New CBA could raise draft age limit

AboveLegit

Several high-ranking NBA team executives told Yahoo! Sports they wouldn’t be surprised if the age limit in the new CBA is pushed to two years in college and 20 years old by the end of that calendar year. One NBA general manager says about two-thirds of teams are in favor of that change. The current CBA states that an American must be out of high school for at least one year and be 19 years old by the end of that calendar year before entering the draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-austin_rivers_nba_age_limit_duke_draft_040811

2 years would give NBA teams a better evaluation of a player's abilities and potential while providing a more polished product. I wouldn't see this as a bad move at all but I do believe that some players should have the choice to enter early if their families need the money. There also is the risk of injury.

Kind of fitting as a Raptors fan with their draft history.

Watch them get the 1st overall pick next season and miss out on very impressive freshman class with guys like Davis, Gilchrist, Rivers, Beal, Kabongo etc...

On a more serious note, this is ridiculous. Even though I disagree with forcing players to go to college for one season, I can at least understand the rational behind that, but forcing them to stay two years is just pushing it. These guys aren't allowed to play in the NBA until they are 20 years old now? Seriously?

Ok I'm not saying that this approach isn't beneficial to both the NBA and the NCAA, which lets face is plummeting fro some reason, but I still can't get behind it. It's just straight up unconstitutional. If you are 18 and someone wants to hire you to do a job, there's no problem.... Oh wait, unless It's NBA and NFL players. This isn't ever an issue when it comes to tennis players or golfers. Don't get me wrong I don't think the game would be better if they let teams draft 16 year olds... But I mean this America. Let's be consistent. Let them go after High School...

This rule was originally made because the NCAA is afraid that the NBA is taking all the good players, and colleges want some too. Now they are they are saying that the NCAA only gets good players for one year, while the NBA gets them for 10+. Well that ain't no fair! Right??

Can't we just admit college basketball sucks? Nobody wants to play there when they can play in the N-B-freaking-A, and get PAYED doing it (well, payed more than college).

I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, it's extended to four years. [expletive] college.

Edited by Poe

This rule was originally made because the NCAA is afraid that the NBA is taking all the good players

Or because the NBA thought it would be beneficial to the players to play a year at the college level to mature and develop..

I like this rule, it's better than what we have in place currently imo, it should be this or you don't have to go. This encourages athletes in school to pursue a 4 year degree. It also makes college basketball a lot better. The reason college basketball isn't what it used to be is because athletes just use it for and done thing now which is stupid for both the athlete and the school. If after 2 years the basketball player still wants to go to the NBA, well then thats fine, but this is a great job to encourage athletes to stay in school.

Or because the NBA thought it would be beneficial to the players to play a year at the college level to mature and develop..

Even if that were true, is that really a reason to force players to wait a year after high school (or two now)?

Even if that were true, is that really a reason to force players to wait a year after high school (or two now)?

Yes, because for every John Wall or Derrick Rose, there's a ton of unproven talent that forces teams to draft potential busts. The age limit, along with this new proposal reduces this issue to an extent, which only helps the quality of draft prospects. I'd rather have ready made, complete players available...especially as a Wizards fan who's had his fair share of disappointments when it comes to the draft. This just simply has not been the case since the influx of early entry players began. Again, there are exceptions, but there are more examples of failed talent because of direct jumps.

I'm sick of seeing players being drafted based on potential, especially with the way the league is today.

I'm sick of seeing players being drafted based on potential, especially with the way the league is today.

So is that a reason for every high school player to have to wait two years to play in the NBA? Because they might not be good?

What about the players that DO wind up good, like the Kobe Bryants and the Kevin Garnetts? Is it really because there is a chance you might end up with a Kwame Brown, that there should be a rule against it?

What about the college players that might NOT be good? You may wind up with a Tim Duncan, or you may wind up with an Adam Morrison. Would that be a reason to force players to play in the Euroleague after college before the pros?

