Some Minor Draft News: Selby, Singleton, Leonard Declare; Draft Ties Broken

Built Ford Tough

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6355780

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Freshman guard Josh Selby is declaring for the NBA draft, leaving Kansas with only two players who had a significant role in last season's 35-3 record.

The 6-foot-3 Selby was rated the overall No. 1 prospect in the nation when Kansas coach Bill Self signed him last year, but was suspended the first nine games by the NCAA for amateurism violations. He also missed several more with a foot injury and wound up averaging 7.9 points, 2.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 26 games.

Selby had spent more than a week working out in Las Vegas testing NBA interest. He said Thursday on Twitter that he will miss Allen Fieldhouse, but was looking forward to "a new journey."

He added: "I will not return to Kansas next year. Making my dream a reality."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6356697

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard says he'll hire an agent and enter the NBA draft, meaning the Aztecs are losing four starters from the best team in school history.

Leonard is skipping his final two seasons after helping the Aztecs go 34-3 and reach the NCAA round of 16 for the first time. The Aztecs lost to eventual national champion Connecticut in the West regional semifinal.

Coach Steve Fisher met with Leonard and his family after the Final Four.

"We talked about where we thought I would be selected in the draft," Leonard said in a statement. "Coach Fisher gave me great advice and helped me with my decision that I should move forward with the process. This is very exciting. I have been preparing my whole life to play in the NBA and now I will have that chance."

Leonard, from Riverside, led the Aztecs with 15.5 points and 10.6 rebounds per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6347500

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State junior Chris Singleton, who led the Seminoles to three consecutive NCAA tournaments, said Wednesday he'll forego his final year of collegiate eligibility to enter the NBA draft.

Singleton said he has not yet signed with an agent, but is unlikely to change his mind about leaving school early.

"Unless I hear something out of the ordinary that comes from the [NBA] offices, I'm going to go for it," said Singleton, who is finishing the semester at Florida State and will be about 18 hours shy of graduation.

He becomes the fourth Seminole in as many years projected as a high NBA draft choice. Al Thornton, now with Golden State, was a first-round pick in 2007, Toney Douglas went late in the first round to the New York Knicks in 2009 and Solomon Alabi was a second-round pick last year.

Singleton leaves early with the blessing of his coach.

"He's ready," Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton said Wednesday. "Chris brings an intangible to the NBA. He's a lockdown defender and can play three, four positions."

The 6-9 Singleton was one of the nation's top defenders and led the Seminoles in scoring and rebounding this season. He missed several games late in the season with a broken right foot, but came back to play in the NCAA tournament.

Singleton was chosen the Atlantic Coast Conference defensive player of the year in the 2009-2010 season as a sophomore and just missed repeating this past season after an injury knocked him out of the final five games of the regular season.

In other news, the NBA held their coin flip tiebreakers and the results were:

2011 NBA Draft Ties Broken: Kings over Nets; Hornets over Grizzlies; Mavericks over Lakers

• Owner
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Freshman guard Josh Selby is declaring for the NBA draft, leaving Kansas with only two players who had a significant role in last season's 35-3 record.

We were left with two even before Selby declared.

If I was Selby i would return for one more year cuz his stats aint good enogh and he wont be drafted yearly.

With how terrible this draft is going to be, I'm sure some team will take a chance on him in the 20-25 range simply because of how highly regarded he was coming out of high school and because he still has that potential tag on him.

Going back to school and having another bad year under Self (something had to have gone on between the two) would do worse for his stock than entering the draft now, especially considering next years draft looks to be a lot deeper.

• Owner

Going back to school and having another bad year under Self (something had to have gone on between the two) would do worse for his stock than entering the draft now, especially considering next years draft looks to be a lot deeper.

Well, he messed his ankle up badly, and since the injury, his minutes AND numbers dipped.

But, I'm not going to defend him TOO much because he was overrated to begin with, even by me.