2011 Draft hinge on Andrea Bargnani?

Thinking about the upcoming draft process, you have to wonder how serious BC is about moving the Italian big man, and the final pick in June when all is said and done may go a long ways towards giving fans an idea of Bargs' future.

If a guy like Enes Kanter is the eventual pick, well that's probably a sign that Colangelo is not ready to give up on Andrea yet, moving him to the 4 with the newly acquired big man playing more of a true 5.

However if the Raptors select a player like Leonard, or even another big man who can play the 4 like Jan Vesely, then maybe Bargs is on his way out the door.

(And I don't think drafting a potential PG will give us much of an idea one way or another.)

In fact I'd argue that the Raptors need to have a plan in place for Andrea BEFORE they make their pick next month.

Right now, so much of the team's offensive planning and decisions are based around Andrea and whoever ends up being Toronto's fifth pick needs to "fit" with Bargs. To me that means not requiring the ball in their hands to be effective on offense and that's why sharp-shooters like Chris Singleton and Klay Thompson might be very interesting additions. As well as big men who can rebound the ball and grind out plays make a lot of sense, hence the aforementioned Kanter or someone like Jonas Valanciunas

RAPTORS HQ

This article really talks about players that get drafted and whether or not they fit what the team already has in place. Base on this past season I would argue whether Andrea even fits the core group of young players that we currently have.

I’m all for moving Andrea out and bringing in a center either through free agency or trade.

The Raptors should not care about how a player fits on the current roster when deciding on who to pick and it should definitely be BPA. The fact of tha matter is that if the Raptors become a winning team, the vast majority of the current roster will likely not even be on the team. I can maybe see guys like DeRozan, Davis, Amir, Bayless and Bargnani (as a 6th man) still on the roster if the Raptors become a contender, but even then, none of these players are sure things by any stretch of the imagination (although a case could be made for Amir as a nice energy big off the bench like Davis for the Celtics).

Go BPA and don't even think about drafting for need or whether the guy you are picking may not mesh perfectly well with the current roster.

I wouldn’t disagree for one second that the only route for the raptors to go is drafting the best player available prime example would be last year draft with Ed Davis. This team definitely needs more talent overall so I guess the really question is Does Andrea fit in with the core group of players that we currently have or is he the right piece to the puzzle that Colangelo is putting together?