Or can we just admit that it's all BS. Players might be good making the transition from college, making the transition from high school, or the Euroleague. Or they might be bad. But in the end, you know who's choice it is to draft them. The team and the management. They need to do the proper scouting to make sure they got the right guy. If they didn't, it's their fault. It's was their choice.

Besides, teams are starting to draft players that aren't quite NBA-ready and allow them to develop in the Euroleague before fully adding them to the roster. It's not like you can't do the same with high school players!

Just admit it. It's only because college is losing public interest because all the good players are going to the NBA draft younger and younger. All the good players that puts colleges in the spotlight, like the Bird - Magic rivalry, are becoming scarce. It's simple. They want the good players too because they want to keep making money off it.

And that's BS. I say, the best league should get the best players no matter what. If you are good enough to play at the highest level, there should be nothing holding the player back. Besides, you don't need an education to be good at basketball.

• Like 3

This rule is such BS.

These are adults. They don't need babysitters. They should accept the consequences of their actions.

Besides, going to college doesn't ensure that you'll make it to the pros. If you make a team of players that left out of HS and college seniors or juniors, the high schoolers across the board have more talent.

Teams complain that they struggle evaluating HS talent...maybe they just have bad scouting departments. The NBA draft is a crapshoot anyways, regardless of who is in the draft. That's why guys like Wesley Matthews go undrafted and Hasheem Thabeet go 2nd overall. Why should HS kids get punished for team's incompitence when it comes to scouting? It's stupid.

I personally feel this rules is ridiculous (and if someone challenged it in court would likely win) but maybe they should just come to a compromise similar to baseball: You can declare for the draft out of HS, but if you go to college, you must stay at least two years.

This rule is such BS.

These are adults. They don't need babysitters. They should accept the consequences of their actions.

Besides, going to college doesn't ensure that you'll make it to the pros. If you make a team of players that left out of HS and college seniors or juniors, the high schoolers across the board have more talent.

Teams complain that they struggle evaluating HS talent...maybe they just have bad scouting departments. The NBA draft is a crapshoot anyways, regardless of who is in the draft. That's why guys like Wesley Matthews go undrafted and Hasheem Thabeet go 2nd overall. Why should HS kids get punished for team's incompitence when it comes to scouting? It's stupid.

I personally feel this rules is ridiculous (and if someone challenged it in court would likely win) but maybe they should just come to a compromise similar to baseball: You can declare for the draft out of HS, but if you go to college, you must stay at least two years.

They are adults? No sorry they aren't I'm going to be a senior in college and I'll be the first to admit that I may be mature at times but I'm far from being an adult. Coming out of high school at the age of 17 or 18 no one is an 'adult' by any means, and a lot of them do need babysitters or they will wreck their careers.

btw, lol @ misspelling incompetence, irony is ironic.

• Like 2

So is that a reason for every high school player to have to wait two years to play in the NBA? Because they might not be good?

What about the players that DO wind up good, like the Kobe Bryants and the Kevin Garnetts? Is it really because there is a chance you might end up with a Kwame Brown, that there should be a rule against it?

What about the college players that might NOT be good? You may wind up with a Tim Duncan, or you may wind up with an Adam Morrison. Would that be a reason to force players to play in the Euroleague after college before the pros?

What you are not understanding is the effect this has on the QUALITY of the game.

How is it that of all of the pro sports, it is only basketball that people even question the talent of today compared to yesterday. Even the NFL players of 15 years ago get destroyed by todays players. What has changed so drastically in the NBA that has caused this decline of overall talent. It isn't that more people are playing soccer.... Basketball has grown faster internationally than any other sport. My theory, is that the youth movement, through both AAU and a lack of college restrictions has led to a decline in the game. That just hasn't developed and you convince me as to why. Other than saying that they were the greatest. Why aren't todays greatest AS great? Whats the missing link?

