Terry Davis on Ed: "He's Going to be Sleeping in the Weight Room"

But Terry Davis has a promise for you, Toronto. Come the next NBA season, whenever it is, his son Ed is going to be 15 or 20 pounds heavier. Minimum. The Raptors rookie centre, who did more than merely keep body and soul together despite missing 17 games with a knee injury, already has an inkling he’ll be in the weight room a great deal. But in case he’s forgotten, his ex-NBA tough guy father will remind him the second he steps through the threshold of the family home.

“He’s going to be sleeping in the weight room,” Terry said with a chuckle. “Matter of fact, I already have a pillow for him.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/jeff-blair/bigger-and-better-things-ahead-for-raptors-ed-davis/article1984687/

Davis was a very pleseant surprise this season as I didn't think that he would contribute as much as he did this year, but the one thing that he needs work on more than anything else would definitely be adding weight to his frame as he got pushed around down low on defense and when battling for rebounds a little too often.

I have no concerns about him adding the necessary muscle, though, considering who is dad is and the fact that Ben Wallace is supposed to be really close with Ed and his family as well. Those two guys will definitely whip him into shape.

I definitely liked the pick when it first happened as I did not expect him to fall to 13 on draft night, but after seeing him play his rookie season, I'm probably even happier with the pick than I was on draft night as he is a lot better than I expected him to be during his rookie season.

• 7 months later...

I was watching an interview with Davis on Raptors.com and he mentioned that he put on about 16 or 17 pounds in the offseason.

If that is the case, he would be around 240-245 or so.

If the reptorts of Amir being up to 240-250 are true as well, and he certainly looks bigger, I am really looking forward to seeing how these two are able to hold their own in the paint. They are good defensively positionally and understand where they need to be on the court, but they both simply couldn't match up strength wise. Hopefully with the added muscle, they will be able to hold their position more.

I also hope that they are able to keep on the additional weight as we all saw how Bosh lost his extra bulk as the season went on, and that was during a normal year. It will be even more difficult in a condensed schedule like this one.