Raptors seeking to replace assistant general manager Mauizio Gherardini

Dash

In other NBA front office news, the Raptors are assembling a list of candidates to work alongside assistant general manager Marc Eversley under team president Bryan Colangelo. Toronto is believed to be seeking someone with international scouting experience to replace Maurizio Gherardini, whose contract expires June 30.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/29590329

Gherardini was the general manager of Bargnani's Italian club and joined the Raptors front office days before the 2006 NBA draft. Is this a sign that Bargnani is on the outs?

More from Berg:

he may pursue other opportunities, Colangelo is chiefly concerned with filling the hole in the front office left by Masai Ujiri's departure for Denver. A person with knowledge of the Raptors' search said Colangelo is seeking a "high-level basketball person" to fill that role in what is expected to be an ambitious reorganization of the Toronto front office after the draft.

I read somewhere (I'll try to find the link) that they aren't necessarily looking to get rid of Gherardini. Colangelo said he would love to have him back, but the organization just isn't sure if he wants to stay sign a new contract in North America or go back to Italy where he would likely have plenty of GM jobs available as opposed to here where he has none.

There is speculation going around that he only came over here with the expectations that he would have been offered a GM job somewhere in the NBA by now. Since he hasn't, and doesn't appear likely to get one any time soon, they figure he will just go back to Italy.

I don't care about him leaving the Raptors organization as bringing him in was supposed to lead to an influx of good International/European talent for the Raptors, and instead all they got was Bargnani and Belinelli, so he hasn't really done much for the Raptors as an organization. However, he did wonderful work with Basketball Canada so a part of me would like to see him stick around just so that Basketball Canada will continue its substantial growth. It has grown by leaps and bounds since he started working with them.

Either way, though, I would be estatic if the Raptors could bring in an experienced GM into an assistaint role like Colangelo wants to do. Losing Ujiri really left a hole in the Raptors front office as I think he was a fantastic assistaint for Colangelo (as evident by his excellent job in Denver, particularly how he handled the Melo situation).

Maybe this is a dumb question but what impact can an assistant gm have on a team with a guy like Colangelo running the show. If anything I wouldn’t mind seeing Colangelo stick to the president of basketball operations and get someone with experience to continue the rebuilding process that Colangelo has started.