I can't argue with you that guys that were talented enough to make the jump in a couple of situations have done better than many who don't, but thats not entirely the big picture. My biggest point is that those players were NOT ready for the NBA WHEN THEY CAME OUT. Regardless of what their careers have brought, they were not the players near their prime that they should have been and would have been if they came out later. The reason that that is detrimental is because it sets back franchises that are already the worse in the league. Before I go any further, what is the most profitable and popular sport in America, the NFL. What has the NFL truly established in the last 10 years?

Jermaine O'Neal is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. He was drafted out of high school and essentially spent his first 4 years in the NBA doing the development he should have been doing in college for 4 years. He was NOT NBA ready, even though he had the makeup of an eventual all star. So what happens? Portland pays him millions of dollars to develop his skills for 4 years, so that he can get out of his contract when he was ACTUALLY ready to contribute so that he could become an all star on Indiana. Now, I know that you will tell me that GM's should know better and shouldn't have drafted him, but the cycle that has now been created has left the college ranks so dry because of early entrants, the only thing NBA franchises have left to choose from is "talented" but untested freshman and sophomores, rather than proven AND skilled upperclassmen ready to contribute at elite levels.

Just admit it. It's only because college is losing public interest because all the good players are going to the NBA draft younger and younger. All the good players that puts colleges in the spotlight, like the Bird - Magic rivalry, are becoming scarce. It's simple. They want the good players too because they want to keep making money off it.

LOL is that why tv ratings are up 11% from last year from the tourney? No matter what, fans love the college game, especially those that attend universities that are top ranked basketball programs.

I don't think you fully grasped the concept of a CBA...You do realize the NBA is instituting all of this, the NCAA while gladly would accept the opportunity to play these talented kids, have no part in this decision.

Besides, you don't need an education to be good at basketball.

Yes, just tell that to Latrell Sprewell, Kenny Anderson, and even Scottie Pippen.... Don't be stupid, everyone needs to be educated, it doesn't matter who you are. Come back to me when you actually have an open mind about this.

What you are not understanding is the effect this has on the QUALITY of the game.

The quality of the game has grown drastically and continues to evolve. If Michael Jordan were to play today, he would be one of the stars and not the star. Magic Johnson would not be a star but perhaps a role player (and he certainly wouldn't be playing PG). Just look at his poor shooting form AND poor handles compared to today. Larry Bird may be a bench player. Dr J would be an athletic "project" player at best, but most probably a D-League player. Jerry West would not even be a D-1 college player. He couldn't dribble with his LEFT HAND.

The idea that basketball is somehow getting worse is utterly ridiculous. Please, watch some old basketball games before making these kind of comparisons.

Before I go any further, what is the most profitable and popular sport in America, the NFL. What has the NFL truly established in the last 10 years?

But the NBA is much more popular world-wide, has many overseas players within the league, and the association will be expanding teams to Europe within the next 10 years, while the NFL is almost strictly American (or so I think). I don't get what you are trying to say here.

Jermaine O'Neal is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. He was drafted out of high school and essentially spent his first 4 years in the NBA doing the development he should have been doing in college for 4 years. He was NOT NBA ready, even though he had the makeup of an eventual all star. So what happens? Portland pays him millions of dollars to develop his skills for 4 years, so that he can get out of his contract when he was ACTUALLY ready to contribute so that he could become an all star on Indiana. Now, I know that you will tell me that GM's should know better and shouldn't have drafted him, but the cycle that has now been created has left the college ranks so dry because of early entrants, the only thing NBA franchises have left to choose from is "talented" but untested freshman and sophomores, rather than proven AND skilled upperclassmen ready to contribute at elite levels.

And there you have it. Drafting younger players forces scouts to do a better job. Is that the problem? No.

But the real problem is, as you just said, it leaves colleges without top talent players. And so I repeat myself as usual in these type of arguments.

LOL is that why tv ratings are up 11% from last year from the tourney?

Why did the college ratings go up? Oh. I dunno... maybe because of that 1 year policy made not so long ago by the NBA? Made after having such an increase in high school drafted players in the early 2000s?

