There's certainly a lot of uncertainty

ChosenOne

Getting on same page

The first step will be to determine if Adelman will return. He has said he has not lost his desire to coach but said this week that he has questions for Morey and indicated he will want more of a partnership.

"I have tried to be positive about the fact this has been a good group to coach," Adelman said. "I'm sure (members of management) have some thoughts about the way things should have been done or will be done in the future; I have the same things. I want to hear what they have and what their opinion is.

"You cannot succeed in this league unless everybody is on the same page. You may not agree with everything together, but you have to be on the same page, and you have to have each other's back, or the players, they sense it. They know it when there is a disconnect.

"Frankly, I would say in the last month and a half, since the trade (deadline deals of Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks), people have gone their way and we're here to fight the battle. I think you can't do it that way. It's probably not something that was intended. It just happens."

Once the Rockets get their coaching staff in place, they can fully concentrate on the draft. The Rockets have their own first-round pick, No. 14 overall; the Orlando Magic's first-round pick, No. 23 overall; and the Clippers' second-round pick, No. 38 overall. They would rather not use all three picks for players for next season, preferring to use them in a trade or to move up in the draft. They have a .5 percent chance of moving to the top spot in the draft lottery and a 1.8 percent chance of moving into the top three.

Free agency won't begin until there is a new collective bargaining agreement, but there is no secret about what the Rockets will seek to bolster the roster.

"We just need size," guard Kevin Martin said. "We need to find us somebody that drives, alters some shots, get a presence down there. That's no disrespect to Chuck (Hayes), because he's an unbelievable, hell of a player. But he would love to play beside someone with some size also."

There will be a deep collection of centers available in free agency, with the Rockets likely to have money to spend.

Though they have 11 players signed to guaranteed contracts, they have committed to only about $46.1 million, significantly less than this season's $58.044 million salary cap. The cap could decrease greatly (depending on how the new collective bargaining agreement rules are phased in), but not so much that the Rockets cannot spend more in free agency than they could in past seasons.

The Grizzlies' Marc Gasol and the Clippers' DeAndre Jordan will be restricted free agents. Both teams have said they will match offers their centers receive, but the new CBA could bring an immediate or phased-in hard salary cap that could make it difficult for Memphis and could give Los Angeles pause to match offers.

Houston Chronicle - Read More

Edited by ChosenOne