Kyrie Irving Declares for the Draft

Teletopez

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke freshman guard Kyrie Irving will enter the 2011 NBA Draft with plans to hire an agent, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced Wednesday. The 2011 NBA Draft will be held on June 23 in New York City and Irving is expected to be among the top picks in the draft.

“Our whole program is overjoyed with having Kyrie here for one year and that he has the chance now to pursue a dream of being a high draft pick and a great player in the NBA,” said Krzyzewski. “We are totally supportive of Kyrie, his family and his decision. We look forward to continuing to work with him during the upcoming months leading to his entry into the NBA and afterwards while he is an NBA player. He is a great young man, a terrific student, and a truly amazing representative for our program and for Duke. We love him and are very happy for him and his family.”

Irving, a 6-2 guard from West Orange, N.J., played in just 11 games this season, sitting out 26 contests with a toe injury on his right foot. He averaged 17.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game while shooting .529 (55-of-104) from the field, .462 (18-of-39) from behind the three-point line and .901 (64-of-71) from the free throw line. Irving started the first eight games of the year, averaging 17.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game during that time frame. He returned to action in the NCAA Tournament and averaged 17.7 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game in Duke’s three outings.

“I want to thank the entire staff at Duke, especially the coaches,” said Irving. “It was a great experience playing for Coach K. He taught me a lot about the game. Even when I was hurt, I learned a lot. Also a special thanks goes to the medical staff for getting me back on the court for the NCAA Tournament and my teammates for sticking with me throughout the entire year. Duke offered me an experience I could never have imagined.”

GoDuke.com

Pretty much saying, Hi Welcome To The Cavaliers.

I don't understand how you can say that. One the lottery hasn't even happened yet and two even if the Cavs do get the number 1 pick what makes you think they'll take Irving?

It was never really a question if he would enter the draft or not as far as I am concerned. With Austin Rivers and Quin Cook coming to Duke next season, as well as Dawkins and Curry already there, you knew that everybody was aware of Irving's intentions of being a one and done for a while now.

As far as I am concerned, if you are a lock to be picked in the top 5, you enter the draft, which is still why I think guys like Barnes, Sullinger and Walker (should all three actually go back for another year) are idiots, at least from a financial/professional standpoint, for going back. Even if there is a lockout, I don't see it ever being a smart thing to pass up being a lock for being picked int he top 5.