Think about it. It wasn't a problem when there weren't many going straight from high school to the pros. But the less high talents are going to college, the longer players will be forced to play there. Trust me. This trend will continue if this two-year rule is made

I don't think you fully grasped the concept of a CBA...You do realize the NBA is instituting all of this, the NCAA while gladly would accept the opportunity to play these talented kids, have no part in this decision.

So you honestly believe the NCAA has absolutely NO part in this whatsoever? OK.

Yes, just tell that to Latrell Sprewell, Kenny Anderson, and even Scottie Pippen....

...and to Antoine Walker and Allen Iverson.... blah blah blah.

Basketball ≠ Knowing how to handle money and themselves. Is there an age limit for acting? No. It's the young actors and their parent's responsibility to know how to handle their own money and obey the law. Not Hollywood's. Not the NBA's.

Edited by Poe

I can't wait for a bunch of 18 year olds to challenge the NBA on their age limit requirements because they would most likely win their case in a landslide. Most states have laws prohibiting age discrimination for employment of anyone 18 years or older. The NBA is going to lose in court very soon when they are challenged.

The NBA has NO legitimate legal claim to keep players who are 18 years old out of the league. If a player was willing to bring the NBA court, the NBA would lose very quickly, and it would be a massacre. The NBa would stand a 0% chance in court.

Edited by Fluttershy

Another reason I forgot to state is that it rolls back salaries in terms of years. Owners prefer paying a guy whose closer to his prime, understanding that the first couple of seasons they won't get a major return on their investment before they have to re-up.

It's also easier to market a guy who has played a few years of college rather than a player who's coming out of high school. With someone like Griffin or Wall, the average fan understands how good they are. It doesn't have anything to do with scouting, most scouts already have a good feel for these players' potential. When a team drafts a high school player, it's much more difficult telling fans that "he's a good pick, trust us". to assure people of buying tickets and merchandise.

The quality of the game has grown drastically and continues to evolve. If Michael Jordan were to play today, he would be one of the stars and not the star. Magic Johnson would not be a star but perhaps a role player (and he certainly wouldn't be playing PG). Just look at his poor shooting form AND poor handles compared to today. Larry Bird may be a bench player. Dr J would be an athletic "project" player at best, but most probably a D-League player. Jerry West would not even be a D-1 college player. He couldn't dribble with his LEFT HAND.

Not sure if you're serious here. I don't want to turn this into an argument about specific players, but you completely got it wrong.

You are under the impression that Bird was just a shooter, Dr. J was just a dunker, and Jerry West was just a guy who happened to hit a few lucky shots at the buzzer.

The idea that basketball is somehow getting worse is utterly ridiculous. Please, watch some old basketball games before making these kind of comparisons.

Why is it that the quality of centers has plummeted to the point where we're considering guys with no offensive skill such as Kendrick Perkins in the top 10 for his position?

Now, while there is an abundance of physically talented 7'0 footers that have come into the league recently, only a select few have developed into good players. Back when Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, Duncan, Kareem, and guys like that came into the NBA, they had 2, 3 or 4 years of college development (and no AAU experience) that allowed them to immediately dominate in the NBA.

But the NBA is much more popular world-wide, has many overseas players within the league, and the association will be expanding teams to Europe within the next 10 years, while the NFL is almost strictly American (or so I think). I don't get what you are trying to say here.

lol that's not the point I'm trying to make. The reason why the NFL has been the most successful and profitable sport is because of the talent it puts out. Sure the average person would probably prefer football over basketball anyway, but it doesn't negate from the fact that the sport itself has done a tremendous job developing it's young talent and assuring teams that what they are getting most of the time, is solid players. The two year rule has done wonders for these players, as it would for the NBA.

