Brian Dulik: Joe Tait leaving mark on Cavs, Cleveland and his profession

Chuck Swirsky is one of the NBA’s top play-by-play announcers, building a successful career as the radio voice of the Chicago Bulls and Toronto Raptors.

But long before he reached the pros, he was a 19-year-old intern at WWWE 1100-AM, where he had the opportunity to work under Joe Tait.

“I was a freshman at Ohio University, and let me tell you, it was an absolute pleasure to learn from the best,” Swirsky said Friday before calling the Bulls’ 93-82 victory over the Cavaliers. “I am so glad it worked out to be here tonight for his celebration.

“Joe is an icon and a true legend who has left an indelible mark in broadcasting. In this business, he is the solar system and we are all just planets in it.”

Though Tait would likely cringe at being compared to a celestial body, there was no mistaking the genuine affection he was showered with on “Joe Tait Appreciation Night” at Quicken Loans Arena.

The evening-long celebration was highlighted by the unveiling of a banner in the rafters with his name and a microphone on it, alongside the other 10 the franchise has raised since being founded in 1970.

Tait was also presented with a Cavalier Legends black jacket from former Cleveland players Austin Carr, Campy Russell, Bobby “Bingo” Smith, Elmore Smith, Jim Chones and Harry Davis - a gesture he visibly appreciated.

“Of all the players who came through town, I am surrounded by the ones that I remember most fondly and enjoyed working with while they were here,” the 73-year-old Medina County resident said. “I am honored to be one of them.”

In classic Tait fashion, he quickly added, “Now, I am officially an old guy. This will look spiffy down at Cloverleaf (High School, where he does a lot of announcing and fundraising).”

While he won’t officially call it a career until Wednesday when the Cavaliers host Washington in their season finale, Tait said he had no regrets about his decision to retire after 39 seasons.

With 3,381 games under his belt and just one to go, the original voice of the team will leave the NBA with a great sense of satisfaction.

“We may not have won any championships, but we had some great times and good people and excellent years together,” Tait said. “I can walk away from the Cavaliers with nothing but positive feelings. I am much the better for having spent so much time here.”

Cleveland’s players also took part in the festivities, donning T-shirts with Tait’s likeness on the back and a replica of his banner on the front.

Power forward J.J. Hickson joked that he only needed 36 more years with the organization to join Tait in the rafters, while guard Daniel “Boobie” Gibson recalled some of Tait’s most memorable calls.

One of them, of course, was his proclamation that “the Pistons have been Boobie-trapped” when Gibson shot the Cavaliers past Detroit in Game 6 of the 2007 Eastern Conference finals. That game also allowed Tait to broadcast his lone NBA Finals, which Cleveland lost in four straight games to the San Antonio Spurs.

“Joe has been an inspiration and a great voice for this city for 39 years,” Russell said. “We all love him and we’re going to miss him, but we wish him well in his retirement.”

Once he leaves “The Q” for the final time, Tait said he plans on spending most of his days working alongside his wife Jean on their farm. He also will become “the full-time voice of the Mount Union Purple Raiders (football team),” and continue to broadcast high school sporting events each winter.

Just don’t count on him coming back for an encore performance with the Cavaliers.

“I’ve had a great run, but I’m not going to miss anything about this job,” he said, adding with a smile. “I’ve squeezed all the juice out of the lemon at this point. I’m happy to go home.”