Gonzaga PG Courtney Vandersloot has been compared to NBA Legend John Stockton...

Poe

Q & A with Gonzaga's Courtney Vandersloot

By Frank Della Femina, WNBA.com

http://www.wnba.com/media/draft/2011/vandersloot_620_110410.jpg

Gonzaga point guard Courtney Vandersloot has been compared to NBA legend John Stockton, the NHL's Wayne Gretzky and the Seattle Storm's Sue Bird. Given her ability to become the first player in Division I history to amass 2,000 career points and 1,000 career assists, there's a good chance she will one day be the one players are compared to for years to come.

WNBA.com: To finish college with over 2,000 points and over 1,000 assists, what’s it like to leave your mark on not just women’s college basketball but the sport of college basketball as a whole?

Courtney Vandersloot: I think it says a lot about our program and what the program I played in and system I played in. I had teammates. I was in the rare position where I was asked to score and create for others, and that’s just the system I was in and I had teammates behind me who could step up and make the baskets. So it means a lot. It’s been so hectic since the end of the season that with the upcoming Draft it’s been hard to sit and think about it, but I think it will be something that I look back to and think that it was pretty cool.

WNBA.com: An NBA legend like John Stockton has had nothing but great things to say about you. Do you know each other well or talk regularly?

CV: Always [laughs]. He’s around once in a while and every time you have someone like that in your presence you always want to make it a point to at least say hi and he’s one of the most down-to-earth people I’ve ever met. He wants to talk to everybody. It’s not just me, it’s the team. It’s everybody. I think it says a lot about who he is. He has such a mark on the NBA and he’s still from small-town Spokane and wants to talk to everyone.

WNBA.com: Would you say he’s developed into a role model for you?

CV: Absolutely. Just the way he handles himself and his style and how he plays and everything he’s done. He was a little bit before my time but obviously I’ve had the chance to look back and see what he’s done.

Full Q & A Here: http://www.wnba.com/draft/2011/vandersloot_qanda_110410.html

I have seen mock drafts project her as low as 10th. That is absurd. I think she will become the best Point Guard in the WNBA, and in my opinion, the first elite basketball player to play the PG position in the WNBA (no, I do not consider Sue Bird to be an elite overall player). I will have my eye on her in the upcoming seasons and the team that drafts her.

She averaged 30 and 10 at Gonzaga which is mindblowing. She can pass, score, play defense, and pretty much do everything. Im going to go out on a limb here and say that she will be the greatest PG to play in the WNBA based on what she did in Gonzaga.

Edited by Prodigy

She averaged 30 and 10 at Gonzaga which is mindblowing. She can pass, score, play defense, and pretty much do everything. Im going to go out on a limb here and say that she will be the greatest PG to play in the WNBA based on what she did in Gonzaga.

The only reason she went third (and I truly believe she should have been picked second), is because of how deep the draft was this year.

First Maya Moore was a "no-brainer" as a first pick, she's going to be incredible. Possibly better than Diana Taurasi.

Second, Elizabeth Cambage's potential is believed to be sky-high because of her height and shooting ability for being a 6'8'' player, though personally I whole-heartedly believe she is just a project player at this point. Looking at game-film, she doesn't have much true skill at all, and no way is she going to be getting the ball so deep under the basket so easily at the WNBA level. Unlike the Australian league where talent level and b-ball IQ is low in comparison and everyone around her is half her size, she's going to actually have to work for her points, which will take a while for her to acquire the skills necessary to be effective. Which isn't a problem for a team with no talent or depth in the Tulsa Shock (only won 6 games last year).

Third, Amber Harris could have easily been picked higher than her because of her height (nearly 6'6'' and is a PF), athleticism, quickness, and rare abilities with the basketball like ball handling and three-point shooting. She's going to be a terrific player as well.

Also, especially after this draft, Minnesota is STACKED. They chose the Thunder approach to building a team through the draft, and it really payed off. Believe me, they are going to be scary.

Edited by Poe

• 4 weeks later...