It is my understanding that the NFL has an age limit (not to even mention non guaranteed contracts, NBA players' union would just have a collective heart attack on the spot if this were to ever be raised), while baseball has a great farm system in place. Is it just a coincidence that baseball and football have such a strong and loyal base of fans even though they are going though 10 times the scandals (and on a greater scale.. I mean.. congressional hearings? heh) than the NBA and yet nothing can turn off the fans? Is it possibly the quality of the product?

With the NBA raising it's quality of their product, it leads to more interest, more fans, more sponsors, and more international interest. Owners get even more rich to pay higher sums to the athletes they want via FA, and ultimately, more money in both the owners' and athletes' pockets...

better product + more interest = more marketing/ advertising opportunities for the athletes = more money for athletes.

How can someone just say athletes are being robbed out of their money when the league decides to improve its product and raise its standard!?

Why did the college ratings go up? Oh. I dunno... maybe because of that 1 year policy made not so long ago by the NBA? Made after having such an increase in high school drafted players in the early 2000s?

Think about it. It wasn't a problem when there weren't many going straight from high school to the pros. But the less high talents are going to college, the longer players will be forced to play there. Trust me. This trend will continue if this two-year rule is made

So explain to me why TV ratings for march madness this year are the highest since 2005? Keep in mind the CBA didn't establish the age limit till AFTER the tourney.

And you have YET to fully understand my point. It's not JUST players coming out of high school, it's about players that leave early from school. The MAJORITY of players are not fit to enter the league where their game is so raw and unpolished.

So you honestly believe the NCAA has absolutely NO part in this whatsoever? OK.

Yes, because I KNOW the NCAA has nothing to do with this....and you have given me no reason to think otherwise...

...and to Antoine Walker and Allen Iverson.... blah blah blah.

Basketball ≠ Knowing how to handle money and themselves. Is there an age limit for acting? No. It's the young actors and their parent's responsibility to know how to handle their own money and obey the law. Not Hollywood's. Not the NBA's.

Your comparison was totally irrelevant, I simply replied to your bogus statement that basketball players do not need to educate themselves.

They are adults? No sorry they aren't I'm going to be a senior in college and I'll be the first to admit that I may be mature at times but I'm far from being an adult. Coming out of high school at the age of 17 or 18 no one is an 'adult' by any means, and a lot of them do need babysitters or they will wreck their careers.

So because you're immature, why do you want to punish others for it?

Legally these guys are adults, they should be in the NBA. If they want to ruin their lives, it's their choice. Going to college and earning a 4 year degree doesn't mean these guys are mature or their lives won't be ruined.

But the truth that the NBA doesn't want to admit is that HS players succeed more often than they fail. For every DeAngelo Collin's or Leon Smiths there are more DeShawn Stevensons or DeSagana Diops.

The NBA and NCAA needs to stop with this BS about them caring about the player's well-being. They don't give a crap about the players. The NCAA is only worried about having quality indentured servants that can help their product. The NBA doesn't care about these guys either. The quality of the game isn't deminished by HS players, the best players in the game have been HS players. It's the owners that want the rule because they can't figure how to scout these guys.

• Like 1

Legally these guys are adults, they should be in the NBA. If they want to ruin their lives, it's their choice. Going to college and earning a 4 year degree doesn't mean these guys are mature or their lives won't be ruined.

Like every job in this world, you have to be qualified. If you cannot meet the requirements of that work place, you can't be hired. Same thing applies to the NBA.

But the truth that the NBA doesn't want to admit is that HS players succeed more often than they fail.

lol, good joke..

For every DeAngelo Collin's or Leon Smiths there are more DeShawn Stevensons or DeSagana Diops.

Once again, no one is recognizing the fact that the CBA is wanting to extend a players' time in the college game. This current proposal has nothing to do with high school players entering the league..

The NBA and NCAA needs to stop with this BS about them caring about the player's well-being. They don't give a crap about the players. The NCAA is only worried about having quality indentured servants that can help their product. The NBA doesn't care about these guys either.

Am I the only one who realizes the NCAA has no bearing whatsoever on the CBA?

