac only played at SF for two years in Houston and you picked him anyway. But anyhow, if you still don't wanna pick him I guess I'd go with Joe Fulks. The first star of the league. Fulks would rather be a SF (actually even a SG today) but he started at PF for most of his career.

I agree with this roster. Although a case could be made for King over Dandridge. It's arguable, but I'm fine with Bob.

By the way I checked the Knicks roster and there is honestly no way that you can put Guerin over Monroe. Guerin is one of our best players ever, that's for sure, but Earl The Pearl is clearly the best SG that we ever had. He has to be in that lineup.

Oh and I don't understand why you still have Grant Hill in the Magic's lineup. Honestly the dude was injured almost all the time in Orlando... And was not even close to the level at which he played with Detroit. I understand that you don't want to put McGrady at SF but then you should mention Dennis Scott as the SF instead of Hill. He was not a superstar but he was quite a good player nonetheless, a true starter, and he brought more to the franchise than Grant, no doubt about that.

Also I see that you still have Cliff Hagan as the starting SG in Atlanta and, as great as Hagan was, I honestly still think that Pistol Pete should be mentioned instead of him. Besides Cliff was rather a SF, and I even think that he started at SF all of his career (if I'm not mystaken).

And I don't understand why you still have Tarpley as the starting C as Roy only had two complete seasons... He wasted his career and just can't be mentioned in the All Time roster IMO. I understand that you don't wanna put Perkins at C but then you should mention James Donaldson as the Mavs C, he was not a superstar but he was a true center, clearly the best pure center that the Mavs ever had so far and was even All Star once as a Mav.

Well anyway that's just my two cents, just trying to contribute haha.

EDIT : I understand that you don't want to put Lucas at C, for the Kings roster, but then you should put Embry instead of Lacey. He was a better player IMO. Besides the team was more succesful when Embry was a King, and Lacey was only All Star once, while Embry was five time All Star.

Edited by Oliver P

• Owner

I love the contribution, but you're bouncing around a lot. Just go back and re-read your post without the things you quoted.

"I know he played just two years, but..."

"He only played two years for them, so..."

"I know you want players at their true positions, but..."

"He didn't play PF most of his stay, so..."

The worst part about doing these is trying to stick to a criteria. I've bent it a bit, but not to the point where I'm recklessly adding players in wrong positions, never basing it on tenure, just to fit the top five players in that team's history.

A great example of why this is such a problem is, last night, I asked my brother (who loves Iverson more than I do Kobe) who the greatest PG in Sixers history was. He sat and thought about it, and then said Mo Cheeks. He didn't consider Iverson.

I want people to look at the roster and identify these players as the greatest at that position, and for that franchise. I'm not putting together the five greatest overall, or a team of players that would do well on the court together. If I asked someone who the greatest PF in Laker history was, and they told me Kareem, I'd slap the shit out of them, and I think you would too.

----------

With that said, I'll make some changes to the new ones.

While Rodman had the best years of his career in Detroit. He won two rings with the Bad Boys, made his only two All Star appearances as a Pistons (though he should definitely have been All Star in his Spurs and Bulls years as well) and was twice the DPOY there. He also had the best scoring year of his career in Detroit (the year the Bad Boys won their second ring) and his two best rebounding years, he grabbed more than 18 RPG twice (!).
Besides it's in Chicago that Rodman had his best years, especially the 96 Finals that even are his career highlights.

???

Regardless of that, I'll probably add Rodman.

I would rather have DJ at SG. Dennis was a combo guard and in his Seattle days he started at SG. Ray had some very nice years in Seattle but I think that Johnson just achieved more than him. He even led the team to their only ring ever. And was named Finals MVP that year. He's also a much better defender than Ray, one of the very best defenders ever. DJ was a fantastic player, one of my personal favorites. I've always found him to be quite underrated. For example when people think about the 80's Celtics they immediately think about Bird, McHale and Parish. Yet DJ was just as important as Parish and McHale for that team.

I can't do that to Allen. The difference between Ray and DJ was that Ray Allen was the primary scoring option, one of the greatest shooters of all-time (to combat your argument about DJ's defense) and he actually led the team almost every season he was with them.

The Finals MVP can't sway my decision. Tony Parker won a Finals MVP when Duncan was leading the team. If they both played the same position, there'd be no way on Earth I'd stick Parker over Duncan.

Ray Allen was Seattle, at one point. Dennis Johnson wasn't. That 1979 team was Gus' team. He took the shots and ran the offense, and it was Gus that basically turned into a superstar during the playoffs, averaged almost 27 a game and shot a sky-high FG percentage.

And I don't understand why you still have Tarpley as the starting C as Roy only had two complete seasons... He wasted his career and just can't be mentioned in the All Time roster IMO. I understand that you don't wanna put Perkins at C but then you should mention James Donaldson as the Mavs C, he was not a superstar but he was a true center, clearly the best pure center that the Mavs ever had so far and was even All Star once as a Mav.

Donaldson never crossed my mind, but that makes more sense.

Hill is out...but he's no doubt the best SF in Orlando's history if he stayed healthy for at least 2-3 more seasons (didn't look at his games played, thought he had a couple more seasons under his belt over there).

I can't comment on the rest because I need to leave, but I read all of it. I'm sure I'll change a few things. It's difficult running through complete franchise histories, 1950's - present, especially when I'm diving into an era where these guys really had it easier. When I'm down there, I don't get an accurate position for these players, so I have to read up on the rosters and the minutes played (they don't tell me games started), and go through 5-10 seasons for some of these guys.

Back in late 2009, I created a topic for each team, asking us to help with these...and there were very few replies altogether, so I had no choice but to assume this was going to be all about me, then I'd get the feedback later.

• Owner

Really quick...

He had some very good years in Portland but he did not achieve many things, I mean the team didn't go very far and he was not even All Star or All NBA once as a Blazer.

But he should've been. He averaged 27 a game and shot 52% from the floor in one of those seasons (averaged 25 the previous season with Portland as well), and yet he didn't make the ASG? That's a big reason why I'm not looking at achievements like that.

Look at the defensive-minded players that have been robbed of a Defensive 1st or 2nd team over the years. Why do Shaq and Kobe have a combined two MVP's? It's the same thing.

And, sure, the Blazers were better with Cliff...because they had Drexler, Williams, Kersey, Porter, and a well-rounded team that could go all the way to the Finals.