How will the Lakers "always contend"?

The Lakers will always contend

Kobe has shown signs of slowing down. In about 2-3 years, he's gonna be a (currently) Tim Duncan... old guy. And when he retires in the near coming years, and when PJ retires, who can carry the Lakers? Gasol?

Mitch Kupchak is no genius... he got lucky there's a stupid team like Memphis who was willing to trade its franchise player for scrubs (at the time Marc Gasol was just a second rounder). It's a once-in-a-lifetime, are -you-kidding-me deal. Before the Gasol deal, Laker fans wanted him out, even Kobe wanted him out... and now he's the genius who's gonna bring glory back to Lakers when Kobe retires? I doubt it. I hope Laker fans are not counting on him trading Ebanks, Caracter and 3 first round picks for Blake Griffin. Ron Artest signed for MLE because he wanted to do it, not because of "Mitch's persuasion power"... neither did Blake, Barnes come for cheap because of him.

Back to this quote by Real Deal:

The Lakers will always contend

How? :huh:

---

I think Lakers will suffer a 3-4 year playoffs drought before they get back to playoffs... but it may take them lonngggggg time before they get to championship level again.

• Like 1

• Owner

Had it not been for Magic's bout with HIV, we would not have gone more than 3-4 seasons, since 1979-80, without contending. You can base it all off of that, or just say that there will be free agents lining up to play in Los Angeles, as long as we have the money to pay them (and, eventually, we will). If Dwight doesn't stay in Orlando, his primary target is LA, and everyone knows that.

You're acting like the Lakers sucked before Gasol. In the 2007-08 season, pre-Gasol, we actually had one of the top spots in the West. We were 25-11 (.694) when Bynum fell to injury (which led us to trade for Pau), and we finished the season 57-25 (.695).