The quality of the game isn't deminished by HS players, the best players in the game have been HS players.

Iif you're going to cry murder over these 4 guys in last 13 yrs being snubbed for a couple of years, we have covered that already. A really talented player who spends 2 yrs in college always comes out ready to play, a borderline allstar, which they are happy to do in 2 yrs of NBA anyways. Only difference is, do we help out 3-4 guys every generation (are we really helping them..? jury is out.. they do certainly benefit from national exposure on college stage and certainly earn more in endorsements as soon as they enter), or do we screw over 30-40 guys in the same time period?

I am not a proponent of screwing young athletes, rather I don't like seeing the likes of: Ndudi Ebi, Outlaw, Kwame, Green, Leon Smith, Telfair, James Lang, Leon Smith.. blowing away really promising careers, by not being mature enough and by listening to uneducated amateurs around them. And not to forget medium range guys who may or may not end up being busts but had enough talent and ability to come out of college as stars and get really high rookie contracts, as rookie contracts for top picks pay 15-20 mil... instead of pocket change they've been getting, but also who could have polished their skills in college and gotten heavy minutes and a chance right away instead of getting 5-10 mins per.. guys like: Blatche, C.J. Miles, Louis Williams, Amir Johnson, Shaun Livingson, Robert Swift, J.R. Smith, Dorell Wright...And this is just since 2003.

So because you're immature, why do you want to punish others for it?

But the truth that the NBA doesn't want to admit is that HS players succeed more often than they fail. For every DeAngelo Collin's or Leon Smiths there are more DeShawn Stevensons or DeSagana Diops.

The NBA and NCAA needs to stop with this BS about them caring about the player's well-being. They don't give a crap about the players. The NCAA is only worried about having quality indentured servants that can help their product. The NBA doesn't care about these guys either. The quality of the game isn't deminished by HS players, the best players in the game have been HS players. It's the owners that want the rule because they can't figure how to scout these guys.

What? First of all, I'm actually very mature for my age but I know a lot of people my age or younger would be very overwhlemed by the NBA lifestyle. Secondly who say I wanted to punish them? And how is it a punishment to have to play college ball. Maybe you should re read my posts. Legally they may be an adult but mentally they are not.

Edited by Pinkie Pie

Like every job in this world, you have to be qualified. If you cannot meet the requirements of that work place, you can't be hired. Same thing applies to the NBA.

Which is not relevant in basketball since no degree is required to play and the NBA proved a degree is not required as their best players don't have degrees. Further the CBA doesn't even require you go to college, just be two years out of high school .

Apples and oranges.

These guys aren't performing heart surgery, they're putting the ball in a hoop. And guess what? Some owners and GMs are willing to have HS players in the NBA...so clearly this isn't about being qualified.

lol, good joke..

What's the purpose of going to college, ultimately? To end up in a profession were you make a good living? Even if a guy is a bust like Telfair or Kwame, these guys are set for life if they manage their money properly. So yeah, they have succeeded.

Once again, no one is recognizing the fact that the CBA is wanting to extend a players' time in the college game. This current proposal has nothing to do with high school players entering the league..

Of course it has everything to do with keeping HS players out of the NBA. Can a HS player go straight to the NBA now? No. The purpose isn't to extend player's time in college since it doesn't require players to actually go to college.

Am I the only one who realizes the NCAA has no bearing whatsoever on the CBA?

I never said they did, but they're one of the beneficiaries, so they clearly have a dog in the fight.

My only comment about the NCAA is this BS about them caring about players. They don't. Neither do the universities.

Iif you're going to cry murder over these 4 guys in last 13 yrs being snubbed for a couple of years, we have covered that already. A really talented player who spends 2 yrs in college always comes out ready to play, a borderline allstar, which they are happy to do in 2 yrs of NBA anyways. Only difference is, do we help out 3-4 guys every generation (are we really helping them..? jury is out.. they do certainly benefit from national exposure on college stage and certainly earn more in endorsements as soon as they enter), or do we screw over 30-40 guys in the same time period?

Crying? Snubbed? I don't even get this comment or where you're going with it.

I am not a proponent of screwing young athletes, rather I don't like seeing the likes of: Ndudi Ebi, Outlaw, Kwame, Green, Leon Smith, Telfair, James Lang, Leon Smith.. blowing away really promising careers, by not being mature enough and by listening to uneducated amateurs around them. And not to forget medium range guys who may or may not end up being busts but had enough talent and ability to come out of college as stars and get really high rookie contracts, as rookie contracts for top picks pay 15-20 mil... instead of pocket change they've been getting, but also who could have polished their skills in college and gotten heavy minutes and a chance right away instead of getting 5-10 mins per.. guys like: Blatche, C.J. Miles, Louis Williams, Amir Johnson, Shaun Livingson, Robert Swift, J.R. Smith, Dorell Wright...And this is just since 2003.

First of all no one is screwing these players. They CHOSE to declare for the draft. No one forced them. They're adults, and live everyone else they live with the consequences of their actions.

HS players succeed more than they fail. Kobe, KG, LeBron, Dwight, T-Mac, Amare, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis, Ty Chandler, Andrew Bynum, Andray Blatche, Harrington, CJ Miles, Lou Will, Al Jefferson, Eddy Curry, Stevenson, Kwame, Diop, Perkins, Livingston, Webster, Amir Johnson, Outlaw, Dorrell Wright.

All these guys have succeeded. Even if it took them a while, they still succeed more than failed. They've made money and all have played key roles on team. Going 4 years to school doesn't gurantee you'll be a success. There are far more Joey Graham's than Tim Duncans.

And besides, it's complete BS to have a player in school that doesn't even want to be there. Guys like Rose and Wall didn't need to go to school. They would have been top picks either way. All they did was risk a career ending injury by playing for free for a year.

What? First of all, I'm actually very mature for my age but I know a lot of people my age or younger would be very overwhlemed by the NBA lifestyle.

Well not everyone is like you or your friends. Some players are ready mentally to make the leap. Why should a player who is fully capable of taking that step be help back because someone else who wasn't ready failed?

And how is it a punishment to have to play college ball.

You're forcing them to be indentured servants. They don't want to be in college, they don't care about school. You're forcing them to play for free while the NCAA and the universities make millions of dollars off them when they have no intentions of staying 4 years to get a degree.

And while playing for free, they're running the risk of getting injured. Chris Marcus had potential to be a 1st round pick, got hurt, missed a season, and you never heard of him again.

Legally they may be an adult but mentally they are not.

Legally being an adult holds major weight. Plus going to college doesn't make you more mature. If a player is an immature d-bag, he'll just be an immature d-bag in college before being an immature d-bag in the NBA.

Edited by ?QuestionMark?

Well not everyone is like you or your friends. Some players are ready mentally to make the leap. Why should a player who is fully capable of taking that step be help back because someone else who wasn't ready failed?

You're forcing them to be indentured servants. They don't want to be in college, they don't care about school. You're forcing them to play for free while the NCAA and the universities make millions of dollars off them when they have no intentions of staying 4 years to get a degree.

And while playing for free, they're running the risk of getting injured. Chris Marcus had potential to be a 1st round pick, got hurt, missed a season, and you never heard of him again.

Legally being an adult holds major weight. Plus going to college doesn't make you more mature. If a player is an immature d-bag, he'll just be an immature d-bag in college before being an immature d-bag in the NBA.

Indentured servants? God you sound like a moron. Most of them aren't playing for free, they are playing for a free education, which is priceless, stop being so ignorant. I understand where you are coming from but then why don't we allow kids to join the NBA when they are 16, who cares about high school right? There's good arguments for both sides, and I don't think they should have to go to college, but if you are going to make em go, make em go for 2 years. Edited by Pinkie Pie